Thinking of turning son back RF!

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya Ladies! So I am seriously thinking of turning son back to RF. It is begining to be summer here & he is wearing less clothing, plus I think he might have lost some weight. So I am thinking he is right around 30lbs. I always wanted to keep him RF longer than I did. However I turned him b/c he got SO close to the weight limits & DH was having trouble getting him buckled RF. However I am thinking that DH can figure it out since it is SO much safer. However DH is going to think I am NUTS! LOL!

I also JUST got 2 top anchors installed in my car b/c I turned him. Am I nuts for wanting to RF him again? I am going to weigh him tomorrow fully dressed & see what he weighs. If he is closer to 30 then I will turn him back RF, but if he is closer to the 33-34lb mark then I will leave him FF as he fluctuates SO much! This will be the 2nd time I have turned him back to RF after being FF! We will see what he thinks of it!

Anyone else think I'm crazy! I just miss him being RF!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If he likes RF, you don't mind re-installing, and he's closer to 30 than 35, sure, why not? What, you really think we're going to argue with you? :p

Do you have 2 cars? If you husband was having trouble buckling and has a car he takes him in more often, I'd leave him FF in that car and turn him RF in yours, though, probably. Because safely buckled in both cars is safer than rear facing in both but not buckled quite right in one. Not that he'd do it on purpose, but the harder it is, the more room for error, KWIM?

Mommy2Marcus

If he likes RF, you don't mind re-installing, and he's closer to 30 than 35, sure, why not? What, you really think we're going to argue with you? :p

Do you have 2 cars? If you husband was having trouble buckling and has a car he takes him in more often, I'd leave him FF in that car and turn him RF in yours, though, probably. Because safely buckled in both cars is safer than rear facing in both but not buckled quite right in one. Not that he'd do it on purpose, but the harder it is, the more room for error, KWIM?

LOL! Yes I knew that no one would argue with me her of course!

As for the whole RF in DH's car, yes he has a car of his own & car seat in his car. Both of our cars are 2 doors, so that is why he has SUCH a hard time buckling him in right. He does ride with DH fairly often, but not on long trips without me. If we were going off for the day we could just take my car or I could turn his TF in DH's car to RF. His seats are tethered in both cars!

I also VERY much agree with him being MUCH safer properly buckled FF then improperly buckled RF. That is one of the main reasons I turned him FF in DH's car & my MIL's car when I went back to work. If he had been younger or alot lighter I would have fought them on it & worked harder for him to stay RF, but he was over 2 years old & a little over 30lbs at this point!

As for how he likes it, I am not sure how he will react. I am deffinatly going to give it a shot if he is closer to 30lbs though! Wish me luck. I am hoping he is closer to 30lbs!

pastrygirl

I'm also thinking of doing this. My MA goes to 33 pounds, and my son was hovering around 32.5 for a week, and at one point hit 33 pounds. That was in October. I weighed him yesterday in just jammies and he was 30 pounds! This morning, naked, he was 31.5. I haven't weighed him yet with clothes and socks, but I'm betting it's under 33 pounds. And given how much he's fluctuating, it sounds like I could even wait until he's 33 pounds consistently. Thoughts? He'll be 3 in June, and in Oct still had plenty of room left height-wise.

(I'd leave him FF in my husband's car, though. I really don't want to have THAT fight again...)

ETA: I just weighed him after breakfast: 32 pounds. This is still without shoes or a fleece. He eats a TON for lunch (yesterday: 2 hot dogs plus french fries). I can't believe how much his weight fluctuates!

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm also thinking of doing this. My MA goes to 33 pounds, and my son was hovering around 32.5 for a week, and at one point hit 33 pounds. That was in October. I weighed him yesterday in just jammies and he was 30 pounds! This morning, naked, he was 31.5. I haven't weighed him yet with clothes and socks, but I'm betting it's under 33 pounds. And given how much he's fluctuating, it sounds like I could even wait until he's 33 pounds consistently. Thoughts? He'll be 3 in June, and in Oct still had plenty of room left height-wise.

(I'd leave him FF in my husband's car, though. I really don't want to have THAT fight again...)

ETA: I just weighed him after breakfast: 32 pounds. This is still without shoes or a fleece. He eats a TON for lunch (yesterday: 2 hot dogs plus french fries). I can't believe how much his weight fluctuates!

He's over and under 33lbs pretty consistently from the sounds of it. I'd leave him ff'ing. It sounds like there's a greater than 50% chance he'd be over 33lbs on any given trip. And really, unless a child is really young, I'm not comfortable with routine weighing and waiting to the very last millisecond to turn a child. He's almost 3, he's 33lbs for all intents and purposes, if you want to rf him more I'd get a 35lb seat - though for what is in essence only a lb or so, it may or may not be worth it depending on his weight gain pattern.

pastrygirl

He's over and under 33lbs pretty consistently from the sounds of it. I'd leave him ff'ing. It sounds like there's a greater than 50% chance he'd be over 33lbs on any given trip.
Thanks -- that's a good point. I just keep feeling guilty about having turned him, especially when I see "30" on the scale. Then I remember to dress and feed him, LOL.

zeo2ski

Thanks -- that's a good point. I just keep feeling guilty about having turned him, especially when I see "30" on the scale. Then I remember to dress and feed him, LOL.

No need to feel guilty...unless you don't remember to dress and feed the kid, lol!

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya Ladies! I weighed DS this morning fully dressed. He weighed in at 29.5lbs! He had not eaten yet, but had a little bit of a wet diaper & had drank a full 1 1/2 cups of milk. SO I am thinking with a full tummy he might weigh in around 31 at most!

SOOOO....He will being going RF again for awhile in my car! WOOT! I will have pics to share soon!

NannyMom

Hiya Ladies! I weighed DS this morning fully dressed. He weighed in at 29.5lbs! He had not eaten yet, but had a little bit of a wet diaper & had drank a full 1 1/2 cups of milk. SO I am thinking with a full tummy he might weigh in around 31 at most!

SOOOO....He will being going RF again for awhile in my car! WOOT! I will have pics to share soon!

Wonderful! I can't wait to see pics :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC