what would happen if i latched a booster that's not supposed to

heyruthie

this is TOTALLY hypothetical. i have not, and am not planning to do it.

i understand the idea that "the manufacturers didn't test it that way, so they don't have any data on it..."

but, IRL, what would happen if i, let's say, used the LATCH on our Apex, while it was being used as a belt positioning booster. what are the potential dangers of this? i'm just wondering what could possibly happen. my DH has suggested it.....and although i said no, i wondered what the risks are.

TIA!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
we don't really know.
Possibly? The seat performs better due to being tethered in.
Possibly? Nothing, no difference.
Possibly? The seat shatters due to unexpected forces and shards of plastic puncture your child through the heart.

*shrugs*

Pixels

Some boosters have been tested both ways. Some performed better while LATCHed, some the same, and some worse.

LuvMyGirls

BEFORE I KNEW BETTER, I did exactly what you mentioned. My daughter had a combo seat and had outgrown the harness. I was excited that my then-new vehicle had latch and latched the seat in. She used the seat in booster mode with the vehicle seatbelt. I have never liked the idea of the seatbelt holding my child and her booster seat in the vehicle. AT THE TIME, it made sense to me because her booster seat seemed like a more adapted to her vehicle seat with a belt positioner. Now she rides in a Monterey that is latched in and secures herself with the vehicle belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC