• True Fit for rock solid install

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Buy them both and switch every once in awhile

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other/ Clicky Box

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

NannyMom

My MA is going in Grandma's car. I really like the seat, but Grandma needs a new one and it has less leg room than my other options. No one was complaining of legroom, but since I need a new seat...might as well go for more.

I thought I had my mind made up, get the Radian. It has more leg room than the MA. It would be Sofi's last harness seat in 1 car. Despite measurements, it lasts the longest with my real children (8 year old A still fits). Then I installed it center, and it's not as tight as I'm used too :( It's deffinetly less than 1 inch of movemement, so it's ok. But like many of us here, I prefer 'rock solid' :) If I get one, it'll probobly be the XT.

I went to BRU and put the TF center and it was great. I didn't try for 45* because Sofi's older and those darn lockoffs. But I did get it at a good angle, and in rock solid. And it still offers Sofi more leg room than the MA. I also like that it has "walls" surrounding her. One day, she may end up outboard in someone's car and I like the extra protection. It also wasn't horrible getting to the ahrness adjuster. I'm not paying the extra $100 for the ARB though. At least....I don't think I am :whistle: It has higher top slots than the MA, but still not as high as the Radian (though I haven't tried A in the TF installed lately to compare).

Whichever seat I buy, it'll likely be about a $50 difference so I'm not concerned much about the price.

So what it comes down to is... Get the Radian for the higher top slots? or Get the TF for the rock solid install?

Edit- I don't plan on keeping Sofi harnessed to age 8. But at least 6. She may not hit 40 pounds until after she's 6 years old. There may or may not be future children to pass a convertible seat down to once Sofi's FF.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Keeping a physically and developmentally typical child harnessed to age 8 would not be a priority to me, so I would go for the easier/solider installation. If you needed the extra harness height to keep a child harnessed to age 4, I'd probably answer differently. (And I thought the TrueFit harness was as high as the Radian's?)

NannyMom

Keeping a physically and developmentally typical child harnessed to age 8 would not be a priority to me, so I would go for the easier/solider installation. If you needed the extra harness height to keep a child harnessed to age 4, I'd probably answer differently. (And I thought the TrueFit harness was as high as the Radian's?)

I had asked a question here awhile ago about which harnessed seats got the small kiddos to 40 pounds (ie- kids that could RF to 4). Sofi will RF until at least 4, if not 5. So she's not projected to be 40 pounds until she's 6ish. The consensus I got was the MA probobly couldn't get her to 6 years/ 40 pounds for a booster. (I just edited the OP)

We also measure the GN taller than the RN. But A has more room in the RN than the GN. So I figure it would be the same with the TF as well. :shrug-shoulders:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I voted Radian. I just like it better overall. I have gotten a solid install with it in all the cars we have tried. Now the MDX is a pain. But I blame the MDX.

romanoma

Has sofi sat in them both? does she have a favorite?

If it really is an option, why not buy them both, see which one she likes best, and keep or sell the other?

Blondie87

I voted Radian. I just like it better overall. I have gotten a solid install with it in all the cars we have tried. Now the MDX is a pain. But I blame the MDX.

Hey, I can get it solid in my car! Not FF with seatbelt... but besides that... :)

I voted for get both, cuz I totally would if I could, I don't know if you can though. But if you had to choose I would say Radian XT. I had the True Fit and although I loved it, I love the straps and adjusting in the Radian more... plus it tethers RF. :)

solmama

If you're looking to keep her rear-facing the longest, and aren't too concerned about her reaching 35lbs any time soon, I'd go with the Truefit. It has the tallest shell of all the convertibles (27"), even more than the Radian (25.5"). I also like the lockoffs, which make it easier to install in cars without lower anchors. We do like our Radians, but they take up so much space rear-facing, we only use them as secondary seats in a vehicle where there is no passenger. And the install can be a challenge until you're good at it.

NannyMom

I do want her to RF to at least age 4. She looked to have plenty of room above her head in both seats (maybe 1 inch difference it looked like). Sofi has been using the Radian right now (we're borrowing BabyS's). She sat in the TF when I installed it at BRU. She says she likes the Radian, but that may be because it is BabyS's :) When I tell her we're buying the TF, she says 'ok'.

Money is tight right now, but I've saved up almost enough for the TF. Another week or 2 and I'll have enough. If I go with the Radian instead, another 2-3 weeks and I'll have enough. Time is not an issue, except that I feel like I can't wait :) But I also feel which ever I buy, I'll want the other :rolleyes:

I know many can get the RN rock solid. And I can too. But not in the center of my 2nd row w/o it being over reclined. I can get it solid outboard, but she's staying center.

NannyMom

Remember you can use your tech discount on the Radian.

I know :) That's why I said the price will be about $50 difference. I already know the exact price for the Radian including shipping (unless shipping went up in the last 2 months).

Hmm...can techs write the cost of seats off their taxes :confused: Could it be a work expense if we use it for demos?

Mommy2Marcus

I would also go with a TrueFit for the fact of the longer time for RF. It has a really tall shell. I have never played with a Radian though, so I have no clue how it really compares! I do however own a TF & really like it. So my vote is for the TF for the taller shell for RF!

emandbri

I'd go with the radian. I was able to get it tight but mine was the old recline thingie, I posted about it in your other thread.

I've had the true fit a week and little things are bugging me like I grab the padding when reaching for the straps, it is harder to get her in because of the sides, and I can't reach the adjuster.

AtTheSouthDam

Get them both!
I like my radian xt. I have thought about just getting DD2 her own in Malibu. So I vote for that RF. I think it has more RF leg room too and DD2 loves that she can put her legs over the side and rest them on the bench seat.
But I worry about how upright it sits FF. Now, I have only had DD1 in it FF bush she looked uncomfortable. I Wouldn't want to sit that upright for hours on end. The true fit looks more comfortable for that.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Hmm...can techs write the cost of seats off their taxes :confused: Could it be a work expense if we use it for demos?

I have been self-employed and filing taxes as such for 15+ years. I do not know about carseats specifically, but I do know:

When you write off a business expense, it must be for a business. If you are not earning money (or at least set up as a business), you cannot deduct an expense.

If you are claiming something as a business expense, it must be primarily used for your business. If it rides around in your car with your child thirty days out of the month and comes out for a demo for two hours twice a month, it is not a business expense.

NannyMom

I have been self-employed and filing taxes as such for 15+ years. I do not know about carseats specifically, but I do know:

When you write off a business expense, it must be for a business. If you are not earning money (or at least set up as a business), you cannot deduct an expense.

If you are claiming something as a business expense, it must be primarily used for your business. If it rides around in your car with your child thirty days out of the month and comes out for a demo for two hours twice a month, it is not a business expense.

Thanks for the info. I had a feel that would be the answer.

April

Looks like you've got a bit of a tie going on...and I'm no help. I voted TF, but I think you're going to end up with them both. I'm just sayin':whistle:

IRL, with MY kids, they've got more harness room in the TF than the RN. Griffin outgrew the RN first, and I can easily see that Rayn is closer to the top slots of the RN than the TF, and she rides in them both daily. Unless you're going to use the "up to an inch over the top slots on the RN", which I doubt you are somehow.

If you're going to use it for a long time RF, I pick TF. It takes up less room front to back. Add in the lockoffs aka, guaranteed great install in any vehicle any time, and the SIP, and to me, it's better.

I LOVE my RN, but I love it more as a three across seat than an every day primary seat if that makes any sense. (I use them both everyday, but if space wasn't an issue, I'd choose TF.)

The rf tether on the RN is great, but rebounding is not something I'd be as concerned with compared to SIP for a 4 year old.

I dunno, if it was me, I'd get both, and this poll would be about which one to buy first, lol.

Sorry, I'm just no help at all. Why don't we just talk covers?:p:D

NannyMom

Looks like you've got a bit of a tie going on...and I'm no help. I voted TF, but I think you're going to end up with them both. I'm just sayin':whistle:

IRL, with MY kids, they've got more harness room in the TF than the RN. Griffin outgrew the RN first, and I can easily see that Rayn is closer to the top slots of the RN than the TF, and she rides in them both daily. Unless you're going to use the "up to an inch over the top slots on the RN", which I doubt you are somehow.

If you're going to use it for a long time RF, I pick TF. It takes up less room front to back. Add in the lockoffs aka, guaranteed great install in any vehicle any time, and the SIP, and to me, it's better.

I LOVE my RN, but I love it more as a three across seat than an every day primary seat if that makes any sense. (I use them both everyday, but if space wasn't an issue, I'd choose TF.)

The rf tether on the RN is great, but rebounding is not something I'd be as concerned with compared to SIP for a 4 year old.

I dunno, if it was me, I'd get both, and this poll would be about which one to buy first, lol.

Sorry, I'm just no help at all. Why don't we just talk covers?:p:D

LOL, I have a feeling you're right. I will probobly end up with both.

I think I'll get the TF first. If I like it, maybe (maybe) I'll stick with just that. I just need $36 more for it :) I may just say that's close enough and irder it this week, lol.

As far as covers.... we can talk those ;) I'm 99% sure I'm getting the Monet TF. I'd like an Aurora too....but that's not a priority.

Covers on the Radian is different. I really like the red XT. But I do like girly seats for Sofi....so maybe the Malibu? Or maybe just the red. :confused:

If it matters.... the seat will be next to a Kasey SS1. Then most likely a black and grey Titan (or I can put the RN and TF next to each other if I get both :whistle:)

April

The Monet is GORGEOUS, and if I used mine primarily for Rayn, that is definitely the cover I'd get.

I like the Rio XT. I think the Malibu is too pepto pink for an everyday cover. I could handle it for a short time, but I think I'd get sick of looking at it after a while. And I LOVE the Princess Radian if that makes any difference. So I'd go for the Rio.

I actually think a Monet TF and a Rio XT would look quite nice next to each other.:whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC