Should we just move to a booster?

Amaris

Well, I is on the crotch buckle in the gn, so he's officially outgrown it.:mad: He has so much room left in both height and weight that I hate to stop using it, but if graco says it's outgrown then I'm not comfortable using it. I do still have a regent, but he hates it. He heard dh and I talking yesterday about putting him back in it and he threw a huge fit. Honestly, I am not a big fan of it, either. So, I have the monarch that I could put him in, or back in the regent. He weighs between 42 and 45lbs depending on what time of day it is, and has a 15 inch torso, and is 45 inches tall. I do know he sits well in a booster since we have started booster training in dh's car for short trips.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't. I think the Graco rep who said it's outgrown doesn't know what they're talking about, seeing as SO many other companies say the same thing (your Regent, for one) and they can't make a seat outgrown by crotch depth when he still has 3+ inches and 20+ pounds left in the seat. Piper sits on her strap a bit. And it's so not a big deal to me. I'd rather keep her harnessed than worry about crotch excursion or something. Parental decision, but to me it's not a big deal. It's one rep asked so far who said yes, and reps unfortunately are known for being inconsistent from one another in nearly every company. Unless multiple reps say the same thing, and Graco releases a staement, I wouldn't worry in the least about the crotch unless his sit bones are on it. But if that was the case his entire body would likely be very broad and large and he probably wouldn't be comfortable in the Nautilus anyway.

Wendy

Amaris

I didn't realize only one rep was stating it was outgrown by the crotch strap. Um, I do think that's the first time I've heard of crotch excursion! He loves the seat and I don't really want to move him out of it. He sat in a frontier and said he would rather keep his seat, and that was really my other option.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As I understand it it was one rep. That's one of the questions the techs going to the Lifesavers conference this weekend are going to ask. If it truly is outgrown then we'd need to talk to Learning Curve and Britax and so many others and ask if their seats are also outgrown.

I don't think there's such a thing as crotch excursion. I can't figure out why it would matter if you're slightly sitting on it, though, other than comfort. It's designed to stretch and I'd rather have anything that's about to catch me be very close, rather than inches away.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm with Wendy. I'll also add that a Graco rep told me the harness had to be at or below the shoulders in the Nautilus, even after I asked for clarification :doh: (really basic stuff there: only always at or *above* for FF, of course)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I agree with Wendy and Papooses - just hang tight until we get further clarification from Graco. My DS could be considered to be "on" the furthest crotch strap, and I have no intentions to stop using the seat. :twocents:

Amaris

I trust you guys over the cs reps, so we will continue using the seat unless you officially find out otherwise! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

I'd call Graco and talk to them about it... complain... and from all the loads of pms I've been getting, it's not JUST one rep, I assure you)

but if the kid is comfy and it's not like he's sitting on the buckle itself, then I'd use parental discretion here.

I looked into the issue because so many were complaining... for some, they are choosing to keep using it whether their kid is over it or not... others prefer to get rid of the seat and get something else... for me, it's not even an issue... Ruthie's got plenty of room.

But I tell you now, if she didn't have room, I'd be just as torn on the issue. I'd feel comfortable leaving her in the seat, but like you, I'd also be comfortable moving to a booster.

At over 5, I don't think I'd rush for a frontier or Regent (unless I had one and the child liked the seat).

the fact is that Graco simply dropped the ball on this one... and I also think that we need to have this question brought up at lifesavers... otherwise, I'm gonna be bugging Graco myself until they fix the problem or at least (really all I wanted) clarify the rule in the manual.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I agree with Wendy and Papooses - just hang tight until we get further clarification from Graco. My DS could be considered to be "on" the furthest crotch strap, and I have no intentions to stop using the seat. :twocents:

:yeahthat: Rather than hounding or urging us all to hound Graco customer service reps about this, we all should hang on until after Lifesavers when a more official clarification from Graco should definitely be forthcoming.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes -- let's hope that there will be answers soon. Bugging Graco isn't going to help anything and may make things worse for the few people who actually do have children who have truly outgrown the seat. For now, I would think that ON the strap is fine and I would only be hesitant (pending clarification) if my child's body is actually definitely over the strap -- not close to it, not on it, not approaching it, not measuring clothing or cover slit but actual strap placement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC