Question No top tether anchor in 2003 skoda fabia (UK)

U

Unregistered

Hi,

We've bought the Jane Exo group 1 seat for our little boy, which reuires the use of a top tether when it's installed using the isofix (UK name for LATCH, I think) fittings. My husbands car has anchor points behind the rear seats for the top tether but mine does not - it is a Skoda Fabia 2003 reg. Does anyone know whether I can get an anchor point fitted? I would rather do this and use the isofix fittings than use the 3 point belt as I feel this is the safest option. I can't get hold of anyone from Skoda UK at the moment so I thought I would ask in here :)

Thanks,

Lynne

ADS

lenats31

Hi,

We've bought the Jane Exo group 1 seat for our little boy, which reuires the use of a top tether when it's installed using the isofix (UK name for LATCH, I think) fittings. My husbands car has anchor points behind the rear seats for the top tether but mine does not - it is a Skoda Fabia 2003 reg. Does anyone know whether I can get an anchor point fitted? I would rather do this and use the isofix fittings than use the 3 point belt as I feel this is the safest option. I can't get hold of anyone from Skoda UK at the moment so I thought I would ask in here :)

Thanks,

Lynne

Top tether anchors cannot be retrofitted in EU cars I´m afraid.

Lena

U

Unregistered

Oh dear - do you know why that is?

I guess I will just have to put the seat in with the seatbelt instead of the isofix fittings. Can anyone tell me why this means I don't need to use the top tether?

Can I use the 3 point belt AND attach the seat with the isofix rings that are down the back of the seat?

Thanks,

Lynne

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry that I don't know anything about retrofitting tether anchors in that car, but I do know that installing seats with vehicle belts is every bit as safe as using anchors and tethers.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for that, I will just use the seatbelt and get it checked to make sure we've put it in properly :)

lenats31

You can use the Isofix system without the top tether unless the car seat user guide states otherwise. Car manufactorers are not allowed to alter the cars in this way. This is what Peugeot has told me. I think that top tether anchor points have become manadatory in Eu cars produced from summer 2008 onwards. Not 100% sure tough. By that I mean new models and not just newer versions of older models.

The funny thing is that as far as I know, Isofix points can be retrofitted.

Lena

lenats31

I would not use both the seatbelt and the isofix at the same time. If you are in a crash and your baby needs to be removed from the car ASAP. Paramedics will need to go through one removal procedure. This could be pushing the isofix buttons to release the car seat OR cutting the seatbelt. Not sure if this is the reason, just a guess.

If you really do not like to use an FF seat without some anti forward rotation device such as a top tether. Then swap the seat for an isofix seat with a foot prop. The foot prop does the exact same thing as a top tether. In this way, you can install your seat with a different kind of anti forward rotation feature.

Lena

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC