For those planning to purchase an Oobr....

kristenbelle

How old/big are the kids who will be sitting in them?

Is the Oobr Clek's first foray into a BPB (I think I have the term right...)? I know that the company is highly regarded here on this site, which makes the Oobr very appealing, as does its functionality over the long-term.

I tend towards over-safety (according to DH) especially when it comes to carseats, and I'm on the fence about DD1 (5 1/2) who is outgrowing her Wizard. I'd rather keep her harnessed longer, but in 3 months time when the Oobr is available, perhaps she will have grown even more and eventually she'll be moving into a booster. She's 38lbs (not sure of current height) with a long torso. I think she's probably mature enough to ride correctly in a booster, but I still feel that harnessing is safer. We have a GN but I'd rather not get another, and I've been rather unimpressed with the Frontier, although I'll be interested in the redesign - whenever that will be. I go back and forth about purchasing a Regent (which could be passed down to DD2 when we need to). Waiting to see how the new Parkway is, as well as the Oobr. That's my short-list.

ADS
For you-I would get the regent since you can pass it down maybe? Then, you will have time to figure out if you like the oobor or the new parkway(whenever it may come out). That is what I would do if I had that option.

Personally, I do not need another booster, but I really really want one with latch so bad. :) I am going to have patience and wait till I hear reviews and not jump on it right away like I did with the frontier and be terribly disapointed. ;)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I had been planning to get one for my son if it adjusts *as* tall as the Monterey/Parkway etc. - he is 4 and should be 40 pounds by the time July rolls around. However, I think I changed my mind. He has 3 harnessed seats and I can't imagine a situation where he would need a booster. I was going to booster train him, but my mom will have a permanently installed seat, and my brother can install carseats really well, so...

I think I'll wait a while, and get him one when he is getting close to outgrowing one of the three harnessed seats he currently has.

scatterbunny

For a 5.5yo who's next growth spurt will put her over 40#, I'd be fine with a highback booster (especially as only a secondary seat, which it sounds like it will be, at first, since you've got one Nautilus), provided there aren't maturity issues going on.

The Regent is a great seat, it really is (we couldn't have done without it for my big kiddo), but I think it's overkill for most kids who aren't hitting 40# until age 5-6, unless there are special needs involved. The Nautilus and Frontier (not to mention all the 40-65# harnessed seats with tall top slots) serve most kids (even big ones like my dd) very well. In almost all cases, the Nautilus and Frontier will fit even big kids to age 5-6, average/small kids to age 7-10. I don't want to see the Regent totally disappear, because it does have its place, I just don't think it's necessary for a 38# 5.5yo. :twocents:

kristenbelle

For a 5.5yo who's next growth spurt will put her over 40#, I'd be fine with a highback booster (especially as only a secondary seat, which it sounds like it will be, at first, since you've got one Nautilus), provided there aren't maturity issues going on.

The Regent is a great seat, it really is (we couldn't have done without it for my big kiddo), but I think it's overkill for most kids who aren't hitting 40# until age 5-6, unless there are special needs involved. The Nautilus and Frontier (not to mention all the 40-65# harnessed seats with tall top slots) serve most kids (even big ones like my dd) very well. In almost all cases, the Nautilus and Frontier will fit even big kids to age 5-6, average/small kids to age 7-10. I don't want to see the Regent totally disappear, because it does have its place, I just don't think it's necessary for a 38# 5.5yo. :twocents:

I hear what you're saying about the Frontier and Nautilus. I'm not convinced that the Nautilus will be a good booster for us (it may be, but certainly not now), and I won't buy the mesh cover for a Frontier and DD1 is very resistant to the Sahara cover. I have no idea when the Frontier redesign will be out - earlier conjecture in another thread makes me think sometime in 2010. DD1 is not liking the head wings of her old Wizard, as they come very close to her head (moreso than DD2's Boulevard) and she says that they push her ears. She likes the Nautilus, but I worry about having another Nautilus if she grows enough that the fit is off (DD2 will inherit the Nauti). At the moment I'm thinking Regent and Nauti for DD1 and when she grows out of the Nauti, THEN get a BPB if the Nauti doesn't work as a Booster for her, with the Regent still as her main seat and the BPB as the seat in our less used car. She's really been fussing about the Wizard lately and I don't know if we'll make it to July when the Oobr comes out plus I don't know when the new Parkway will be released (no-one seems to know, plus it used to have pretty close headwings on the seat). I can always sell the Regent if we don't need it long-term. It just seems the easiest/safest choice at the moment.

Girly_Qs

Well, I can't say I'm "planning" on purchasing an Oobr, but it is on our short list (along with the rumoured Britax Parkway 120 and the Monterey).

My dd#1 is currently in a Regent, which we love, but is beginning to get a bit 'antsy' about getting a booster like most of her friends have been in for a couple years now, LOL. She is 6yo, around 45lbs, and about 49" now.

SGTex

It's on my research list for a BPB for my 7 yr old, but we'll not need a seat until next year. He's currently in a Regent and will be until it expires in February of 2010. He will turn 8 in January and move into a BPB full time then. Unless he grows out of the Regent by height before then, but he's still got lots of room.

Personally, I know I'm overkill on the safety front, none of my friends have their 7 yr old harnessed. Heck most of my friends have their 4/5 yr olds in booster seats, but i'm most comfortable if he's in the safest possible seat right now, so that's what I do!

emandbri

I was thinking of getting one for Daniel but I didn't realize how tall he was and I don't think he would fit. I don't know how long I want Benjamin in a harness, I'll have to see.

loufrando

I'm 'considering' buying it for Ava when she turns 6 this August (to be her part time seat in her dad's car and friends' cars- she'll stay in her Husky in my car for another year+ until her little sister needs it).

For me it's between the Monterey and the Oobr. I know for sure the Monterey will work for us, but I kinda want a booster that is narrower so it will work in friends' cars and stuff more easily, so I'm still considering the Oobr.

I'll need to see how tall it really adjusts and how the leg support and shoulder width is in real life when it is released though. The Parkway has been a nightmare for us because of the (non)leg support and narrow shoulder width. She slumps down horribly and her shoulders are shoe-horned in. NOT a good fit.

I can't wait to see how the bigger, super long-legged kids fit into the Oobr. Ava is begging for the 'monkey seat'. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC