Please, someone help me decide:D !

I need a good non-frame back carrier so I can get something
done arond the house, lol!
Right now I'm leaning toward the Mei Tai but I'm wondering if the
Ergo might be more comfy for longer periods of time and also which one
is easier/has a shorter learning curve?

I have a Moby D but am not coordinated enuf to master the back wrap
alone (they tell you it's best to have assistance but if I had an assistant
then I'd just have them hold the baby:) ).

Any advice?

Thank You:) !
Holly

ADS

Lara

I have and LOVE LOVE LOVE a mei tai! Once you get the hang of it, its really easy to put on (and I do back carries most of the time now that dd is older). Oh and they come in super cute patterns (thats always important lol). Oh and I can carry my 28 lb dd in it comfortably for an hour or more. It is VERY comfy.

I wouldn't be surprised if an ergo is a little easier, because it buckles. I will let someone with one chime in about that though.

Lara

Momma to Kamryn- rf in a scenera, soon to be zebra marathon.

Lea_Ontario

I've not tried an Ergo - but I have used my mei tei for back carries before. Very easy, and quite comfy. I just don't like the instability I feel with a back carry - that's just me though.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I used my ergo more than my kozy. I didn't have a real mei tei. I liked both for different reasons. The ergo was faster and required less adjusting. The weight was spread nicely through the hip belt. The kozy was perfect on my every time though it took a bit longer. The higher body of the kozy meant that Piper's whole back was well supported, but until she was tall enough it was hard for her to poke her head out of the top, so I had to fold it down. The ergo is worn backpack style, which for me is more comfortable than crossed, but it's harder to get the kozy to feel snug on me backpack style, and crossed does nothing nice for my 36Ds.

I had a friend ask if I was using the ergo still, and would I mind maybe selling it to her. I did. I still have my kozy for the occasional back carries.

Wendy

Morganthe

I never had a Mei Tai, so I can't speak for that. I love love love my Ergo and couldn't live without it. I'm a fat woman with a bad back and an unreliable ankle, but I can carry my 35lb daughter for hours in it without too much bother. She's balanced and up against me, so she feels like an extension of me. She just climbs on and I snap everything up.

I wrote and posted a couple of pictures on this thread, if you're interested:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=7672

I think that if you go through the Ergo website or some of the other dealers, there's a guarantee, so you can return if it doesn't work out.
hth
M

gobsmacked

I only have the Ergo, but I love it. I still use it some with my almost 4 year old on. It has a small learning curve, but I found it really quick and easy to use. It's easy to adjust, too.

skaterbabs

heh.
I'm trying to decide between the Ergo and a really good framed backpack. We have a cheap-o backpack and Joyjoy actually loves it - and I like it too. Unfortunately it's a hair too small for DH and a hair too big for me. lol But it only cost me $6, and I think I've easily gotten that much use out of it. ;) We took it to the state fair recently, and to CJ's fotball games, and she prefers to it being strapped into the stroller. Unfortunately, at 36 + lbs, I can't carry her for but so long in the Maya. It's fine for quick trips and the grocery store, but for any longer than that my shoulder can't take it.

Morganthe

heh.
I'm trying to decide between the Ergo and a really good framed backpack. .

We also have the Evenflo Snugli Cross Terrain framed backpack. Bought it in 2004 and used it during the summers. It's a really good backpack for the price.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2642660
(Yeah, I have a lot of gear that we used quite often at our last location for getting out of the car and moving(strollers, carriers, etc) . I miss hiking and walking around in hills & trees. Not possible here. :( )

I have never been able use it though for several reasons.... The buckles for the height adjustment is under the lumbar back pad. I put some more padding, but didn't help. It didn't bug hubby, but for me, the primary weight of the carrier rests right there against the base of my spine. Very uncomfortable. I'm short waisted, so the frame just seemed too long for me. The choice was either being too tall around the shoulders or hitting my butt. I just couldn't get comfortable. The extra 3-5lbs it weighed also added to my annoyance. I'd also have to do contortions if I was alone and wanted her on my back (sitting against a sofa, slipping it on, then standing up)

6'3 hubby used it when we were on the trail or sightseeing and that's about it. Great HUGE pocket under the seat for carrying everything we needed for 2-3 hour hikes. Everywhere else, especially in stores, he ran the risk of smacking something or someone with it, including our daughter's head if he bent over since it would raise her up higher.

She still fits it, so we haven't gotten rid of it, but it's his carrier for her, not mine. He can also wear the Ergo without any problem, but I prefer carrying her and he carries the stuff :D

Lara

Skaterbabs- My friend has that backpack, and it is really comfy! She is about average height, and her dh is tall, and it fits both of them comfortably. I wore it for a little while while we were hiking a few weeks ago (she wanted to try my babyhawk, so we switched kids lol), and it fit me fine too, and I am shorter than either of them, and have a short torso. I was also amazed how much stuff she could fit in that pocket thing at the bottom. We had changes of clothes for her dd and mine, and sippy cups and snacks with room to spare. It is a really nice backpack!

Lara

Momma to Kamryn- rf in a scenera, soon to be zebra marathon (hopefully tomorrow!)

gobsmacked

heh.
I'm trying to decide between the Ergo and a really good framed backpack. We have a cheap-o backpack and Joyjoy actually loves it -

I have a really nice Kelty framed backpack carrier and the Ergo and I MUCH prefer the Ergo. It is so much lighter and so much more portable. I use it so much more than I've used the Kelty.

LEAW

Ergo. I'd take my ergo over a frame pack or a mei tai any day. Ok most any day. I've used a mei tai with tiny babies, and I don't have the infant insert for the ergo...

Otherwise, once you practice a few times, it's like 30 sec. tops to get it on and off. I'm about a size 12, dh is 6' tall, and we both use it with no issues.

They sell a belt extender for people who are larger, and the sleeping hood is handy for more than sleeping.

The mom who runs myfavoritebabycarrier.com has a 90 day $ back guarantee... and if you watch her site you can sometimes pick up one of those "previously tried" ones for a good discount.

Morganthe

"They sell a belt extender for people who are larger"

I bought one of those, just in case, and even with a heavy coat on, I never needed it. And a relaxed measuring tape over clothes puts me around 49" just above my hips where I like having it. So one has to be more than just "larger" :p Currently, the extender is lost around my house somewhere :D

Then again, I liked the waist belt as tight as possible -- helped the ole back out :) After lots of walking, I'd usually pull the straps out over my shoulder so that the center chest strap just kept them on and Rowen's total weight would be on my hips. (My inner shoulders would get tired from the constant weight of the nursing 'girls' upon my bra straps. )

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I have a Mei Tai and I love mine. If you want to use it mainly for the back carry though, I'd be sure to get one w/ padded straps. That's the only thing I wish mine had. The back carry takes some work if you're doing it by yourself, but not if it's for an older child.

super_grape

WOW!!! Thanks everyone and thanks for the pictures Morganthe!!!

I think I'm gonna go with the Ergo....seems like it'll fit my needs better.
Now to figure out which color I want:D .......

Holly

skaterbabs

I don't think DH would use the Ergo, and unfortunately there's no where locally to try one that I know of. He's willing to use a backpack though.

I'd love to try an Ergo - they look great!

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I LOVE my Ergo! I was debating getting one and a friend showed me a video of her daughter getting in it and how easy it was so I got it. (thanks Wendy!)

I pretty much stopped using it when Liam was 3.5, I sprained my ankle badly and couldn't carry him for months so I got out of the habbit. I still have it though, he is 4 years old and 38lbs. I could still use it if I needed too. If we ever went for a hike I would take it for sure, or somewhere strollers were not going to work and involves too much walking. I am also planning on using it with my friends baby that I watch for a weekend once in awhile.

I picked the Ergo over the frame back pack because its easier to use indoors, like at walmart or grocery shopping. For a while Liam freaked out in shopping carts, he didn't like going backwards. (motion sickness) So I used the Ergo for that, if he got down to walk the Ergo just hung from my waist. Or at a buffet resturant.

I only tried a Mei Tie type one twice, it took longer to put on and get right but if I had a baby under a year I would totally get one. The Ergo is much more daddy friendly than one that ties on. My DH liked the Ergo, and Liam even at age 2 could fall asleep in it. DH shocked me once, he was alone with the kids and a stroller or two or three and he chose the Ergo to go for a walk! A nice normal sidewalk walk, very stroller friendly.

I can also carry my DD when she was 5 and 45lbs, weight wise though, her legs got caught up in my legs though, long thing girl she is.

I vote for both!

LEAW

Morganthe, yah, my friend who is an 18-20 says it's "snug" (I have an old style) w/o the belt extender, though she was able to use it for 45 min. w/no issues... I actually get annoyed that the padded part the waist belt threads through is longer than my waist... so it bunches up when I tighten the belt.

Rebekah, a lot of the resellers (almost all are wahm) offer a trial period, I know the myfavoritebabycarrier.com site does, 90 days and you can send it back if you guys don't like it.

The ONLY time that a frame pack is actually a bit more useful than an ergo is when you are on a LONG hike and it's HOT out... then you get backpack sweaty, while the frame pack will keep baby physically off of you and you get a bit more air...

Morganthe again, yah, that's how you should wear it... ALL baby weight should be put to your hips, the shoulder straps are there just to keep baby/toddler near to you, but not to carry any weight. So if you feel any baby weight on the shoulders you've got them a bit too tight...

I have an old shoulder injury so I can't use one shoulder slings after about 15 lbs... LOVE my pouch and maya, but not useful with big babies and the pain.. so I switch to a mei tai and ergo with young babies. Much more comfy for me.

skaterbabs

That's true, but the other benefit to a frame carrier is that it doesn't put pressure on my surgury scars. (I had my gallbladder out last spring and my ABC hurts:( )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC