Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

Kia Sedona - LWB vs SWB

How do you know the difference between the short wheel base and the long wheel base Sedona? Is there a designation, like the LX vs. the EX or the 60/40 vs. the 50/50 3rd row split or something like that? Do all years have both a short wheel base and a long wheel base? All the ones I'm seeing on the dealers' websites now that I'm shopping all over again have the 50/50 3rd row split, so are they all short wheel base?

I don't want to call a dealer again now until I find something I actually want to look at, and I don't want to waste my time looking at something I don't actually want.

Sorry again for being a PITA!! lol
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Kia Sedona - LWB vs SWB

I have SWB(2007). If I was getting a minivan again I would get the LWB. There is awseome deals on them now.
    Here is the backseat of a SWB

The SWB is a pain in the rear for 3-across, the LWB is awseome for 3-across.
    The LWB seats fold into the ground the SWB don't. All seats do flip up though.

On the SWB I have a set of latch and tethers on each captains chair and latch and tether on back 2 seats (just not middle). ALL seats have Lap/shoulder belt.

I have a 06 LWB sedona and the stow and go seats in the back are so nice when I need the storage! I can put my regent and DC back there (with the seatbelt not LATCH) and still fit my 10 year old in between. Now granted, she is not too thrilled about it but she does fit. Gas mileage sucks though. I have decided I want something like a mazda 5. Those pics in the other thread have sold me! lol! Now I gotta find a good deal.
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...26 yrs Skylar- 21 yrs Molly-18 yrs -and Avery -14yrs - 100+ pounds 5 stepping!

I do want the LWB if I can find it because I'll need to fit 3 across. The problem is, everything I'm seeing now looks like the SWB. But none of them indicate one way or the other, so I was just confused as to whether or not I was looking at them wrong or what. They all look like they have the 50/50 split 3rd row and the one I had picked out before it was sold had a 60/40 split 3rd row.

I need to find another one before I lose my mind!! I'm tired of shopping! LOL
    Mama to
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Senior Community Member

I have a LWB '06, it's AWESOME!

It does have the 60/40 3rd row and stow and go seating.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

All I keep finding are the SWB and I'm getting so frustrated!! So this morning I called the largest dealer in the area... I mean, it's seriously huge... they don't walk you through the car lot, they have to drive you through... anyway, I called them and told them exactly what I wanted and to call me when they found it somewhere and could get it for me. Didn't hear back today. I'm definitely making him work for his commission!
    Mama to
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Ok, I found exactly the one I want...

2007 Kia Sedona EX

Now I just have to drive 200 miles to get it
    Mama to
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

It would be a nice comfy 200 miles home!

I'm seriously considering it. Even without seeing it in person. I'm going to see if I can get my financing confirmed tomorrow and then call the dealership and work through all the paperwork on the phone so all I'd have to do is show up, look it over real quick, sign, and drive off! LOL

Except that we're supposed to get a stupid blizzard.

But it's perfect! The right color... no leather (I despise leather)... the 60/40 stow and go 3rd row... I need it. I need it right now.
    Mama to
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Ok guys, I may be an idiot, but cross your fingers for me... I have a car dealership working on my paperwork as we speak for a vehicle 200 miles away from me that I've never seen in person... LOL
    Mama to
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jo View Post
    Ok guys, I may be an idiot, but cross your fingers for me... I have a car dealership working on my paperwork as we speak for a vehicle 200 miles away from me that I've never seen in person... LOL
    Good luck! I hope you love it as much as I love mine!
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

CPS Fanatic

ya know,

the twin sister to the sedona is the hyundai entourage, which is only sold as the LWB. they are the same vehicle as the kias, except that the entourage is optioned out more than the kias (as hyundai represents the "higher" end of the hyun-kia conglomerate). so if you really need a LWB sedona, why not look at the entourage?

check it:

Entourage----------GLS------Limited
    Wheelbase (in.)---118.9-----118.9
    Overall Length-----202.0-----202.0

Sedona-------------Base------LX/EX
    Wheelbase (in.)---113.8------118.9
    Overall Length-----189.4------202.0
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    ya know,

the twin sister to the sedona is the hyundai entourage, which is only sold as the LWB. they are the same vehicle as the kias, except that the entourage is optioned out more than the kias (as hyundai represents the "higher" end of the hyun-kia conglomerate). so if you really need a LWB sedona, why not look at the entourage?

check it:

Entourage----------GLS------Limited
    Wheelbase (in.)---118.9-----118.9
    Overall Length-----202.0-----202.0

Sedona-------------Base------LX/EX
    Wheelbase (in.)---113.8------118.9
    Overall Length-----189.4------202.0

I did look at the Entourage as well. But on the websites I checked, the Sedona seems to have higher safety scores.
    Mama to
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jo View Post
    I did look at the Entourage as well. But on the websites I checked, the Sedona seems to have higher safety scores.
    that's misleading. where did you check? they're identical vehicles except for the badges. they should perform identically in crash tests.

entourage seems to get the same IIHS and NHTSA ratings as sedona.

unless you went by informedforlife.org's ratings, which are flawed and confusing. another reason i can not recommend that site. i've said it before and i'll say it again, IFL is NOT the place to go for "informed" decisions. IFL should really make it clearer how they base their calculations. most people who browse their scores don't read into how they are calculated. it's unconscionable, actually, that they have the influence to sway people away from one vehicle to another based on a flawed interpretation of actual crash scores. believe me, the crash scores for the entourage and sedona are IDENTICAL.

in fact, if you read the fine print on IFL, they even say for the entourage rating that the actual van used for the testing was the sedona. AND, if you go to IIHS.org, they state that the results of the entourage apply to the sedona and vice versa:

Kia Sedona
    2006-08 models
    results also apply to: 2007-08 Hyundai Entourage
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

bumping this to add a question.

Is the back row seating and availablility of stow and go tyhe ONLY big differences in the lwb vs swb?? Are there other concerns? Mileage?

i will NEVER need to do a 3-across that I can possibly conceive of, so I'm wondering if it is worth it to search out the lwb specifically and/or possibly pay more for it???

thanks!

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

I think you'll want the LWB, which only comes in LX or EX as I understand it. The SWB makes it hard to get a big stroller and anything else in the back without putting a seat down. What if you go grocery shopping and get a lot or need to bring home boxes, etc? I don't even have kids in my third row EVER, but I find myself stowing the seats a lot more than I ever thought I would. Good luck! You'll love the Sedona!

Good Luck! We just bought a 2008 Sedona LWB (I guess, it has stow and go seats) and we it.
    Mom to three big girls in adult seat belts (20, 17, and 14) and one booster rider (8) in a Kia Sedona and a VW Tiguan.

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajay View Post
    I think you'll want the LWB, which only comes in LX or EX as I understand it. The SWB makes it hard to get a big stroller and anything else in the back without putting a seat down. What if you go grocery shopping and get a lot or need to bring home boxes, etc? I don't even have kids in my third row EVER, but I find myself stowing the seats a lot more than I ever thought I would. Good luck! You'll love the Sedona!

Is this true that the LX or EX only come in a long wheel base? Also, do the windows go down in the sliding doors like the Sienna's? We looked at a Sienna a couple of weeks ago and DH was totally turned off by the sales guy plus all the bad publicity that Toyota has right now. We were going to look at a Chrysler Town and Country this weekend but I cancelled that trip. I wasn't really thrilled about them.

There is a Kia dealership about 35 miles from here and DH wants to go see a Sedona IRL. He's been looking at them online and they seem to have similar features to the Sienna's. He isn't thrilled with our 08 Uplander. I'm not thrilled with it either but it is transportation and the payment is super cheap.
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGIRLLYNDSEY View Post
    Is this true that the LX or EX only come in a long wheel base? Also, do the windows go down in the sliding doors like the Sienna's?
    I'm not sure about the lwb thing, we do have the lwb however. Yes, the windows go down in the sliding doors on our 2008 Sedona. I love that feature.
    Mom to three big girls in adult seat belts (20, 17, and 14) and one booster rider (8) in a Kia Sedona and a VW Tiguan.