too low

stephie1012

it seems DS harness is slipping off his shoulders. its a pitb to get on. I moved them up today and thought there were way to high. Hes RFing in the TF. is slipping ok?

ADS

Evolily

Slipping is not ok. If the harness is tight, the chest clip up high, no bulky clothing, etc, etc, I would make the decision to move the harness to the next slots. Just make sure the harness is tight.

Kristy00

Slipping is not ok. If the harness is tight, the chest clip up high, no bulky clothing, etc, etc, I would make the decision to move the harness to the next slots. Just make sure the harness is tight.

Also make sure the harness is at or below his shoulders. If it is above, then it is too high for rear facing.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I'm in agreement with this. My ds is in pretty much the exact same position between #2 and #3 on the True Fit. Over a few trips I hemmed and hawwed about which position to have him in. I could get a snug fit on #2, but it was a better fit on #3 and he was ever so slightly below them once he settled in to the seat. In the end I left them in position 3. The harness is a better fit there, and the amount that he's under is so miniscule that with a properly tightened harness he isn't going to ramp too far up the seat or risk being ejected.

The reason for harness at or below the shoulders is to prevent the child from "ramping" too far up the shell. You can imagine that if the shoulders were 1.5" below the slots, the child could slide up a full 1.5" before the harness would prevent them from sliding up the seat. When we're talking about 1/8", that amount is so miniscule that it's not going to cause a child to ramp excessively - and in a seat like the True Fit that has such a tall shell, the risk of a child's head going above the top of the shell if the harness is properly tightened - even if the straps are 1/8" above the shoulders, is next to none.

So yeah, I'd just move them up to the next harness position. Chances are that his shoulders are very very close to being even with the next position if the harness is starting to look like it's trying to slide off his shoulders.

Maedze

Also make sure the harness is at or below his shoulders. If it is above, then it is too high for rear facing.

Not in this case, no. While at or below is the correct and preferred harness position, having it above the shoulders is preferable to having it slip off the shoulders in the lower position.

stephie1012

its so hard to tell..im going to take pics tomorrow and post them...i moved them up the other day but they seemed to high so idk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Remember that the lap straps will help hold the child down, and as long as there's several inches of seat shell over the head, then the head won't 'ramp out' of the seat. The 'at or below' is really a lot more important with shorter seats, bigger kids, and seats with no lap straps (old 3 point infant seats, and overhead shield seats). It's still ideal, but a good tight harness being a little above the shoulders is WAY better than having the slots so much lower that the straps are slipping off.

SPJ&E

I had to make this decision recently too. Joshua is well above the 2nd slots up in his MA and the straps pull his shoulders way down (so much so that he cries and says it hurts). He's still a little bit below the 3rd slots up, but I decided to go ahead and move the straps up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC