Our new frontier

arly1983

I followed Jools suggestion and checked out the one baby boutique within 100 miles and they had the Frontier in stock :eek: for $299:whistle:

I wasn't too crazy about it but didn't hate it. I knew the owner and she said if I bought it that day she would do a 15% off easter discount as a welcome back present so I bought it.

After I installed it and J used it this weekend, I was shocked to find that I like it. Its not love at first sight but J likes it so much that I like it myself.

It was a GREAT fit in the 3rd row of my 04 Ford Freestar. Seriously, I was expecting pain and agony but it was about a 5 min install with the long belt path. I was also thinking I would have loads of overhang but there is not nearly so much.

J climbs into this so much easier than the GN. He does not have the best coordination and I think it was a combination of the armrest flipping up and the front of the seat not being as high as the GNs. I was really pleased that we have another crotch setting out and loads of room in the shoulders and legs.

Heightwise, he has about the same amount of room as the GN and radian65 installed in the same seating position. I was hoping for more but oh, well. I think my second seat will have to be a regent.

I really needed 2 more seats but couldn't swing the price yet, so I pulled the MA I got way on sale for S out of the closet for C to use. Now that she can climb into herself, I actually don't mind her in it. She has stubby legs so plenty of leg support. Its a good substitute for now.

Hopefully, C can start buckling herself in the next few months and go into the 3rd row by herself and I can put J in a capts chair in the regent. Since the radian and frontier seem to have the same amount of room for him, C will go in the frontier in the 3rd row middle and the radian will stay in MIL's car.

Picture117.jpg

Picture116.jpg

Picture115.jpg

Picture114.jpg

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wowzers, what a drive. It was nice of them to give you a discount :love:

I'm so glad it installed ok and he likes it. :thumbsup:

arly1983

Wowzers, what a drive. It was nice of them to give you a discount :love:

I'm so glad it installed ok and he likes it. :thumbsup:

LOL, no, it was only 30 miles away and tiny but the next one that carried carseats was in Macon and more than 100 miles. I guess I said it wrong.

The drive was relaxing. I didn't take anyone with me. DH gave me a break and kept the kids.

djma

He looks great in it! I'm glad you found something that will work! And it does look nice next to the cowmoo MA.

Now...you just need the corroco (sp?) for S!! :D

Splash

Glad to know that installs well there. What are you tethering them to? AJ's is an 06 Monterey (same thing) with only one tether and no option to add more. Does the 04 have another or can it be added?

That vehicle (at least AJ's) is so difficult to install seats in. The back row isn't as bad as the middle, but overall I think it's almost worse than my Subaru!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah well, I read it wrong... in that case? 30 miles ALONE? Wowzers, what a drive (lol, can you read my different tone there?)
:love:

arly1983

Glad to know that installs well there. What are you tethering them to? AJ's is an 06 Monterey (same thing) with only one tether and no option to add more. Does the 04 have another or can it be added?

That vehicle (at least AJ's) is so difficult to install seats in. The back row isn't as bad as the middle, but overall I think it's almost worse than my Subaru!

The Frontier is top tethered but the Marathon is not. Tiffiany (Papooses) posted that she got the ok from Britax to tether her regent installed outboard to the center top tether so when I had a regent, I also called and got the ok. I just made the decision to also tether the Frontier there. I will probably call soon and get the ok for that as well, I don't think they would say yes for the regent and no for the frontier. I am hoping to get one child out of the 3rd row soon so I can move one seat back to the center.

As far as I know, you can't add another top tether. I called ez-on and talked to two different people who said to call Ford and Ford said there was nowhere to install an heavy duty anchor in the cargo area. I want to call back a made sure that I get the same answer on that again one day. You know, when I have the patience to explain why...they always ask why.

I am always surprised when you post how hard it is to install seats in her van. My Freestar's 3rd row bench has always been a breeze to install seats in, even the radian with seatbelt. Surely, they must have different seats, maybe because of the different year models. I have the capt's chairs so can't comment on the middle row bench.

Splash

her are captain's chairs as well, but so difficult with the belt because the buckle is on the side at least 3-4 inches in front of the bight.

MOM25BOYS

That looks like a perfect fit in the back row for you Arly!:thumbsup: I am glad J likes it and it was easy for you to install.:D I was surprised how easy my Frontiers installed on the 3rd row. Loads easier than the RN's.:p

mum2two

I have an 04 Monterey and while sitting in the 3rd row yesterday discovered that the seatbelt shoulder portion is height adjustable for the 1st and 2nd rows....I was looking at DS who RF (MA with latch) and just glanced up at where the seatbelt attaches to the side and discovered that....I lowered it on the drivers side and now my seatbelt doesn't strangle me as much- I was thinking that might help when I have to install using a seatbelt at 48lbs.

I've had the van for 3 years and just learned this, not always the brightest girl around, took me a year to find the button that opens the sliding doors, the one on the inside of the sliding door panel!:whistle:

AtTheSouthDam

The Frontier is top tethered but the Marathon is not. Tiffiany (Papooses) posted that she got the ok from Britax to tether her regent installed outboard to the center top tether so when I had a regent, I also called and got the ok. I just made the decision to also tether the Frontier there. I will probably call soon and get the ok for that as well, I don't think they would say yes for the regent and no for the frontier. I am hoping to get one child out of the 3rd row soon so I can move one seat back to the center.

I am always surprised when you post how hard it is to install seats in her van. My Freestar's 3rd row bench has always been a breeze to install seats in, even the radian with seatbelt. Surely, they must have different seats, maybe because of the different year models. I have the capt's chairs so can't comment on the middle row bench.

Are you serious about the Regent? I have only been installing in the center. I wish I had known sooner!!!

This negates any question I was going to ask about regarding leg room in the frontier in the back of the Freestar (mine is an '07). DD1 is on the top slots of her Regent but it is driving me nuts. I'm going to install it outboard and see if it helps the leg room issue caused by the XT.

ETA: Woot! My van seat 5 again until I get my true fit (then it will seat 6!). It also solves the problem of the Regent's recline bar slipping into the bight.

And yeah, I haven't had much problem installing car seats into the 3rd row. I've put a Regent, XT, Scenera, and Como all back there.

It looks like it will work well in your van :)

Last edited:

Tyler'sMom1117

I have an 04 Monterey and while sitting in the 3rd row yesterday discovered that the seatbelt shoulder portion is height adjustable for the 1st and 2nd rows....I was looking at DS who RF (MA with latch) and just glanced up at where the seatbelt attaches to the side and discovered that....I lowered it on the drivers side and now my seatbelt doesn't strangle me as much- I was thinking that might help when I have to install using a seatbelt at 48lbs.

I've had the van for 3 years and just learned this, not always the brightest girl around, took me a year to find the button that opens the sliding doors, the one on the inside of the sliding door panel!:whistle:

:ROTFLMAO:

I have never had problems installing any car seat in my 06 Freestar. I have had a Triumph (older version), a 3 in 1 type seat, Regent, EBK Cofidence, and an Olli.

I never knew that Ford ok'd the use of the center tether for the outside seats. I never used my Regent there, but it would have been nice for a few long trips we took.

Have any of you had problems with your Freestars? I have a lemon.

Splash

Have any of you had problems with your Freestars? I have a lemon.

AJ's is a Monterey, same thing basically. She's had the rear window motors replaced once, the rear windshield replaced from leaking, and the entire transmission and brake system replaced ~45k miles. And people think extended warranties are a waste of money... :whistle:

mum2two

Our 04 Monterey has had no problems! I love it! The captains seats make installs so easy. I had to do one 3rd row install of a MA when a friend and her DD visited, but used was able to use the center latch position. Good to know though if we need to install a seat in the 3rd row outboard to accommodate 2 others in seatbelts in the 3rd row that I can use the center TT. It's always good to learn new things.

Tyler'sMom1117

I have had the radio recplaced..it would just play radomly or sort CD's even when the player wasn't on.

Carpet replaced because of holes where a center console was supposed to go but mine didn't come with a center console.

Missing parts to tighten the roof rack which were ordered.

Missing cover over 1 of the seat belts in the back.

1 tire was replaced because it started to fray.

Doors were radomly not working.

Rear door would not work twice and had to have something replaced so that it would go up when using my remote.

It has died completely twice while driving around 45 mph, only to start up later in the shop. Nothing would show up on their computers because when my van lost power it wouldn't show any code. This was caused from what we think was moisture getting into the power controle module. Since this was replaced I haven't had hardly any electrical problems.

There are more problems but I can't remember them all at the moment. I has been in the shop around 25 times since we bought it brand new. It only has 25,000 miles on it.

I have the extended powertrain warranty, so I am hoping that will cover transmissions. I need to ask. My regular warranty is 3 years or 30,000 miles. That will be up in August so I am hoping we have no more issues. I would sell it but I will lose too much money.

Stretchy Glue

And people think extended warranties are a waste of money... :whistle:

I will never buy a car without one! As soon as the factory warranty was up in the Envoy I had to put a new seat motor in ($800), then a few months later an alternator ($400), then I started having emission problems. That was 4 trips and eventually an entirely new fuel system ($1000) My extended warranty cost $2400. I still have 30,000 miles to go before it's up. I'm sure I can use up $200 by then. With any luck the transmission or motor goes just before the end...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC