Vent Why I dislike higher limit infant seats

Pixels

My neighbors have two kids. One is 2-3 years old, FFing as long as I've been aware of ERFing. The other is just over a year old (Feb birthday). They kept the baby in the bucket until he met the minimums for the Nautilus, which is what he's riding in now. So I'm guessing those are the only two seats this child will ever ride in.

I believe this family is trying to be as economical as possible. They have two vehicles and one set of carseats. It is very rare for either of the kids to ride in a different vehicle, and when they do, they move the seats. I understand that. And I certainly understand wanting to be economical.

At least with 20 pound weight limits, many parents are forced to buy a convertible to RF their child just to get to 1 year old. And then they probably wouldn't be in quite so much of a hurry to stop RFing (though they probably don't know any different, either).

ADS

fyrfightermomma

From what I've seen if they have a 20 lb convertible and the kiddo outgrows it by weight before a year, they buy a convertible or combo seat and put it forward facing :) I don't see too many who put the convertible rear facing.

Atleast with the higher weight infant seats we have the hope of getting to 12 months more easily

Just seems like regardless, the kid is going forward facing after the bucket, whether they outgrow it at 8 months or 14 months.

Just my :twocents:

skaterbabs

From what I've seen if they have a 20 lb convertible and the kiddo outgrows it by weight before a year, they buy a convertible or combo seat and put it forward facing :) I don't see too many who put the convertible rear facing.

Atleast with the higher weight infant seats we have the hope of getting to 12 months more easily

Just seems like regardless, the kid is going forward facing after the bucket, whether they outgrow it at 8 months or 14 months.

Just my :twocents:

:yeahthat:

The higher-weight infant seats make it LESS likely that a kid will be FF at 6 or 9 mos. While it would be great to then move to a 35 lb RF convertible, the people who have no intention of RF past the infant seat are at least more likely to make it to a year with a 30 lb limit seat vs a 22 lb limit seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yep, and if the kid got a convertible when he outgrew the infant seat, it probably would have been the Comfortsport, and then he'd be in a booster at 3 when he outgrows that. Granted, I would much rather see ERF than EH, but when ERFing isn't going to happen at least he'll be safe in the Nauti for several years.

heyruthie

:yeahthat:

The higher-weight infant seats make it LESS likely that a kid will be FF at 6 or 9 mos. While it would be great to then move to a 35 lb RF convertible, the people who have no intention of RF past the infant seat are at least more likely to make it to a year with a 30 lb limit seat vs a 22 lb limit seat.

I agree with this, especially in the case of parents who are trying to be as economical as possible. Let me explain. We have to remember that most of these people are not like some of us on this board: they don't WANT to spend $$$ on carseats! They don't WAIT for the opportunity to buy the next one! They don't LOOK FORWARD to what the next seat is going to be.

Instead, the budget minded parent is going to wait as LONG as possible before spending $$$ on another seat. So, if they have an infant bucket that can rear face to 32 pounds, they are going to keep the kid in there and avoid spending the $$$ for as long as possible. However, if they have to get a new seat when the kid hits 20#, they're going to buy sooner--and look for a seat that will "last longer...."

Plus, I noticed that you didn't say your neighbor waited until the child reached the "maximum weight limit for his infant seat." Rather, you said they waited until the child reached the "minimum weight for the Nautilus." That's not going to change a darn thing, no matter what seat they have as an infant seat. But what WILL change, is at what point that same family is "on the market" for a Nautiuls. I guarantee they wouldn't have even been looking, if they didn't have to.....

Bottom line: most families don't spend money until they have to. So, if what they already have is a RFing only infant bucket that holds the kid to 32#, they won't move the kid until they have to. Hence, a RFing kid for longer....

Pixels

I don't know the kid's stats, so I don't know for sure if he maxed out the infant seat, or just met the mins for the Naut. I do know they used the infant seat for about a month after he was a year old. And if he hadn't outgrown the infant seat by height, it was at least darn close.

From what I've seen of these particular parents, they wouldn't have FFed before a year unless they truely couldn't avoid it (ie a 35 pound 9 month old). They read the labels on the carseat, and (sort of) used it appropriately. I think they're well-intentioned, and would spend what $ is necessary, but not wasteful either. Anna, you're probably right, they probably would have gotten a ComfortSport if they got a convertible.

Neither boy's seat is top tethered in a 2009 vehicle. Yeah, they're getting a USAA brochure and a business card from me as soon as I'm ready to do a private check.

flutie128

DS outgrew the SR 20 bucket at 4 months and went into a comfort sport because that is what I got at my baby shower. He rode RFing in that until just after one when he weighed 26 ish pounds. I didn't know about ERFing but if I did I would have looked at other convertibles instead plus neither Target, Walmart, or Toys R Us (nearest BRU is in Baltimore) had anything like the Britax seats. I guess the Touriva would have been better but I liked the padding on the CS better. After he outgrew the CS he went into an Eddie Bauer high back booster with the harness because the TRU associate miss informed me about the apex. I liked the apex better but while the sign said it had 4 harness slot the associate told me it only had 3 and I could only see 3. I figured he would outgrow the harness too soon and the harness was higher on the eddie bauer. When he got to heavy for the harness in the eddie bauer I wanted to get him another harness but he didn't like the apex, the nautilus wasn't out yet and my mom convinced me a turbo booster would be cheaper and just as safe. He currently rides in a nautilus in my car and turbos in DH's car, grandma's car, and the babysitters car. I regret putting him the booster now that I look back but there was not a lot of choices back then and I know so much more.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

Yeah, either this, or they don't realize/care that their infant seat has a 20/22 lb limit, they just know that they can turn the kid FF at 1 year, so they keep them in the infant seat until their first birthday, even if they've outgrown the seat.

:twocents:

urchin_grey

Yeah, IME, most people are more likely to go straight to FF'ing when the child outgrows the bucket seat, even if they aren't yet 12mo. Someone I know turned their 8mo FF'ing because "he was so big". :( This was a long time ago but even then, I knew better. That's why DS was still RF'ing at 15mo. I didn't know squat about ERF'ing, but he wasn't yet 20lbs so I kept him RF'ing until circumstances prevented us from using his infant seat anymore. Seems I was the exception to the rule though.

And of course, then I learned even better and turned him back at 2.5. ;)

urchin_grey

Yeah, either this, or they don't realize/care that their infant seat has a 20/22 lb limit, they just know that they can turn the kid FF at 1 year, so they keep them in the infant seat until their first birthday, even if they've outgrown the seat.

Oh yeah, I've seen this too. I work with someone who knows an ex friend of mine and she told me that they are still using their infant seat that they had for their first child. I know the seat isn't expired because DS has the same one, but its a SR22. And, according to my source, the child in question is over 30lbs. :eek: My co-worker won't say anything to them and I know they won't listen to me.... My only hope is that they don't get in a wreck before he turns 1. A FF'ing convertible would be better than what he's in, in this case. :(

Melodiya99

I have a friend whose baby is in a seat like this:( I'd say he's about 28lbs, and just turned 1, but still in that 22lb seat (she didn't realize it had a weight limit until I told her, and then I guess didn't think it was all that important:confused:) I even bought them an Apex for their older daughter so they could pass down the convertible(but they thought it was too hard to install), so I loaned them my FPSVD until they got a seat, but it's still not installed in their van:thumbsdown: A safeseat would be great for these folks!

On the other hand, I see what op is saying. Another friend of mine who is slightly more conscientious bought the safeseat thinking that it replaces the need for a convertible...better, but not so great either, imo.

Heather98012

I wonder if it depends on where you live. Because in my area, I have NEVER known a mother to turn their kid FF before 12 mos. Not saying it doesn't happen...but I don't know anyone who's done it. Everyone I knew who had a child who outgrew their infant seat bought a convertible & RF'd.

I think it might just be a matter of where you live & what is common amongst the parents.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I wonder if it depends on where you live. Because in my area, I have NEVER known a mother to turn their kid FF before 12 mos. Not saying it doesn't happen...but I don't know anyone who's done it. Everyone I knew who had a child who outgrew their infant seat bought a convertible & RF'd.

I think it might just be a matter of where you live & what is common amongst the parents.

Just because it doesn't happen in your circle of friends doesn't mean it doesn't happen in your area.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

This is a VERY common thing to see around here.

And what's even more common to see, is if the kid is "almost" a year and is outgrowing the infant seat, they call it close enough and get a combination seat.

So yeah, I think that higher limit infant seats actually keep kids rf'ing longer because parents do like to buy as few seats as possible. And if nothing else, it's a very high likelihood that at least the kid still fits at 1yr old. My neighbor still has his almost 1.5yr old in a snugride - I think trying to postpone putting the older kid in to a booster. Unfortunately there's only so much I can do. (And no, the toddler isn't petite. I wouldn't be surprised if toddler is 27 or 28lbs.) :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just see too many babies at BRU where the mom is laughing, "Oh, haha, he's 25 pounds at 9 months (SR 22 or Flex Loc or Key Fit 22) and the doctor told me to get him a new seat" and then they don't. I tell them the seat will rip right off the base and they should probably buy something immediately, but they don't. :eek:

This is not to say that I don't see people who don't understand you have to use the crotch buckle on the SR32 (again, :eek:), but there's just the slightest hope in my heart that the seat is harder to misuse due to overweight kids or people without locking seatbelts or people who don't know to put the handle down, KWIM?

I try to give you guys working seat checks the best change of getting these kids RF, though, by refusing to sell them the Nautilus and pushing a good convertible on them...if the parents go to a check, they can possibly be convinced to put the kid RF, at no cost to them by buying another seat.

Too bad the Nautilus isn't a 32"/22 pound minimum, yeah?

sunnymw

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Because that rule is so effective with the Dorel seats, right? ;) (Just teasin'. I'd like to see a higher minimum with the Nautilus, too.)

Oh, yeah, killer effective. Like my neighbors who had their 13 month old 18lb 30" daughter in one. :thumbsdown:

vonfirmath

I lived in Bellevue among friends that were all "Yeah, yeah, of course RFing is best". But I still had friends who turned their kids before a year old! And I couldn't figure out what to say to get them to just FOLLOW THE LAW! Aigh!

And the one friend who bought a convertible when the child outgrew the infant seat, turned the seat FFing ON HER FIRST BIRTHDAY despite the "RFing is safer" agreement AND the fact that they'd bought the convertible and could have STAYED RFing. She was in my small group and unfortunately we'd just moved to Texas and I should have made time to talk to her anyway :(

cpsaddict

Around here, it wouldn't matter if the bucket was a little one or a big one because people just turn it around when they feel like it. The other option is to get the Cosco High Back Booster. Not even joking. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC