Question Expired car seat

poohbearkrazy

If you saw that someone was trying to sell a car seat on craigslist that you knew was expired, would you say anything to the poster? Just curious

-Christine

ADS

nevaehsmommy

I contact the seller then I post on the main baby.kids forum about car seats expiring.

I feel it is ethically iresponsible not to let the seller know. They may be clueless. Or they might be out to make a buck....

At any rate a little education never hurt anyone.

poohbearkrazy

Ok thanks guys, I wanted to and i'm going to now but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't over stepping my boundaries.

And just to make sure. This is definitely an expired seat right? I'm thinking DOM in 96-99

3n13k73m6ZZZZZZZZZ93vf1e09432954e132e.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, I think that is a safe bet. I am picking up a freecycling seat tomorrow!

babygirlsmom1005

I send a e-mail and then flag (if they don't remove it), I have only had one person reply negitavly saying that carseats don't expire, all the rest were clueless and I got a thank you reply and they removed their listings.

Mama Jo

Depending on the price, I've been known to purchase an expired seat or two... :whistle:

I first email from an anonymous email. If I don't get a response or I get a response I don't like, I then offer to purchase it from my actual email. Seller never knows I'm the same person :whistle:

I also flag and post warnings on craigslist and reference the EXACT post with the seat that's expired or has been recalled, telling people not to purchase it. Sure, the warnings sometimes get flagged off too, but not before a bunch of people get to read it first...

AtTheSouthDam

I stopped after getting all sorts of negative emails in return. I just flag now and post a warning to the shoppers on craigslist. I get a lot of thank you emails for that :)
I had a man claiming to be a fireman and tech (he wasn't) saying it was safer than nothing. One man started threatening and many, many emails telling to get a life and that car seats expiring was a con put on by the manufactures.

ETA: my warning post never mentions particular car seats, just signs that is most likely expired, the dangerous of a used seat, and the expiration dates for many of the brands.

Cryssy Jane

Here in seattle, people try and sell expired or nearly expired car seats all the time. I try my best to email them but usually get some sort of nasty reply back, or commonly I get, well it was in our second vehicle and didn't get used much so i feel comfortable selling it. People are the worst with britax seats, trying to get money back that they spent on it. For example there's a june 2002 seat up right now (so expired june 2008) and they want $100 for it. When I emailed them I just got nasty replies. Some people are clueless, however it seems like a good majority in this area are just in it to get some money back.

Katina128

I usually email and at last resort flag it if they don't pull it. I never thought to post on the main board. I should do that too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC