Tightening Britax straps

MissAllyLou

I'm having a love/hate relationship with my BLVD. When I get the straps tight on the girl's shoulders, they are soo loose on their chests. I know a little bit of loose-ness is normal, but this seems like too much. What do you think? To get them any tighter, I have to tighten obnoxiously on their thighs. Here's Maggie, she's 20 months, 28 pounds:

ATT00001-1.jpg

ADS

SPJ&E

Only check for tightness right at the shoulder/collarbone. The harness will always feel loose at the tummy and that's okay. I always make sure to pull up on the straps, to pull the slack out of the bottom, before tightening too. You can also take the HUGS off for RF to get a little better fit (but put them in a safe place because they are required for FF).

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
I agree....that looks pretty loose to me. I would definitely try to get it tighter. Since it's a continual loop of webbing it shouldn't have to be too tight on her thighs in order to get a proper fit on her torso...Not sure why that is happening...

MissAllyLou

I agree....that looks pretty loose to me. I would definitely try to get it tighter. Since it's a continual loop of webbing it shouldn't have to be too tight on her thighs in order to get a proper fit on her torso...Not sure why that is happening...

I thought so too, and it's ONLY the BLVD... my MA gets tight and straight pretty easily, both RFing and FFing. And the HUGS are off, and it's tight on the shoulders, under the shoulder pads.

SPJ&E

And the HUGS are off, and it's tight on the shoulders, under the shoulder pads.

:doh:

Is it just RF you have this problem or FF too? In ours, if I don't put Joshua's legs a certain way when I'm tightening the harness, it won't tighten enough.

Mama Jo

Where do you have the chest clip positioned when you're tightening? I move the chest clip down to his tummy when I tighten, then test at the collarbone, then move it up after it's tight enough. If I have the chest clip up higher, it does give a false sense of tightness above it and is way too lose below.

SPJ&E

I agree about moving the chestclip pretty far down when you tighten. Also try putting her legs a different way. If Joshua's legs are straight up the seatback or he's got them like a frog, the harness won't tighten enough. If I cross his legs, I can get the harness perfect. When his legs are any other way, it puts slack in the harness. One I get it tight, he can put them however he likes, which is usually like a frog (see my signature).

BeckC

The Marathon does not have a continuous harness. Each side attaches at the splitter plate and then again at the hips.

jillianrose

Ditto about the chest clip. I have a Wizard and I always have to pull the chest clip way down, pull up on the slack near the hips, and then tighten the harness and raise the clip back up to the armpit level.

Pixels

The Marathon does not have a continuous harness. Each side attaches at the splitter plate and then again at the hips.

I think she meant that the thigh portion and belly/shoulder portion are one piece, on each side, so if it's loose at the belly then it should be equally loose in the thigh.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I usually use my hand to remove any slack in the harness around the thigh area and bring the excess upward toward where the slots are. Then I would tighten by pulling on the adjustor strap. That helps.

MissAllyLou

Okay, so it does get tight at the thigh and shoulder while it's still loose on the chest, but I found out this morning if I straighten her legs out and then pull the slack out before tightening, it works much better. Who knew! Thanks guys :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC