Does he need to go backless?(Pics)

Michael had a huge growth spurt in torso this past month. Does he need to go backless in the back of my van?(if he does it would only be when I had daycare kiddos, he fits alot better in the captains chairs-where he would be when it was just us as a family).

Note: he fit great in these awhile ago, to me he doesn't fit well in it. (edited to say: he almost fits perfect in the 3rd row without a booster(stupid kia low seats).

Excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

FPSV(last knotch)- (WAHHH, he is growing so much)
0326090959a.jpg

Here he is sleeping(sitting perfectly upright)-even when he sits straight up the belt goes like this
Parkway
0327091636b.jpg

ADS

Pixels

How does the belt fit without the back? If it's better, then yes he should be backless.

In the first photo, it looks like his left shoulder is lower than his right, like he leaned in for the pic a bit. Is that just an illusion? I'm not happy with the way the belt is almost off the side of his shoulder, but the belt guide still seems like it's quite a bit above his shoulder.

In the second photo, the belt is starting to cut across his neck. If you could, I'd tell you to move it up. As it is, his shoulders are about even with the belt guides, so his time left in that booster (with a back) is very very limited anyway.

tiggercat

He looks like he is sliding sideways in both seats.

I think he has space in the FPSV, but I'd need to see a pic of him centered in the PW to determine that one. He looks like he has slid to the left a fair bit, which is placing the belt up on his neck, not the shoulder. He might still be ok in the PW when sitting correctly.

Maedze

I must admit that I'm totally baffled that he appears to have a half inch of torso growth left in the FSPV but has outgrown the Parkway :confused:

Are you absolutely sure it's at the top setting?

HEVY

Both seats are slanting, the first one looks like it would just fit if it was straight and he was centered. If the second one was straighter and he was centered it looks like he just outgrew it.

They tilt in my 3rd row-BAD! I hate high back boosters in my 3rd row. Low backs don't tilt that well.

He is on the last notch of the FPSV, but has I believe 2 or 3 clicks left on the parkway. I will move it up a notch and see what happens.

Boosters confuse me still and I am not really familar with them still, since he just went into them full-time fall 2008.

I will try to get a better pic of him in it tomorrow.

Kat_Momof3

the fpsv booster requires the shoulder to be below the bottom of the belt guide... it's in the manual (I misplaced it in my underwear drawer... don't ask why I keep it there, but I do.... aka... I just went to look and couldn't find it... I wanted to take a pic of the page that says so for you)... get behind the seat when he's in it... have him lean forward and you grab the headrest and tug... that seat settles, cause of how it adjusts... and you'll want to get max room... then hold it there and have him scootch his bum all the way back and sit up straight.

with the parkway... make sure it's up as far as it will go... with that one, I think (don't quote me) as best I can remember that as long as the belt isn't twisted and it will move smoothly through the belt guide for tightening that you can use it until the shoulder is above the top of the guide.

it doesn't look to me like your parkway is fully raised, though.

here is a shot of Damian way back when with it fully raised (he was using a cosco backless back then and Jeffrey was using the parkway at the time)
DamianPkwy2.jpg

see how much space there is between the upper part of the body wing and the headwing??

he was ready to pop out of it from width, though... and the belt would twist in the guide with it like that... so for my 2nd row (it didn't even fit fully raised in the third row), that was a little past outgrown.

and... just cause I'm an enabler here... have you tried him in a monterey??

Kat,

Thanks for the pic! The parkway still has one or two notches to go still. I am going to try to raise it up one in 3 hours when I go get the daycare girl from school and see how Michael looks in it.

HA! I have looked at the monetary online(LOVE IT), but haven't tried it personally. Personally, he fits the Parkway very nice in the second row(i think-now I am second guessing myself). I need it for my 3rd row when daycare kids are here and need 3-across(right now I don't, but hopefully when I get a new daycare kid-which will be shortly) he needs to be in something thinner.

If he does outgrow these high backs by height in the captain's chair I will get a monetery, because he loves to sleep in the car. I trust a Low back because of the crash testings on my van(kia sedona), but not if he falls asleep.

Maedze

I think because of how the belt guide in the PW angles out, you'll get a better shoulder belt fit by raising it up a notch :)

Kat_Momof3

for 3 across in the third row... it may just be time to put one of the other kids in a RSTV.

The Monterey fits suprisingly well in my third row (longer than the parkway... don't know why... every booster is different, but not ALL the way, of course), and I could probably fit 2 if I had a kid in between who was skinny and in a RSTV

Ok what do you think?

Sorry, stupid cell phone pics! I can't seem to find my camera

Parkway on the notch he should be on(up from the one pictured above)-this pic is too dark sorry
0330091047a.jpg

Parkway all the way up(see the growing room)
0330091046b.jpg

FPSV in the captain's Chair (highest setting-next setting down is too small)
0330091051b.jpg

ginny4

See where the belt lies against his neck?

oh ok. so what if you lowered the headrest on the parkway. would that move the belt away from his neck a bit?

FP booster doesn't look too terrible tho it might be a lil too much sliding off the shoulder. what if he never moves a muscle. will that work? LOL

i'm sorry i'm not too helpful

mommycat

Would using a LB booster even move the belt further away from his neck? It's starting up so high on the side of the van, you would think not having the belt guides would be worse. :confused: I am not very booster-wise, though.

Do you have any flexibility with where the booster sits on the van seats? If you can slide the whole booster over as close as it will go towards the buckle, it might change the angles a bit.

The booster is as close as it can to the buckle. I have tried it in the middle-where the belt fits better, but it is so tippy.

I will take a pic of him in the backless of a turbo and FPSV when I am feeling a little better-just found out I have strep for the 6th time since December. Ughhh

Kat_Momof3

the parkway obviously gives him tons of room still... and it fits fine, so I wouldn't switch him.

And the FPSV booster still looks like there is a good inch left... so no rush.

when he outgrows the FP, you can use it backless, but use the parkway as the primary ride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC