Tell me about the Safe Rider Vest Please

Pepse

Yes I am in Canada but thinking about it for future out of country travel.

We just went to Panama for 2 weeks, we were forced to gate check our Radian as there were no empty seats and overhead space was limited. Ok fine, stroller and Radian gate checked. Well somehow the Radian never made it on board, Stroller did.

They offered to send it the following Monday and I said no because who knows where it would be thrown.

So we were car seat less on our trip, we took buses (which had selt belts so this made me even madder), taxis and actually "rented" another couples safeseat for the day.

So this got me thinking about CARES and the Safe Rider Vest which are small and portable.

ANy other ideas??

DD will have her own seat next year, so the Radian with be with us on the plane but just thinking in following years of travel with another baby and such.

Just wondered what you could tell me about the Safe Ride Vest.

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The Ride Safer Travel Vest is great for what you are talking about! It does need a lap belt AND tether OR a lap/shoulder belt with optional tether though - did the bus have shoulder belts?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The RSTV really is perfect for travel, especially taxicabs :) I can't speak for Panama, but most big US cities' taxicabs are new enough to have lap/shoulder belts center.

Also, my local buses with seatbelts (usually lap only belts in the front seats) also have hooks that are used for wheelchairs that I've used for my kid in the RSTV before: really just to see if we could & I was bummed that my cell phone pictures of it were useless, sigh :thumbsdown:

RSTV is not FAA approved. Google Ride Safer Travel Vest & the manufacturer's site has tons of info.

Kat_Momof3

another thing to keep in mind is that the RSTV is only useable for kids at least 35lbs...

now, fortunately, it's easy to find a seat that will get your child to and a little past that for very little money that is lightweight for convenience of travel.

just pick up a Scenera or Avenue (made by Cosco/Safety 1st) and you'll be set.

The problem you had was also caused by not purchasing a ticket for your baby to begin with. I know you don't HAVE to, but you always should in order to guarantee that your child has their own seat.

Once you have bought a seat, you are guaranteed it and you are guaranteed your right to use the approved seat you have with you.

I can only imagine how terrifying it was to have no seat for the times when you needed one and you just don't want to get in that situation again.

I would get one of the seats I mentioned or take the Radian (much heavier and more quirky to install sometimes, but still) until your child is big enough to use the vest... and then you can only take it if you know where you will be going, the cars have the tether anchors and/or shoulderbelts for it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC