which seat for a long drive?

• Snugride

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Coccoro

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crunchierthanthou

this is sort of an update to my last travel thread (where I couldn't figure out arrangements on the plane) in that we aren't flying at all.

Now I can't decide which seat to take. The snugride so we can take her out of the car if she's sleeping when we stop? or the Coccoro so that I can fit in the back seat next to her? We're going to be gone for a couple weeks, so the draw of the SR is to be more flexible with her naps as we're out and about. However, she doesn't love the car and I can't imagine going the whole 12 hours without being able to sit next to and comfort her if needed.

there's no vote for other, because those are really the only options.

ADS

Chameleon

Well how light is the Coccoro? Is it feasible to keep baby in there and uninstall and carry into wherever you may go? I thought they were going to make a stroller for it anyway, not that that helps you now. So if it is feasible to do that and baby is more comfortable that is what I would do. Maybe bring the snugride and keep it in the trunk. I know you said no other options though.

AtTheSouthDam

Cocorro. Having done a 16 hour trip with a three month old I am sure she would actually like to get out of the car when you stop and be held. :)

J-max

CPST Instructor
I vote the cocorro, too. I stopped into the boutique baby store when in town last week and they had one, and It was so hard to walk out without it :D. We do a 12 hour car trip several times/year and my kids all want out and to move around when we are stopped.

Pixels

Coccoro. Even if she's asleep when it's time for the adults to have a pit stop, and you have to wake her up for it, there will be plenty of time for her to catch up on her sleep. If you can sit next to her in the back seat, it gives you the option to feed a bottle while the other adult drives, or play with toys, read a book, whatever. It also gives your bum a different seat to sit on for a while, which can help with soreness.

crunchierthanthou

Oh, I'm definitely not planning to leave her in the seat the whole time. ;) She's going to have to come out every time she wants to eat- which might not coincide with towns. We're driving through a very rural area and there are only services about every two hours. Part of our driving may be overnight as well.

Well how light is the Coccoro? Is it feasible to keep baby in there and uninstall and carry into wherever you may go? I thought they were going to make a stroller for it anyway, not that that helps you now. So if it is feasible to do that and baby is more comfortable that is what I would do. Maybe bring the snugride and keep it in the trunk. I know you said no other options though.

It's 11 lbs- so not a lot heavier than an infant seat. I'm not sure how the stroller is supposed to work. It's not difficult to install/remove, but doesn't exactly pop out like an infant seat. If it's in my center position (which it will be if we take it on this trip), then my shoulder belt locks when I route it around the back because it's just barely long enough. That makes it a little tricky to get out and I would end up flipping dd on her face if I was trying to do it with her strapped in.

Our car is a wagon and I'm trying really hard to keep the cargo below the back of the seats. That's hard enough packing for 4 people for two weeks. I really don't think I'll have room to take both.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What about installing the Coccoro using the "traditional" belt path and the "extra" lock-off they provide. Then the belt would only have to be unthreaded from underneath her legs, and you wouldn't have to deal w/ a locked shoulder belt.

Dillipop

We drove cross country with my ds when he was 3 months old. We stopped every time he needed to eat or be changed and also for gas, doggy breaks and our own stops. We drove with him in a rfing OHS :eek: century accel. Even if he had been in a bucket seat, we would have taken him out at all stops, awake or asleep.

However- the bucket would have been a lifesaver on the trip as a place to put ds while we tried to eat. We ended up taking a crib quilt and stuffing it around him in the wooden restaurant chairs. It worked, but took a bit of finagling to get him in there with enough support.

With a dog, baby and soft luggage in the back seat, there was no room for one of us to join ds in the back seat. Towards the end of the 10-12 hour days, ds would get antsy and we'd be searching frantically for a place to spend the night. If I could have fit back there, I think it would have made those last 1-2 hours of the day much better.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I voted Coccoro, too, just 'cuz. On a side note, I haven't been around much lately, so I missed the announcement that you got one. Last I knew, you were on the fence. :D

Kat_Momof3

not for one of the reasons you listed, but the because of all the AMAZING padding, I'd get the coccoro... i bet it will improve her opinion of the car.

and it's super light... 11lbs.

You can install it the european way (omg... I so would do it that way), but for ease of taking the seat in and out, you can also install it the more traditional (for the US) way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC