Tummy shield pregnancy seatbelt

Splash

What do you think of this? Looks... interesting. The concept isn't that bad, and it seems like it would restrain as well as, or better than, a 3 point belt. Heck, it's almost a booster seat! Similar to submarine clips on a booster really, and makes a seatbelt a 4 point harness versus three.
http://tummyshieldusa.com/index.html

ADS

christineka

I thought the belt was supposed to go below the belly anyway and then it wouldn't be a problem? I smoosh it down and my gigantic belly keeps it there.

Maedze

Tummy Shield has been in the making for the past few years. The inventor is an Australian engineer and a father of four young children who during the pregnancy of their first child, while driving with his wife who was about 7 months pregnant, encountered a traffic situation in which he had to swerve to avoid an accident. That action resulted in the car hitting the curb and coming to a stop. Nobody was injured at this incident, but his wife had some minor laceration to her tummy, and she commented when asked if she is OK, “I am fine, but I am worried about the baby." The pregnancy progressed to full term and a beautiful little girl was born. At birth everything seemed normal, but the parents noticed that the child did not progress mentally and physically. They sought medical advice. They were advised that their child has some form of a brain injury, and the doctor commented that “it could have happened anytime during the pregnancy”, but the parents immediately knew exactly when it happened. When the parents mentioned this incident to the neurologist, he commented that “this could be the likely cause of your daughter’s brain injury."

I have serious concerns about this product but I don't want to comment and risk offending a fellow member.

lenats31

I thought the belt was supposed to go below the belly anyway and then it wouldn't be a problem? I smoosh it down and my gigantic belly keeps it there.

The problem is that the belt most likely wont stay there if you crash. It will most likely ride up on your belly.

A system similar to this has been on the market in Europe for several years. We loved our HTS BeSafe Pregnant.

http://www.hts.no/english/

Lena

menfusse

There was a product in the US that had a similar purpose, though it did it similar to what the pp shows in that website. It was a thing pad that had small strap that snapped around the lap portion and just kept it lower. No hook or anything. The seat belt stayed the same three point, but just stayed lower. All that being said, my belly was an insurmountable force when it came to the lap belt. I but it under and it stayed. No way it was slipping up on my hugeness.

Niea

I have serious concerns about this product but I don't want to comment and risk offending a fellow member.

I thought about the part you quoted and to be honest, how do we know that the belt caused the problem? The accident, sure, but the belt itself, especially when it just caused a minor laceration? See, I could see the baby slamming into the uterus and her brain being shaken and that could cause an injury, but I'm not so sure the seatbelt was the cause. And in that case, this product doesn't really do anything for that.

Yoshi

My seatbelt never stayed put under my belly- it always was in a weird position and I kept pushing it down- but it didn't stay- it would ride up. And I had a HUUUUUUGE belly with G. She was a transverse baby, though , so a weird round wide belly.

SafeRide4Kids

Safe Ride 4 Kids, llc. is the new distributor / source for the Tummy Shield in the USA. Please visit TummyShield.com for information. Thanks!

"Tummy Shield USA" is no longer In business.

Greg Durocher
President
Safe Ride 4 Kids, llc
SafeRide4Kids.com

rachelandtyke

Completely off topic, but I got all excited when I saw the OP of this thread, but was disappointed when I saw the date. Then I read through and saw a lot of names that are missed around here. :(

firemomof3

Completely off topic, but I got all excited when I saw the OP of this thread, but was disappointed when I saw the date. Then I read through and saw a lot of names that are missed around here. :(

Me too, I miss her great advice and the pictures of the beautiful boys :crying:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC