Talk to me about mini vans.

Andie

We may be in the market soon. I have no clue on mini vans. I even have said I don't want to drive one, but it'd be so much easier to go places with other people with one.

What do you recommend and why?

ADS

scatterbunny

You know I did a ton of research before buying my Windstar in 2007, and basically, on a limited budget, the only minivans I'd consider are the Ford Windstar, Toyota Sienna, and Honda Odyssey. Obviously you'd have to go older to get a Honda or Toyota because resale value is higher on those, but you get better reliability, or so I've heard. The Windstar is definitely more affordable, and we LOVED ours. I really, really miss it. I think you have to go with 99+ for headrests, otherwise it's lowback seats, not great for carrying passengers older than booster-age. Still, you can find 99-00 Windstars for $3-$4K, and they have top tethers in all rear seating positions, plus one on the back of the front passenger seat! The captain's chairs in the 99 have super-long buckle stalks that aren't conducive to some harnessed seat installs (the Regent short belt path was impossible there), but the bench is fine, from what I can recall of Judi's.

Avoid Chevy/Dodge/Chrysler minivans (older ones, anyway--the newest are better in safety, I'm sure, but again, on a budget, not so great for the older models). The older MPVs aren't too hot, either, but I've heard the newer ones aren't terrible. They have a shorter wheel base than most minivans, and drive a bit more like a car, a bit easier to park (we had a 92 or 93 MPV, can't remember exactly now; wasn't very carseat friendly). I don't think the older Mercury Villager is great, either...IIRC, it's an older Chevy Venture clone, which are crappy (safety-wise). They have really wide third rows, though, unlike most minivans, but I wouldn't take passenger space over safety, personally. The newer Kia Sedona (like, 06+, IIRC) are supposed to be great, but, again, budget... :p

valleyfam

Another Windstar fan here (01) but give us your short list of wants/needs and maybe we can be more specific. Just give in mini vans are great!:D

Momto3Divaz

gosh its been a long time since I've been on this site Miss it! And I think we are ready to switch the Durgango.... ~watching this thread for more replies~

What's your budget or year range you're looking at? How many kids?

If above 2000, you should be fine with any Honda or Toyota minivan.

Ford is ok around 2000 as well, just not quite as good as the Japanese from what I remember (but a heck of a lot cheaper). Not unsafe.

Chrysler/Dodge is so-so from the 90s. Not deathtraps, but there are enough weird recalls or issues that I'd place them after Ford until about the mid 2000s. Drivetrains (engine and transmission) tend to be the main reliability worries. Honestly, if it's mid 2000s and newer, I'd prefer the Chrysler over the Ford but it's a personal preference thing. We've had Fords and Chrysler/Dodge minivans and the Ford Aerostar left such a bad taste in our mouths that even tho Ford makes good products now, we're prejudiced against them.

As for Chevy/GM/Pontiac/Oldsmobile - just stay away prior to 2006 or 2007. Course, they killed off the minivan in 2008 so it's quite a narrow window there. If you look up crash photos - YIKES!

Mazda was ok after 2000. The 2nd generation one basically. Very few out there though.

Nissan - also worth considering like the Mazda if you can find one. Reliability was the main bugaboo. The current model is what you want, cuz the older one was like a mini minivan (like the Mazda MPV). However, it was a new plant that was building it so they were essentially learning on the fly.

stephie1012

we just bought an 08hyundai entourage, it was a left over. I love it, i always said i would never get a mini van heck im 23yrs old lol. anyway its nice and roomy and the kids love it so do i.

Crap, I keep forgetting the Koreans. Stupid cuz I even convinced my sister and uncle to buy Hyundais (which they love). THey're quite good actually. The newer ones, especially, have great safety ratings.

Andie

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We'd like something over '96/'97 - definitely want the locking belts. We can't spend a lot, but we may finance a good used one, haven't decided yet. We only have 2 kids, but the possibility for a 3rd in the next few years is there.

Oh, and headrests are important, since I'll have passengers from time to time.

Right now, the kids are in a Vivo and a RF Uptown. I'd like a True Fit for CJ if we can manage it though.

Mama Jo

I'm trying to buy a Kia Sedona right now. It's the same as the Hyundai Entourage with a slightly lower price tag. Excellent safety and crash test ratings.

I came across a link to an awesome site on another thread here that can help you find safety ratings for whatever you're looking for.

www.informedforlife.org

scatterbunny

To clarify, the Sedona with excellent ratings is the newer (like, 06+) models, right? Because I distinctly remember the ones in my price range were older, with not very good ratings.

Mama Jo

To clarify, the Sedona with excellent ratings is the newer (like, 06+) models, right? Because I distinctly remember the ones in my price range were older, with not very good ratings.

Yes, I probably should have clarified. I'm looking for an 06-08, so I didn't check the ratings of the older ones, but I think the body style changed in 06 which dramatically improved the safety ratings. I don't think the older body style was as good.

ktshea

We just bought an Odyssey (and I didn't think I'd EVER drive a minivan, lol!). I really, really like it. It's a great quality vehicle, very versatile, great for the kiddos. And they were very flexible on the price (for a 2009), which was nice.

We really considered a Hyundai Entourage. They were giving away all sorts of incentives, which really brought the price down considerably. Great safety ratings on them and the Kia Entourage (they're essentially the same van) and did I mention the price is fantastic? We had a Hyundai Elantra for my husband's commuting vehicle for almost 9 years and never had a single problem with it.

Happy shopping!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The 2006 and newer Kia Sedonas are worth every cent!

In 2006 the IIHS said they were the safest minivan they had ever tested! The 2007 and newer (I think) Odyssey and Sienna have similar safety records, but earlier models aren't as safe as the 06 and newer Sedona.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC