Question RFg MA -- harness strap ? spin off

bubbaray

Spin off from from this thread.

DD#2 is RFg in MAs in both my Ody and DH's SUV. She is 28lbs. She has been on the 2nd harness slot for at least a year, if not longer. The harness is well below her and it looks weird IMO. BUT, the next (3rd) harness slot looks like it would be 1/2" above her shoulders.

Do I just leave the harness where it is?? In one of the MAs, she'll need to go FFg at 30lbs (per Canadian label), so I have to move the harness on one of them soon anyway. She'll stay RFg on the other MA in DH's vehicle until 33lbs (different DOM, label goes to 33lbs RFg).

TIA

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd take some extra time before a trip, move them up, buckle her in, and see just exactly where they are and how she fits. If they're "technically" above, but not by much; and the harness fits her better with the straps being up, then I'd leave them up. If they're definitely above by quite a bit and the harness doesn't fit any better, then just lower the straps again. :thumbsup:

eta: I went through the up and down process with ds and the TF a few times. In my siggy pic he's in #2, but I settled on #3. He may be slightly below them, but the fit is better in position 3 and if he is below it's not by much. I'm perfectly comfortable with him using #3 and have made the same decision with him in the past with both SS1 and the Snugride. So give it a try, see what the fit is like, then decide. You can just slide the front seat forward and then it'll give you room to change the strap height without having to uninstall and reinstall the seat. :thumbsup:

bubbaray

Thanks Trudy! Yeah, I should do that. Her seat is out of DH's vehicle right now (he's off skiing today, bum).

Sooooo, hypothetically, of course, how bad would it be to go a teensy bit over 30lbs for the one MA for RFg????? :whistle:

snowbird25ca

Thanks Trudy! Yeah, I should do that. Her seat is out of DH's vehicle right now (he's off skiing today, bum).

Sooooo, hypothetically, of course, how bad would it be to go a teensy bit over 30lbs for the one MA for RFg????? :whistle:

Hypothetically speaking, I wouldn't do it. I'm going to send you a PM.

bubbaray

Sorry for the confusion -- I guess I knew the "right" answer about the weight limit anyway.... I was mainly asking about the harness slot height.

Thanks Julie!

bubbaray

Bumping this up for today.

I moved her harness up to the third slot. It looks high, but the cover is at least 1/4" higher than where the actual slot is on the shell. DH is convinced that that is what counts -- where the harness is re the shell, not the cover.

Is that right??

With the harness on the 2nd slot, it is more at her armpit level, really low. Plus, she's been on that second slot for at least a year, I'm pretty sure almost 1.5 years.

mamoomorgan

I've had those strap height dilemmas and it's always a hard choice IMHO. I really don't like when they get too far above the strap slot and it seems to pull down on their shoulder when you get it nice and snug.
As for the 30# limit, of course it depends on your kid, but with my third, she was about 28#'s at 2.5yo or so and I thought we'd have to turn her. Well we turned her at 3yo's and she was only 29#'s. So 2#'s can still buy a lot of time in some kids.

Good luck,
morgan.

hipmaman

Yes, it is the shell and not the fabric slots.

When in the 3rd slot, how far above the shoulder (related to the actual slot on the shell)? And when in the 2nd slot, how far below?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC