ISO convertible for a very small 7 mth old.

snack

I currently have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant. We have our older DD FF in a Britax Boulevard in the rear passenger seat. We are looking to replace our 7 mth old's (14.5 lbs, 25 1/4 in) orbit baby infant seat with a convertible. I am torn between the radian XT, true fit, and another blvd. The issue we had with the BLVD was that it took up too much space RF and rendered the passenger seat useless. Also, we have a backless booster in for my step-daughter (Combi Dakota) one day each week. It would be helpful to have a narrower seat (Radian?) so that her booster would fit without the removal of either convertible. How do these seats compare? I'm open to new suggestions as well. Please help!:)

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The Radian takes up more room than the Blvd length-wise since it's a very tall seat, but I beleive the new XTs can be installed more upright which will help.

I love the TF but it is really wide. What about handing the Blvd down to the baby and getting your older kiddo a FF-only seat like the Nautilus or Frontier?

natysr

Just curious...Is there a reason you've ruled out the Orbit Toddler seat? After all, you've already made the financial investment on the base.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've installed seats in that car before. The owner, like you, had Boulevards. She got a TF and sold her Boulevards. There was a lot more room in the TFs. However there wasn't a lot of room between them for a third seat.

The Radian may work, but it's so tall and the backseat so not large that you may have trouble. You might get it to work in the center of your backseat with the Boulevard and booster outboard. The Radian can go between the front seats if necessary. Or use the Radian FFing and the Boulevard RFing.

You might also want to look into the Scenera. It's narrow with a tall shell, but it doesn't sit up high and it's easier to adjust the angle.

I don't know how the Orbit Toddler seat would work size wise, but I'd look into it. I don't thin it's terribly wide.

Wendy

snack

We bought the orbit toddler car seat before the BLVD. It's now in grandma's car. The belts gets twisted very easily (i've spent 20 minutes untwisting before being able to pull off), it's difficult to install (it sits too high when installed on the base and therefore, needs to be installed with seat belts), my DD sweats like mad in it.. and we've recently purchased a double stroller to accommodate both of my DDs and we're looking to sell the orbit (to offset the purchase price of said double stroller), including the infant car seat, toddler car seat, and toddler stroller seat. I'm much happier with the BLVD. If i can find a buyer for the orbit system, I'd pass the BLVD on to grandma, have the baby RF in a true fit and older daughter FF in the radian? I think. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the responses!

amyd

I would really look into a Nautlius for your older DD if it would fit. If you have to buy her a new seat anyway, might as well get one that will last her until she's ready for the seatbelt alone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC