Any more feedback on the Cocorro?

daniele_ut

I know a few of us have purchased a Cocorro in the last few weeks. I'm wondering if anyone can comment further on what they think of it after using it for a while. One specific question I have is whether Combi requires you to use the RF seat belt lockoff or not. I saw that alluded to in another thread and I didn't see the manual on Combi's site. I had trouble using the RF lockoff with the belts on my Malibu when I tried it briefly at a local store.

I really don't want to haul one of our Marathons when we travel so I need to buy a new travel seat for dd before we fly cross country to see my family at the end of May and I've been tossing around the Roundabout, which we had and loved, the Cocorro, the Maxi Cosi Priori, or the Avenue. This seat will likely also end up in my dh's Outback Sport, which does not have LATCH. It is one of the Subarus that has a very flat backseat, but ridiculously long belt stalks and the plastic belt storage tray in the bight of the center seat (where there is a lap belt only).

ADS

crunchierthanthou

here's what the manual says-

Note: For installation with vehicle lap and
shoulder belt - if the vehicle lap belt
does not remain tightly adjusted around
the car seat a rear-facing belt lock-off
may be required to lock the vehicle lap
belt. See “Rear-facing Belt Lock-off”
section.
"may be required..." but the section it refers to states the lock-off MUST be used with a lap/shoulder belt with a free sliding latchplate- even those with a locking retractor.

Combination Lap/Shoulder Beltwith Free Sliding Latch Plate

Pull out on latch plate. If belt slides freely through
latch plate (fig. g), a belt lock-off MUST be used.

- For rear-facing, use the blue rear-facing
belt lock-off (fig. h) to secure the lap belt.
See “Rear-facing Belt Lock-off” section.

Some combination lap/shoulder belts with free sliding latch
plates may be converted into an “automatic locking mode”.
Always use a belt lock-off with these belt systems.

FWIW, I did get an acceptable rf install in the center of my Outback. :) I think that's because there is no base to hit against the plastic casing. I did twist the buckle stalk, but that was as much to fit the lock-off as anything. Since yours is lap only, it might be fine- although I think the older the Subaru, the longer the buckle stalks.

Here's how it looked before I routed the shoulder belt around the back.
rfseatbelt2.jpg

daniele_ut

Thank you for posting that picture! I feel like a dork, since I was trying to put the lockoff on the lap AND shoulder portion of the belt, which is why I couldn't get it to work. I had trouble with the belt in my Malibu being to short to route it around, but I wasbeen asleep at the wheel on that one as well since I was installing it with the lap and shoulder portions through the path. In your pics it's just the lap portion in there, no? I must have been seriously distracted that day. I'll have to try it again.

I'm going to have to see if I can take dh's car one day this week and try it out. If I can get it to fit SBS with the Nautilus, I will be sold and order one.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I emailed a Combi rep twice about whether the removable lockoff is required with switchable retractors, but I never heard back.

To complicate matters, this is from carseatblog:

Coccoro: 5-33 lbs. rf.; rf lockoff on back of seat near ff lockoff to grab shoulder belt when seat is installed Euro style with shoulder belt routed behind seat (but it can also be installed rf in traditional way and Combi includes a sturdy lockoff instead of a locking clip)

I take that to mean that the belt guides on the back of the seat work as lockoffs, so you don't need to use the removable one. (That was another question I asked the rep, but didn't hear back about.)

Does anyone else interpret it that way?

I've been anxious to get my newborn in the seat, but without clarification on the RF lockoff issue, I'm hesitant to use it. (My installs without the removable lockoff are more solid than with.)

crunchierthanthou

Thank you for posting that picture! I feel like a dork, since I was trying to put the lockoff on the lap AND shoulder portion of the belt, which is why I couldn't get it to work. I had trouble with the belt in my Malibu being to short to route it around, but I wasbeen asleep at the wheel on that one as well since I was installing it with the lap and shoulder portions through the path. In your pics it's just the lap portion in there, no? I must have been seriously distracted that day. I'll have to try it again.

only the lap portion goes through the rf beltpath and only the shoulder portion goes in the lock-off. It does take all of my seatbelt to route around the back in the center, but it's no problem outboard.

I emailed a Combi rep twice about whether the removable lockoff is required with switchable retractors, but I never heard back.

To complicate matters, this is from carseatblog:

Coccoro: 5-33 lbs. rf.; rf lockoff on back of seat near ff lockoff to grab shoulder belt when seat is installed Euro style with shoulder belt routed behind seat (but it can also be installed rf in traditional way and Combi includes a sturdy lockoff instead of a locking clip)

I take that to mean that the belt guides on the back of the seat work as lockoffs, so you don't need to use the removable one. (That was another question I asked the rep, but didn't hear back about.)

Does anyone else interpret it that way?

I've been anxious to get my newborn in the seat, but without clarification on the RF lockoff issue, I'm hesitant to use it. (My installs without the removable lockoff are more solid than with.)

she's been traveling. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. The manual only calls the ones on the back of the seat belt guides. The upper ones do seem to grip it a bit, but there's nothing to indicate they are lock-offs.

daniele_ut

Well, now I am in love with this seat! I went back with my car yesterday and installed it correctly and got it rock solid really quickly. Now that I understand how to use the belt path and the lockoff I had no trouble at all with it:

img007.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

The best part is that I can install it side by side with the Nautilus (both with belts) and still get a passenger in on the other side. With the KeyFit30 I can only install them side by side with the Malibu's staggered LATCH because it gives a little bit of extra space between the 2 carseats. Using the passenger side and center LATCH in my car means you can't have a passenger on the driver's side, though, so this would be a big improvement.

Crunchy - where did you order yours? The best price I found was $170 for Strawberry Shake through Amazon with free Prime shipping. I'm torn between that and Key Lime.

crunchierthanthou

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Have you seen the Key Lime in person? I had the girl at USA Baby open it up for me. It's very limey (lots of yellow tones). It's cute, just not quite the color I see on my monitor, or is even on the box.

I ordered from Just Kids Store. :thumbsup: They're a new site. I asked about them here because they had the best price but I'd never heard of them. The owner actually registered and PM'd me. That must have been quite the spike in traffic for her to track it back. :eek:

daniele_ut

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Have you seen the Key Lime in person? I had the girl at USA Baby open it up for me. It's very limey (lots of yellow tones). It's cute, just not quite the color I see on my monitor, or is even on the box.

I haven't seen it in person. I'd better take a look at it IRL before I really decide. Thanks for the heads up! The longer I look, the more entranced I get by all the colors. Now I like the Carrot Cake a lot too. We have a thing for orange around here, since dh lived in Holland. I'm torn about getting a pink seat. On one hand I waited a LONG time to bring my girl home with me and I want girly things, but OTOH, what if the next baby is a boy, lol!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
she's been traveling. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. The manual only calls the ones on the back of the seat belt guides. The upper ones do seem to grip it a bit, but there's nothing to indicate they are lock-offs.

I know, I thought they were just guides (based on the manual), but based on the carseatblog info, it sounds like maybe they do count as lockoffs?

I emailed the rep twice, two weeks ago...still haven't heard back. Hopefully we'll get some clarification.

jubgulia

Okay, I know someone wanted to see pics of the green Coccoro. Here they are, although the color seems a little more yellowy in the pics.

3427858108_b3692dae8c.jpg

3427858502_4e66a659fb.jpg

So much more passenger room. The SS1 was just about touching the front seat in this same position:
3427858230_527fe28f5c.jpg

This next pic probably shows the best color:
3427049139_21a08cb4a6.jpg

It puzzles very nicely in the Corolla with the FF Radian. The edge of the Radian where it gets wider fits right in the open belt path of the Coccoro (if that makes sense).

3427049641_4db1c279af.jpg

3427049465_c5b856a089.jpg

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Does anybody find it annoying or bothersome to get a child in and out with the shoulder belt in the way. I really like the seat, and I like the option of the shoulder belt routing, but now that I've seen a picture of it installed I think it would just be in the way. Any opinions?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
LOVE that green just the way it is with the yellowish in it! If it's more geeny in real life, I will like it too. :)

crunchierthanthou

LOVE that green just the way it is with the yellowish in it! If it's more geeny in real life, I will like it too. :)

yeah, key lime is a really accurate name and these pictures are close to the true color- unlike the promotional materials and even the box that show it more of a mint. :rolleyes:

i like it too. it was one of my top three, but I feel like every time someone mentions it I have to let them know that it's very limey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC