TF infant insert and head pillow question

Mommy0608

My TF just arrived, DOM 1-2-08. I thought I had read on here that the infant insert can't be used after 22lbs? The manual does not say anything about a maximum weight. It just says that it was tested with the padding and is safe, and that it MUST be used until the child reaches the 1st slots. However, if it was not intended to be used with higher slots, why would it have notches to fit around the straps in the higher positions?

Jessica probably won't use it anyway, but Tyler will be moving into this seat after he outgrows the SS1, so I thought maybe he'd be more comfortable with it. He is 21lbs right now so I know he'll be over 22lbs by the time he gets this seat.

Anyone know the official word about this? Also, what about the separate head piece, it's like a little flat pillow with two raised sides... it fits around the straps. Jessica might like that part for sleeping. Can that be used for any weight? Manual doesn't say anything about this piece, just that it was tested and is safe. I combed through it twice and found nothing about limits.

ADS

featherhead

The head pillow does not have a weight limit. I know with my SIL's TF it has a warning label on the infant insert, and it says do not use after 22 lbs (It's Canadian, not sure if that makes a difference).

Mommy0608

The only label on the infant insert is a warning about not placing the rear-facing seat in front of an airbag... nothing about a limit on using the insert. :scratcheshead:

AlmostFive

Section 7.14 of my manual on P 40 says "DO NOT use this height insert for infants/children above 22lbs (10kg) or in a forward facing position."

There is no warning label about when to stop using it on my insert though.

I have a 3/08 Monet if that matters. I have often wondered why it has all those slots on it. That would be a really tall skinny 22lber that could use the third slots!

Mommy0608

Section 7.14 of my manual on P 40 says "DO NOT use this height insert for infants/children above 22lbs (10kg) or in a forward facing position."

There is no warning label about when to stop using it on my insert though.

I have a 3/08 Monet if that matters. I have often wondered why it has all those slots on it. That would be a really tall skinny 22lber that could use the third slots!

Huh, weird! Here is what mine says, same page, same section:

"The True Fit has been safety tested with the height insert and head pillows that are included with this restraint. The height insert is needed until the child's shoulder is at or above position 1."

Thanks for quoting yours. I wonder why it changed, and if it is retroactive. If you don't mind, what is the date on the back of your manual? Mine says 11 07 on the lower right corner, I'm assuming that is the date.

AlmostFive

Interesting!.... The date on my manual is 3/08.

I almost wish I had an older version of the manual then I could be blissfully unaware that I wasn't supposed to use the insert:whistle: It just looks soooooo comfy that I regret not getting the TF a little earlier so that I could have gotten a little bit of use from it! I suggested a fourth kid to dh just so that I could use the TF with the insert and without the headrest. He didn't quite go for that idea:cool:

Last edited:

Mommy0608

Well, since the later version says not after 22lbs, I think I'll abide by that. I don't actually need it, just thought that the fabric on one side would be cooler for Tyler (sweaty kid) and also more comfy. However, I sat him in it just now without, and I think he'd be fine without it, as far as the interior width.

I'll post pics later when I have pics of DD in the seat too. Thanks again for checking that out for me! I'm still curious about the official rule for mine, whether the change is retroactive or not. Anyone know?

ETA: That's funny that you want another child just to use it.. hehe! Not gonna happen for us though. ;)

urchin_grey

Very skinny indeed. o_O DS is 22.5lbs with clothes on and just even with the 3rd slots from the top. Any kid taller than that under 22lbs would be skin and bones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC