TF just arrived from albeebaby - OLD DOM!!

Mommy0608

01-02-2008! It's 15 months old! WTH?! Tyler will be 6.5 years old when it expires, but I was hoping to have him use it til he outgrows it. He's a big boy, but he *could* still fit at age 6.

Should I call albeebaby? Is this normal? I haven't taken it out of the package yet, just opened it far enough to check the date (it was on the box too but wanted to confirm with the sticker).

ETA: On the plus side, it has 3 crotch buckle positions. Does the 3rd position on this seat come out farther than the 2nd position on other seats? Or is the 3rd the same as the 2nd on those with only two positions? Anyone know? If the 3rd position DOES come out farther I will keep it because Tyler's so chunky.

ADS

ginny4

how much "on sale" was it? i'd call albee baby & ask for some sort of reimbursement for such an old seat at least. 15months is too old in my book. i don't know that the true fit would fit a kid tylers size much past 6yo anyway.

solmama

Yes, the third position goes out farther than the second on the other seats-one more click (and inchish, maybe?). We have a 3 position buckle too-they're actually quite rare and only on a handful of seats manufactured in 01/08. Personally, I'd keep the seat just because it has a 3 position buckle. It's worth it, IMO. But, if you don't like the old(er) DOM, send it back.

Mommy0608

I paid $179.99 for the seat with free shipping and no tax. Not a huge sale, IMO. Maybe I'll call and ask if they'll discount it a little. However, if the 3rd position is in fact farther out than the 2nd on newer seats, then it might be worth it to keep it so that Tyler won't outgrow the crotch buckle too early. Jessica is going to use it for now, but when Tyler outgrows the SS1 he's moving into the TF.

On the other hand, this seat has a 7 year lifespan as opposed to 6 on most others, so I guess with that in mind it's not TOO bad, though I wish it was newer.

I think I'll keep it. Now for the fun of playing with it. The kiddos are both sleeping so I'll get pics later. ;)

MoreLatte

With a 7 yr lifespan and the 3rd crotch buckle position, I'd keep it, too. I had a 2 and 3 position TF and yes, the 3rd position is further out (and needed once they start growing)

Maybe you should call and see if they'll refund a portion of the total.

MOM25BOYS

Personally I would keep it with the 3 position.:twocents: And honestly I am not sure how "new" the recent DOM's are. I know for a while there the newest DOM's were like 5/08 or 6/08. I believe that they have pretty much stop making them since the announcement of the New ARB version last fall.:eek: What color did you get? :whistle:

BW1426

Ours is from Albee as well. I'll check when we get home and post the DOM. I know ours was older as well.

Lucky that you got 3 crotch strap positions though :thumbsup:

Mommy0608

We got Misty Morning. I'm definitely keeping it, now that I know the 3rd buckle is farther out. It won't be an issue with Jessica, but Tyler will likely need it. He's already bigger around than Jessica. :rolleyes:

I'm having fun playing with it in the living room! I was going to install it but I want to get one last pic of Jessica in the EFTA for comparison, and then I'll put in the TF and take another picture. I'll put Tyler in them too.

I thought I read here that the top slots were about 17". I measured today, minus the infant padding, and got 18". I was pushing down to compress the seat pad (just as a child sitting in it would), and definitely got 18". :thumbsup:

We got Misty Morning. I'm definitely keeping it, now that I know the 3rd buckle is farther out. It won't be an issue with Jessica, but Tyler will likely need it. He's already bigger around than Jessica. :rolleyes:

I'm having fun playing with it in the living room! I was going to install it but I want to get one last pic of Jessica in the EFTA for comparison, and then I'll put in the TF and take another picture. I'll put Tyler in them too.

I thought I read here that the top slots were about 17". I measured today, minus the infant padding, and got 18". I was pushing down to compress the seat pad (just as a child sitting in it would), and definitely got 18". :thumbsup:

That is awseome!!!!

I am trying to figure out which seat for my friend to get(she is letting me pick :whistle: )-The truefit, ETA, and Marathon :thumbsup: So, your pics will help out big time. Thanks.

Ooooh if their 18 inches I may just have to see how Logan fits in one :whistle::whistle:

Splash

If you didn't specifically request a recent DOM, it's not their fault that you got an old one. If you have specific demands and expectations, you need to let them be known at the time of ordering and make it a condition of sale.

That said, you're WAY better off with the seat you have. I LOVE that seat, and would not have taken them back had the crotch buckles fit my kids. Charlie at 3.5 was so far over, and it's so short, that buckling him was not only very difficult but bruised his thighs. Same with Sam if I used the infant insert. If I took the insert out, he still fit okay, but barely. Attribute some of that to the cloth diaper, but still ridiculous. And without the infant padding, I did not like the fit of it at all with Sam.

So you absolutely came out on top here. They really need to either make the crotch position deeper, or make the strap longer. Longer would be better than deeper, I think. It's why the GN doesn't bother him... he's over the slot, but the strap is so long that it doesn't cause discomfort.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If you didn't specifically request a recent DOM, it's not their fault that you got an old one. If you have specific demands and expectations, you need to let them be known at the time of ordering and make it a condition of sale.

Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to purchase a car seat online (a seat that wasn't on clearance, or an old fabric style, etc.) and expect it to be newer than 15 months old without having to contact the seller to confirm DOM. In fact, I can't even imagine how cumbersome it would be for AlbeeBaby to have to confirm the DOM for everyone who didn't want an old seat. :twocents:

OP, normally I'd complain about the DOM, but in this case - since the seat will likely last as long as your kids fit in it, and the 3-position crotch strap seems to be a bonus - I'd either let it go, or call Albee and ask them to refund a portion.

Mommy0608

Splash, I can see your point... to an extent. Complaining about 6 months or so? I don't think that's reasonable... but 15 months? That's a long time.

I have decided to keep the seat, but I'm not sure about calling albeebaby. I did luck out and get the 3 buckle positions, and I don't want them to ask me to return the seat for a newer one if it means I lose that 3rd position. Maybe I'll ask for a partial refund. I lost over 1/7th of it's useful life, so I would think a 10% refund wouldn't be an unreasonable request. We'll see. I'm not one to call and complain about much (it took me a while get up the guts to call Evenflo about the EFTA ruining my vehicle seat and bruising DD).

Mama Jo

FWIW, I bought an SS1 from Albeebaby in January of this year and it had a DOM of 07-09-07. It was quite discounted, though, at about $95, taxes and shipping included, so I didn't expect it to be brand new. I only needed it for a few months.

Mommy0608

I did too, but in December. I ordered the SS1 in Meteor from them for $95 fully expecting an old DOM, but I was okay with that because the price was good.

emandbri

I agree it should have been discounted more since it was so old. Cool about the crotch strap though!

BW1426

We got ours last fall in October (I believe) from Albee Baby and it has a do not use after January 4, 2015 on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC