News AAP article about rearfacing to at least age 2 (not a policy change)

ADS

MomToEliEm

Re: AAP recommending rearfacing to at least age 2

Great! I hope pediatricians start following the AAP recommendations. I also hope car seat manufacturers will start labeling their carseats with the new minimum recommendations and not 1 year and 20 pounds.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, the car seat handout in our ped's office is the one from 1999. :rolleyes: I know that's just the practice's handout, and our individual ped is very supportive of car seat safety (she was happy when I told her that DD is still RF and DS still rides in at least a booster all the time) but still. I'm going to keep an eye out for updated materials on the AAP site and take her a copy when they're available.

mimieliza

This is awesome! And I agree, I hope carseat manufactures start age two the minimum for FFing as well.

christineka

I want the manufacturers to up the forward facing minimum weight to 30 pounds, not change the age. We have all heard of babies who are 35 pounds at age 1. What legal car seat are they supposed to use if all the car seats require age 2 to forward face, but only rear-face to 35 pounds?

Anywa, I think this is awesome and great news. I've shared it already.

capeKO71

LOVE THAT! I've been telling people 2 (because they just don't get the "until 35lbs" thing...) and I'm so happy to now be able to say... the "new AAP recommendation is to rear face until at least 2".... whoo hoo!

zeo2ski

This is making me so happy, what a big step in promoting ERFing. Hopefully someday we'll be able to take the "E" off because it will just be the norm.

jess71903

Ambassador

YAY!!!!:cool!::2thumbsup:

I'm considering printing that off and sending it to every peds office in the county!

emandbri

I posted on my st. Louis board about it. I had a couple of people say "my child would never have let me do that" bla bla bla but a handful said they were on board.

One women JUST bought a new seat and went to have it installed at the fire station where I volunteer and was told that "she can be forward facing now." She says she wished the fight fighters were on board. Well, yes I do too! :rolleyes:

thepote

Does anyone know what the procedure is from the AAP for disseminating these sort of guideline changes to the physician community?

emandbri

Does anyone know what the procedure is from the AAP for disseminating these sort of guideline changes to the physician community?

I don't know. My dr still has stuff on her door dated 1999. :whistle: I printed new stuff for her but she never put it up.

Years ago I worked on a car seat info packet. I was hoping to put it in waiting rooms but I ended up moving and never started it again.

Wife&MomX3

I was SOOO happy to read this! I hope more parents realize how dangerous the '1 & 20' thing was.
I want the manufacturers to up the forward facing minimum weight to 30 pounds, not change the age. We have all heard of babies who are 35 pounds at age 1. What legal car seat are they supposed to use if all the car seats require age 2 to forward face, but only rear-face to 35 pounds?
The law isnt changing, so those rare 35lb 12 mon olds wont be riding illegally. The recommendation is changing, to say "RF to the seat's limits, or at least age two". If yer child hits the limit before age two, then you've still RF'd to the limit, regardless of age.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

AAP doesn't make laws, no child will be illegal to forward face before age 2 as long as they meet the seat's requirements.

christineka

I was responding to the poster(s) before me that wanted manufacturers to put an age 2 minimum to forward face. If there were no seats with a 1 year minimum to forward face, then it would be illegal for someone to forward face their 35 pound baby.

Evolily

So it's probably going to say something like "All children should ride rear facing until at least their 2nd birthday OR until they reach the limits of their rear facing convertible car seat"?

Coolios. I hope this gets some press. They have yet to change their website info, though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

I was responding to the poster(s) before me that wanted manufacturers to put an age 2 minimum to forward face. If there were no seats with a 1 year minimum to forward face, then it would be illegal for someone to forward face their 35 pound baby.

Ah gotcha. :)

Maedze

It would be simply to rectify the dilemma by simply saying, for example, the child must be 1 year old, 34" inches and 30 pounds for forward facing. That will force most children to stay rf to two.

Once getting seats to 40-55 lbs rearfacing as a standard, then it's fine to put an age restriction on it (I.E, must be 3 and 30 to forward face, etc)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC