Kia Sedona - LWB vs SWB

Mama Jo

How do you know the difference between the short wheel base and the long wheel base Sedona? Is there a designation, like the LX vs. the EX or the 60/40 vs. the 50/50 3rd row split or something like that? Do all years have both a short wheel base and a long wheel base? All the ones I'm seeing on the dealers' websites now that I'm shopping all over again have the 50/50 3rd row split, so are they all short wheel base?

I don't want to call a dealer again now until I find something I actually want to look at, and I don't want to waste my time looking at something I don't actually want.

Sorry again for being a PITA!! lol

ADS
I have SWB(2007). If I was getting a minivan again I would get the LWB. There is awseome deals on them now.
Here is the backseat of a SWB
12.jpg

The SWB is a pain in the rear for 3-across, the LWB is awseome for 3-across.
The LWB seats fold into the ground the SWB don't. All seats do flip up though.

On the SWB I have a set of latch and tethers on each captains chair and latch and tether on back 2 seats (just not middle). ALL seats have Lap/shoulder belt.

bethng

I have a 06 LWB sedona and the stow and go seats in the back are so nice when I need the storage! I can put my regent and DC back there (with the seatbelt not LATCH) and still fit my 10 year old in between. Now granted, she is not too thrilled about it but she does fit. Gas mileage sucks though. I have decided I want something like a mazda 5. Those pics in the other thread have sold me! lol! Now I gotta find a good deal.

Mama Jo

I do want the LWB if I can find it because I'll need to fit 3 across. The problem is, everything I'm seeing now looks like the SWB. But none of them indicate one way or the other, so I was just confused as to whether or not I was looking at them wrong or what. They all look like they have the 50/50 split 3rd row and the one I had picked out before it was sold had a 60/40 split 3rd row.

I need to find another one before I lose my mind!! I'm tired of shopping! LOL

Mama Jo

All I keep finding are the SWB and I'm getting so frustrated!! So this morning I called the largest dealer in the area... I mean, it's seriously huge... they don't walk you through the car lot, they have to drive you through... anyway, I called them and told them exactly what I wanted and to call me when they found it somewhere and could get it for me. Didn't hear back today. I'm definitely making him work for his commission!

Mama Jo

I'm seriously considering it. Even without seeing it in person. I'm going to see if I can get my financing confirmed tomorrow and then call the dealership and work through all the paperwork on the phone so all I'd have to do is show up, look it over real quick, sign, and drive off! LOL

Except that we're supposed to get a stupid blizzard.

But it's perfect! The right color... no leather (I despise leather)... the 60/40 stow and go 3rd row... I need it. I need it right now.

Mama Jo

Ok guys, I may be an idiot, but cross your fingers for me... I have a car dealership working on my paperwork as we speak for a vehicle 200 miles away from me that I've never seen in person... LOL

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Ok guys, I may be an idiot, but cross your fingers for me... I have a car dealership working on my paperwork as we speak for a vehicle 200 miles away from me that I've never seen in person... LOL

Good luck! I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

southpawboston

ya know,

the twin sister to the sedona is the hyundai entourage, which is only sold as the LWB. they are the same vehicle as the kias, except that the entourage is optioned out more than the kias (as hyundai represents the "higher" end of the hyun-kia conglomerate). so if you really need a LWB sedona, why not look at the entourage?

check it:

Entourage----------GLS------Limited
Wheelbase (in.)---118.9-----118.9
Overall Length-----202.0-----202.0

Sedona-------------Base------LX/EX
Wheelbase (in.)---113.8------118.9
Overall Length-----189.4------202.0

Mama Jo

ya know,

the twin sister to the sedona is the hyundai entourage, which is only sold as the LWB. they are the same vehicle as the kias, except that the entourage is optioned out more than the kias (as hyundai represents the "higher" end of the hyun-kia conglomerate). so if you really need a LWB sedona, why not look at the entourage?

check it:

Entourage----------GLS------Limited
Wheelbase (in.)---118.9-----118.9
Overall Length-----202.0-----202.0

Sedona-------------Base------LX/EX
Wheelbase (in.)---113.8------118.9
Overall Length-----189.4------202.0

I did look at the Entourage as well. But on the websites I checked, the Sedona seems to have higher safety scores. :shrug-shoulders:

southpawboston

I did look at the Entourage as well. But on the websites I checked, the Sedona seems to have higher safety scores. :shrug-shoulders:

that's misleading. where did you check? they're identical vehicles except for the badges. they should perform identically in crash tests.

entourage seems to get the same IIHS and NHTSA ratings as sedona. :confused:

unless you went by informedforlife.org's ratings, which are flawed and confusing. another reason i can not recommend that site. i've said it before and i'll say it again, IFL is NOT the place to go for "informed" decisions. :twocents: IFL should really make it clearer how they base their calculations. most people who browse their scores don't read into how they are calculated. it's unconscionable, actually, that they have the influence to sway people away from one vehicle to another based on a flawed interpretation of actual crash scores. believe me, the crash scores for the entourage and sedona are IDENTICAL.

in fact, if you read the fine print on IFL, they even say for the entourage rating that the actual van used for the testing was the sedona. AND, if you go to IIHS.org, they state that the results of the entourage apply to the sedona and vice versa:

Kia Sedona
2006-08 models
results also apply to: 2007-08 Hyundai Entourage

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
bumping this to add a question.

Is the back row seating and availablility of stow and go tyhe ONLY big differences in the lwb vs swb?? Are there other concerns? Mileage?

i will NEVER need to do a 3-across that I can possibly conceive of, so I'm wondering if it is worth it to search out the lwb specifically and/or possibly pay more for it???

thanks!

ajay

I think you'll want the LWB, which only comes in LX or EX as I understand it. The SWB makes it hard to get a big stroller and anything else in the back without putting a seat down. What if you go grocery shopping and get a lot or need to bring home boxes, etc? I don't even have kids in my third row EVER, but I find myself stowing the seats a lot more than I ever thought I would. Good luck! You'll love the Sedona!

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I think you'll want the LWB, which only comes in LX or EX as I understand it. The SWB makes it hard to get a big stroller and anything else in the back without putting a seat down. What if you go grocery shopping and get a lot or need to bring home boxes, etc? I don't even have kids in my third row EVER, but I find myself stowing the seats a lot more than I ever thought I would. Good luck! You'll love the Sedona!

Is this true that the LX or EX only come in a long wheel base? Also, do the windows go down in the sliding doors like the Sienna's? We looked at a Sienna a couple of weeks ago and DH was totally turned off by the sales guy plus all the bad publicity that Toyota has right now. We were going to look at a Chrysler Town and Country this weekend but I cancelled that trip. I wasn't really thrilled about them.

There is a Kia dealership about 35 miles from here and DH wants to go see a Sedona IRL. He's been looking at them online and they seem to have similar features to the Sienna's. He isn't thrilled with our 08 Uplander. I'm not thrilled with it either but it is transportation and the payment is super cheap.

Suzibeck

Is this true that the LX or EX only come in a long wheel base? Also, do the windows go down in the sliding doors like the Sienna's?

I'm not sure about the lwb thing, we do have the lwb however. Yes, the windows go down in the sliding doors on our 2008 Sedona. I love that feature.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC