How old could THIS be?

MonsterMom6

We took the Daisy Scouts to the police station this evening and this was in the garage. I didn't have a chance to ask the officer giving us the tour if they actually USE it. Also didn't get a chance to look at the stickers without making a scene. BUT I wasn't the only mom to cast a wondering and disapproving glance at it. Any thoughts? I pay some serious tax dollars and think they could afford something more current.

Daisy-PoliceStation036-1.jpg

Daisy-PoliceStation039-1.jpg

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Based on the pictorial it's a century #2000 STE and was made from 1986 to 2002. Judging from the condition it's in I'm guessing it was probably made closer to the end date, and likely isn't being used for kids, but impossible to say for sure...

MonsterMom6

and likely isn't being used for kids, but impossible to say for sure...

Yeah....one would hope it's not being used for transport. It was sitting on top of a dog crate. The crate looks like it's used regularly.....probably by a 4 legged officer.

I overheard the tail end of a conversation with a mom and the officer that was car seat related. But I'm not sure it was about this....she may have asked him about our new booster law. But he clearly didn't know the answer to whatever she asked and offered to find someone who did, but then it was dropped. Never got a chance to ask him directly about the seat.

I don't really know these moms well yet and didn't think this was the time. I'd like to get to know them a little better first before being "branded" as car seat crazy. I've already been part of a conversation where I could tell that a few moms don't see things the way I do when it comes to car seats. But that's another topic for another day <sigh>.

MonsterMom6

it's probably just for demos or something!

Ya know, that thought did cross my mind. BUT I didn't see an others laying around. And if you want to get your seats checked in our area (and there isn't a seat check event), you go to a specific fire station.....not police station.

Yup, I think I just might have to write a letter.

Mama!

My first thought is they're using it to transport kids for emergencies.:( Maybe someone found it in a shed or g'ma's car and donated it.:thumbsdown:

TerisBoys

Based on the pictorial it's a century #2000 STE and was made from 1986 to 2002. Judging from the condition it's in I'm guessing it was probably made closer to the end date, and likely isn't being used for kids, but impossible to say for sure...

With the metal foot I'm guessing more towards the 1986 end. The Century seats had plastic feet when my kids were babies.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Maybe someone found it in a shed or g'ma's car and donated it.

I know this is why 1 of my local stations holds onto such seats . . . but, it's hard not to whip out my permanent marker & scribble EXPIRED: NOT SAFE all over 'em :whistle: especially when there have been instances where other officers have "borrowed" a seat or 2, assuming that the techs wouldn't keep unsafe seats around :thumbsdown: Although, it's also difficult to be upset with them considering they are doing so many other important things to keep us all safe :thumbsup: They don't destroy the used seats because, I'm told, they do collect them for training purposes & eventually they contact a friend who drives one of those construction vehicles with a huge roller (steam roller?) over the expired/crashed seats before sending them to the dump: that was a fun video to watch :p A nice letter might be the answer, or even a kind phone chat with whoever is in charge?

fyrfightermomma

I'd assume it was taken during a seat check or is used for public education demos. We have anciently old seats at our police dept also just to give a general "idea" to the public on how to install them

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I pay some serious tax dollars and think they could afford something more current.

That's not necessarily true. Many departments run on budgets well below what they really need to run properly. I work for a PD in a fairly affluent community and WE don't have $50 to buy a car seat; if I tried to order one the guy over in Finance would have a coniption!

Anyway, what WOULD be really helpful is if you talked to someone in the dept to find out the real scoop on that seat, if they could use a donated seat for transporting kids, etc. and then perhaps make it a Daisy Scout project. :twocents:

MonsterMom6

That's not necessarily true. Many departments run on budgets well below what they really need to run properly. I work for a PD in a fairly affluent community and WE don't have $50 to buy a car seat; if I tried to order one the guy over in Finance would have a coniption!

Anyway, what WOULD be really helpful is if you talked to someone in the dept to find out the real scoop on that seat, if they could use a donated seat for transporting kids, etc. and then perhaps make it a Daisy Scout project. :twocents:

Good points.

I would think that the department does have $50 to buy a seat, but they haven't budgeted for it. Thus the finance guy with his panties in a wad:eek:. And our PD offers a lot to the community- above just emergency services. Heck, you can expect a phone call or knock on your door if they see your garage door up and it's late at night.

I do plan to send a letter. That thing was haunting my dreams last night and I'm no where close to the fanatic that many of you are (I say with that with much love in my heart:love::love::love:).

That seat wasn't waiting to meet it's maker (or a giant steamroller). It was clearly marked in Sharpie "DPD-1", indicating it's their property.

I love the idea of making it a scout project somehow. Not sure how much interest I can get from the leaders, or the girls themselves. Worth some definite thought. I still need to get a feel for who the "car seat" moms are. Won't be hard as our Daisies are on the cusp for our new booster law and it should become a frequent conversation item :whistle:. Many will be close to age 8 when enforcement actually begins. I could see a lot of moms blowing it off....but there are some very tiny little girls in this troop.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm going to send a message off tonight after the critters hit the hay.

U

Unregistered1

If you don't mind me asking, what state are you in? We are at T minus five days until our booster law takes effect!

Mama!

There's a little girl who attends my DD's gymnastics school using the same seat now :(

Oh man.:( Is it in an old car or is it in a Mercedes like we've seen before? (that burns me up to see an ancient OHS contraption in a 40K car :cool:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC