Suv shopping /carseats?

lauralou

We are selling our pontiac g6 for a mid size suv.Used not new.So I have 2 kids in carseats.I also have 1 radian,1 boulevard and a booster.2 have to be used all times.What do you drive and what do you think of the way your installs go.Thank you advancly.:D

ADS

louisandheather

We have installed a radian and a britax roundabout in our hyundai touscon easily. I absolutely love our suv! There is plenty of room even though we have the radian rear facing. The hyundai veracruse is also very nice if you need a third row :)

canadiangie

I don't know if it's mid-sized, but I drive an Explorer. It has a 3rd row. I have the option to either do a 3 across set-up in the 2nd row, or use my 3rd row when I have a third seat in the mix. The 2nd row is wide enough to do three Marathons if I need (though it's pretty snugly ;)).

I'm not sure about needing to buckle a booster on a regular basis though. I think if I had a booster to buckle I'd try to avoid doing a 3 across... so I'd put someone in the 3rd row.

So in terms of how your seats would fit in my vehicle, it would be BV 2nd row outboard, RN 2nd row middle, and the booster in the 2nd row next to the RN, or bumped back to the 3rd row.

Not sure if that helps (I wrote it sort of confusing I think :eek:), or if a Ford is
on your list of possibilities, but there you go. :)

Good Luck!

ETA: the other day I helped a mom put a ff MA, ff RN, and SS1 in the backseat of her Escape. Had the MA been a second RN it would have been slightly less scrunchy, but even with the MA it was doable. That said, none of those seats are a booster... IME having to buckle a booster makes doing a 3 across less desirable. I did set a highback on the seat in place of the SS1 to see how buckling would be, and it was pretty nightmarish... not something her kiddo could do on her own.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. :)

jess71903

Ambassador
We have an '06 Explorer and really like it. I'm no help with car seat configurations, though, because I just have 1 kiddo. If I were looking right now, I would also look at the Ford Edge. I love the way it looks and it seems to have a roomy interior. I am hoping that's what I get to drive when I take my Explorer in for service, and if so, I'll check out the room in the back :).

Stretchy Glue

I have an 05 Envoy, without the 3rd row. I've had the easiest time installing seats in that truck. I've also gotten several 3 across configuration. It has 3 TA in the cargo area so any possition can be tethered. I love my truck. Any seat I try can be installed in it, and it took just seconds to get a Husky LBP tight. SBP is also acceptable in a very short time. Radian, piece of cake anywhere. Also, mine has good RF tether locations. The only thing I wish mine had was adjustable head rests. That being said, my 6 ft tall DH has adequate whiplash protection outboard.

cherrypie9377

hi there! we have an 03 ford explorer w/ the 3rd row. You can not put a RF convertible in the very back row, but you can put an infant seat/base.

That being said i've had 5 carseats in here w/ many different configurations. 3rd row GN and apex65. 2nd row, RF Titan Elite, RF SKR65/80, RF Scenera.

3rd Row:2 AOE's FF. 2nd row: GN, RF titan elite, FF scenera.

3rd Row: 2 AOE's. 2nd row, GN, RF Scenera, apex 65.

I have yet to find 3 car seats that wont fit in the middle row!

HTH

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I had a '05 Tahoe that I LOVED to pieces but got rid of due to my lease being up. I still miss it.

Installs were a piece of cake with any car seat I had. The only thing I had to do with the Britax seats was flip the vehicle head rest back due to them sticking forward. I just tumbled the vehicle seat forward like I was putting them into cargo mode and the headrest would fold back behind the seat back. Then just put them back into regular mode and installed the car seats.

I had caption chairs but with a bench in the 2nd row I could easily install 3 Regents across it. So 2 side by side won't be an issue.

jess71903

Ambassador
I can sit beside it comfortably so I would guess that a booster would fit. My friend has a backless turbo that I can try tonight if you want me to.

jess71903

Ambassador
I did :). It didn't work with the True Fit outboard and the Turbo center. I didn't uninstall my TF to try, but I think it would work if it was in the middle and the turbo outboard. The problem with that is that the TF is difficult to install center with a seatbelt in my Explorer. If you had a convertible that was up a little higher on a base, I think it would work. The armrest on the TB just hit the TF at the widest point.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Also don't forget to look at GM's crossovers (Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse & Buick Enclave). I will be getting the Acadia some time next year hopefully. Must pay off our G8 first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC