Monterrey or other booster for smaller 6.5 year old?

mom2RyErinBaby

Hi, I was set on getting a Monterrey for my six and a half year, but have read that it might be too heavy/tippy since we don't have latch.

My ds is six and half, but fairly short and about 44 pounds. He sits great in a booster, so I'm ready to go full time to one. We have a vivo that we've been using in the car he rides in least. He likes it around town, but last weekend let him use it for a 2 hour trip, and he complained that it wasn't cushy. He's used to marathons. So I was set on a Monterrey, but now, I'm not sure? Any advice???
Thanks
Megan

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What is your vehicle year, make, model?

I haven't experienced tipping with the Monterey in the LATCH-less vehicles we've ridden in, but we definitely used to have tipping problems in the Parkway.

Maggie

I don't have my Monterey LATCH'ed in and it's fine. DD climbs in and out herself and it never moves.

She :love: it! She said is super comfy and can't wait to get in it.

mams99

I have a question about latch and car seats - something I've never thought of but this post made me think about it.

We never had latch as our cars were too old, but our new car does have latch. My son is too big to use it now (he's 52 lbs), but can't you use latch on a booster seat to keep it in place when not in use and then just keep it latched when it is in use? Along with using the seat belt?

Maybe that's a dumb question, but it's something I've never thought about. Right now with either the Britax Decathlon or the safeguard Go we don't use latch because of DS's size, but now I'm wondering WHY you can't do both?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We never had latch as our cars were too old, but our new car does have latch. My son is too big to use it now (he's 52 lbs), but can't you use latch on a booster seat to keep it in place when not in use and then just keep it latched when it is in use? Along with using the seat belt?

Depends on the booster. Some yes, some no.

Maybe that's a dumb question, but it's something I've never thought about. Right now with either the Britax Decathlon or the safeguard Go we don't use latch because of DS's size, but now I'm wondering WHY you can't do both?

You can use the Go up to 60 pounds with LATCH, actually. It's so light of a seat that it is allowed up to the full 60 pounds. The Decathlon has a 48 pound limit.

Some boosters are designed to move with the child in a collision. If you hold them back they may fail somehow (cracking and then the child rebounds back on it, for instance). If they're allowed then they've been tested that way and it's ok.

Wendy

mom2RyErinBaby

Thanks for the replys. We have an '00 Honda Odyssey. Right now we plan to put the booster in the back.

The vivo is really "cushier" than the monterrey? He complained it wasn't comfy on our long trip. What about the turbo boosters with gracopedic foam?
Thanks
Megan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC