Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Canadian Paediatric Society & FF Minimums

With the latest AAP recommedations (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=78758, I wonder if the Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) will follow suit.

Last November I e-mailed the principal author of this CPS position paper - http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/IP/IP08-01.htm. Given that is was written in 2008 (after the late 2007 studies came out stating the RF until age 2 is 5x safer), I wanted to know why there was little emphasis placed on the importance of "extended" rear facing.

Her response was:
    "You are absolutely correct in that rear facing should be the preferred seating position until the infant/toddler has outgrown the Ht and wt limits as outlined by the manufacturer of the restraint system. We will certainly make this point more strongly in future revisions and hopefully manufacturing will adapt to facilitating seats for this purpose in North America. The AAP statement on this issue also does not address this particular point and recommends 1 yr and 20 lbs for changing to forward facing. In our partnership with them, I will also be sure to pass your comments along."

So now that the AAP has changed their recommendations, I'm hoping the CPS will too. In fact, maybe I will e-mail her back and ask her!
    Canadian CRST & Mommy to:
    DD - 19 Months & 22 lb RF - Radian Premier & True Fit
    DS - 4.5 Years & ~48lb FF - Frontier XT x 2

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Canadian Paediatric Society & FF Minimums

Let us know when/what you hear back.

It would be SOOOOO nice to have a "credible" source to give parents to support the argument for ERF. And what I mean is that so many parents think "we" are nuts and that their pediatricians know everything. So at least we could say, "Here, read what the pedis say."

We were just talking about this in the CDN chat last night. I'm not holding my breath, but it sure would be nice if CPS would jump on the bandwagon.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

Carseat Crazy

This was published a year ago, right around the same time I became aware of ERF: http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/keep...SeatSafety.htm

I have a friend that works at CPS and I asked her why they wouldn't put more emphasis on RF past a year and she said it is because so many people turn their kids FF before they even reach the minimums. They felt the need to empahsize the minimum so that people will at least get that far.

I still find that to be a very unsatisfying answer, but she is a good friend (and one that turned her son FF as soon as he met the minimum because he screamed all the time RF ... I wish I had known more then so I could have suggested some things to try before resorting to FF), so I never argued with her about it beyond my initial questions. Now that I'm certified and not merely a kooky car seat zealot (), I'm hoping she might turn to me to ask questions with #2 that was just born in February. I'd already like to take the harness covers off his Peg seat and tighten it more... but I know enough to keep my mouth shut and wait until my opinion is requested in this case.
    Last edited by sparkyd; 04-04-2009 at 12:17 PM.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyd View Post
    Now that I'm certified and not merely a kooky car seat zealot ()
    Hmm, some people take that I'm certified as evidence that I'm a kooky carseat zealot...
    American mom in canada with 2 dds in MAs, one RF, one FF

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by tcottawa View Post
    Hmm, some people take that I'm certified as evidence that I'm a kooky carseat zealot...
    Yeah, good point. I guess I should have said "...not merely an unqualified kooky car seat zealot..."

Yes, now we can be considered as Certified Kooky Carseat Zealots. I do hope we get some updated recommendations.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Quote Originally Posted by shauburg View Post
    So now that the AAP has changed their recommendations, I'm hoping the CPS will too. In fact, maybe I will e-mail her back and ask her!
    So I did just that and this is what she said:
    "Yes we are aware of the revised (AAP) recommendations and would be planning for our (CPS) statement to be tabled at our winter 2010 mtg, I believe that is when it is next up for review. However, we do have a mtg in June of this year, and thereby our earliest opportunity to discuss with the committee if we wish to proceed differently"

They will keep me posted, so there is hope yet, but it may take a while!
    Canadian CRST & Mommy to:
    DD - 19 Months & 22 lb RF - Radian Premier & True Fit
    DS - 4.5 Years & ~48lb FF - Frontier XT x 2