Question Second hand SnugRide car seat base...

K's Mama

I just got a second SnugRide base from someone - no accidents, looks to be in good condition (one of the few people I would trust getting a second hand car seat/base from). However, before we use it I have a couple of questions.

It's been stored in their garage since 2006 - in Saskatchewan - so lots of cold/heat cycles - will this affect it's integrity?

DOM if August 2003 - IIRC Graco has a 6 year expiry - so it should be good until this August - right? Would it expire at the end of August or on the anniversary of the DOM - have to double check that?

Also, since the base is from 2003 that means it was made for a 20lb seat - our seat is a 22 lb seat though - not sure if that makes a difference or not?

I'm really *hoping* that this base will work - we'd like to use it in our second vehicle from April - end of August (DH will be on leave so we'll be using both vehicles a fair amount - once he's back to work we'll really only be using my car - hence why we'd only need the extra base for a few months). I'd really prefer to not have to go buy a new base is possible b/c the ones we've seen in stores have manufacturer dates from 2+ years ago :thumbsdown: at a hefty price of $50-$60. Although hmmmm - any chance Sears or Toys R Us would discount a base b/c of its age?

Thanks!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Graco's expiry goes until the end of the expiry year. So December of whatever year it expires. 6 years sound right, so I believe it would expire December of '09. As for being stored in a SK garage, heck it better be okay, if not, everyone living in Saskatchewan has unsafe child restraints as well (they are "stored" in the vehicle in the garage or in the vehicle directly outside for years).

I can't recall if the 20 pound bases can be used with the 22 pounds seats, but if they can, then you can only use the base to 20 pounds.

K's Mama

Thanks! That's evn better than I'd hoped if we can use it until the end of the year!

As for being stored in a SK garage, heck it better be okay, if not, everyone living in Saskatchewan has unsafe child restraints as well (they are "stored" in the vehicle in the garage or in the vehicle directly outside for years).

LOL! Yeah - ok, I guess I wasn't really thinking when I asked that - can I blame it on PG brain?

Where would I find out if a 20lb base can be used with a 22lb seat?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Where would I find out if a 20lb base can be used with a 22lb seat?
I bet one of the fine techs here will know the answer to this one so hopefully you will get an answer soon. If not, you could contact Graco, but sometimes you get different answers from different reps on these sorts of questions...:rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've never personally confirmed with Graco, but seen stated around here by other techs who have talked to Graco that the 22lb seats can be used with the 20lb base but only to 20lbs.

I know our bases at work are all very recent DOM - probably less than 6 months old... but I'm guessing that we have a higher turnover.

It sounds like you know the history of it and everything, and trust the person you're getting it from, so it sounds fine. :)

Evolily

Graco's expiration is 6 years plus some months- if you have a seat made in January you'll get 11 months more use out of it than a seat made in December.

K's Mama

Thanks! I tried looking on the Graco Canada site but couldn't find much info. Seat manufacturer date is 080203 - I'm assuming that means August 03 and NOT August 02? They purchased the base in 2005...

How do I find out if there have been any recalls on the base? Model # is C7458COV - it's for a *Euro* Graco Seat (I think that just refers to the cover/extra padding and such?) - ours is just a regular seat...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks! I tried looking on the Graco Canada site but couldn't find much info. Seat manufacturer date is 080203 - I'm assuming that means August 03 and NOT August 02? They purchased the base in 2005...

How do I find out if there have been any recalls on the base? Model # is C7458COV - it's for a *Euro* Graco Seat (I think that just refers to the cover/extra padding and such?) - ours is just a regular seat...

There was a batch of Graco bases recalled sometime in the 2002 or 2003 time period, but I don't know the exact dates. Check TC's recall site and look for the Graco base recall.

eta: Looks like March 02 to March 03 bases, so yours should be outside it. And it is 2003 that your base was made. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC