Question Flying on Hawaiian- can I carry on her scenera?

BaRoNgIrLs

I purchased a cosco scenera for a upcoming trip to Hawaii and have my daughter as a lap baby. Can I carry on her car seat? I am worried if it is checked they may damage it and I won't know. Has anyone tried to carry on their car seat with Hawaiian and had success?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It won't fit as a carryon, the best bet would be to ask if there are any seats that are empty that you can use for her, and then install it and use it. If they don't have any seats available, you should gate check it in a carry bag. That way it'll stay clean and be much less likely to be lost than if it were checked with luggage.

BaRoNgIrLs

It won't fit as a carryon, the best bet would be to ask if there are any seats that are empty that you can use for her, and then install it and use it. If they don't have any seats available, you should gate check it in a carry bag. That way it'll stay clean and be much less likely to be lost than if it were checked with luggage.
Thank you very much. Gate check in means that it would be loaded last? Would that mean that when we are unloaded off the plane it would be waiting at the gate? Or would they put it with the baggage claim?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Normally it's waiting at the plane, but for some aircraft and airports it means it goes to baggage claim.

I'd try very hard to get it on board. Besides being safer for your daughter it's safer for the seat.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In my experience, flying to Honolulu, it ends up where you leave it right there at the end of the jetway/airplane's door, and it is right there when you get off. Definitely though I've had them bring it to the luggage area (in Oakland, I think it was)... which was a royal pain when I gate checked a stroller and actually needed it a soon as I got off the plane :rolleyes:

Just bring it with your carryon stuff through security, and ask the gate staff for a 'gate check claim tag' (that is, assuming you can't get them to let you bring it on for your baby to use, which I also recommend strongly you try to do...I've flown with lapbabies and it's way easier on that long of a flight to have a carseat instead :thumbsup:)

LEAW

If you are flying between the islands, the flights are rarely full and you can ask nicely and they will let you take it on and use it for her.

Flying to/from CONUS I have no idea how full the flights are, but again, ask, and worst case is they will have you gate check it.

You can even ask them if it can be buckled (but not used) into an empty seat away from your assigned seat, Southwest let me do that once too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC