Time for next slot?

LuvMyCharlie

Just seeing what you guys think about this. He's been in the second slot for almost a year, now. I noticed the other day it looked like he was even with the third slot so I think I'm gonna move it up. This is a really bad pic(sorry!) and you can see how out of line my cover is with the actual seat. Thoughts:

ADS

Pixels

He's RFing, so it's better to err on the side of being too low. Do the straps ever slip off his shoulders, or come close? If not, leave it for a little while till it's clear he's over. If the straps are slipping off, then it would be better to move up.

brooklynsmommy

I was totally questioning the responses too! Your siggy says that he's RFing.... so they shouldn't even be above his shoulders right now...

LuvMyCharlie

Like I said, the picture is really bad. His shoulder was actually pressing onto the paint stick, even angling it up a bit. Therefore, I believe that makes him even with the third slots.

BeckC

His shoulders look even to the stick in the picture. RF is below or at. Looks "at" to me.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
His shoulders look even to the stick in the picture. RF is below or at. Looks "at" to me.

I agree 100%.

I'd move the straps up and not look back. A kid being 1/8" underneath the slots is not going to cause seat failure. If he's so close to even with them that it's hard to say for sure, that's good enough for me. (Though I think in this case he's definitely even.)

I would also have no problem with putting the straps in the slot up if a child is super duper close to them. When in doubt, move them up applies for rf'ing too. I wouldn't err on the side of leaving them in the lower ones down just in case the kiddo wasn't quite at them - if it looks like they're at them, (when checking against the slots in the shell,) then that's no problem.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
If he's RF I would NOT move them up....Based on your picture anyway. If the pic is not accurately depicting where there are, then I don't know what to tell you. But from what I can see they look AT or even slightly above his shoulders and they should be at or below.

LuvMyCharlie

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'm going to keep him in the second ones right now just in case he scooches down over a long ride. Most of our driving is short, 15 minute trips.

Oh, and I AM a tech. I do know the rule for RF harness use. :p I was simply trying to get other's perspectives.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'm going to keep him in the second ones right now just in case he scooches down over a long ride. Most of our driving is short, 15 minute trips.

Oh, and I AM a tech. I do know the rule for RF harness use. :p I was simply trying to get other's perspectives.

My very honest :twocents: is that it's worth moving them up for a trip. He definitely looks even to me - so even if he slides down slightly so the straps end up ever so slightly above his shoulders, it's not going to cause his seat to fail in a crash. And I suspect once you have the straps moved up you'll realize he's definitely even or so very very close that he has a much better fit.

Of course the picture could be misleading, but if you move them up and he's noticeably and definitely under them, then move them back down. Otherwise any amount he sinks in a trip isn't going to be enough to cause a problem. Worst case scenario you move the straps twice. Or you might discover that the straps are pulling him down in to the seat and he's actually been sitting in a somewhat unnatural position.

While rf'ing is at or below, ever so slightly above can be a perfectly acceptable decision at times. I've done it with my own kids - both of them actually. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
you might discover that the straps are pulling him down in to the seat and he's actually been sitting in a somewhat unnatural position.

I find this is very often the case...once you move the straps up, you aren't pushing the shoulders down, and you see the shoulders definitely are AT the next slots up. And really, they do look AT the slots to me :)

LuvMyCharlie

Well then...I guess I'll have to move them up and at the very least take a picture. A better picture. With my much better Rebel. ;) Poor guy is not feeling well at all today(102.5 fever), so it'll be later this weekend. Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC