Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Would you buy a TF to get 5 more lbs rfing?

My daughter is about to turn 3. She's 29 lbs on a chubby day but 36" tall and sits rear-facing in a Wizard, a Marathon and a Radian, depending on the car she's in. Her height comes totally from her legs. A recent growth spurt is making it increasingly hard to buckle her into my Marathon -- plus, the last couple of days especially, the wide part of the top of the buckle is digging into her thighs because her legs are so darned long.

I really want to keep her rear-facing for at least 6 more months, but not if the seats are causing her pain. Would you invest in a True Fit at this point or just (sigh) flip her around?

Or, do you have any suggestions for getting a little more legroom out of these seats? My Marathon is as upright as it can safely go.

I welcome and all suggestions!!!!
    Liz, CPST and mom to big V, 8 and little V, 4.5
    Big V = Monterey, Booster Elite Air 80
    little V = FFing in Monkey Foonf and Pioneer

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Would you buy a TF to get 5 more lbs rfing?

Well, I did buy a TF to get 5 more lbs rfing, but for a much younger kiddo, since DS was around 29-ish pounds at 12 months (!) and our (Canadian) Marathon only went to 30lbs. He's just this week hit the 35lb mark fully clothed, so I turned his seat FF on Tuesday, although he hasn't ridden FF yet since we only take the car on weekends. So, in our case it made the difference of having to FF at "just barely one" versus "almost two" - definitely worth it.

Would I buy one for a 3 year old? Personally, probably not, unless I had younger kids to pass it down to - but then, my view may be skewed by the fact that DS has always been huge and we were lucky to even get him close to two RFing (since the TF was the only 35lb RF seat in Canada at the time).

We are super happy with the seat (other than the well-known PITA of the buried harness adjuster RF, but it's not that huge a deal) and it seems much roomier and more comfy than the Marathon we had before.
    Lori, mum to:
    Duncan (July 6/07): 43.5", 42lbs, FFing in a True Fit

I did - for my almost 2˝ yr old.
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

If I wanted to keep her RF for another 6 months and a seat existed that would allow me to do that, yes I would get it. If funds were tight, I'd sell one of the other seats to help out with the cost.

My DD is a few months younger than yours, and about the same weight and height. If she didn't already have a True Fit, but instead had a 30 pound RF seat, I would be out buying the True Fit right now. And I'd do the same if she was a few months older and turning 3.

CPS Advocate

*I* would, but it certainly wouldn't be wrong for a an almost 3 and 30 child to forward face.

At 3 years old, *I* wouldn't, but that's just me. I had actually already turned DS around by that age when he was around 30lbs.
    Daniele
    dd1 born/died 4/30/03
    ds1 11yo and 5 stepping it
    dd2 8yo and riding in a Parkway SGL
    ds2 4yo and riding in a Frontier CT and a Tranzitions

What about the new Graco seat whose name is eluding me at this moment? Maybe you should give that a whirl. Then it would be 10 lbs, possibly, if there's enough height.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

The Graco MyRide you mean ...Yes, 40 lbs RF...NICCE Although, its not out yet, BOO!

Yes, that's it! I thought someone had it and it was available at walmart.com?DIdn't I see a pic on here of someone putting in their car? Perhaps I'm confused with something else.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Thanks for the reassurance -- guess what's on it's way to my house right now??

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3115459

I thought about the My Ride, but it looks like it doesn't have any/much more legroom than the Marathon. We know for sure that the True Fit does, so it feels like the right choice. I don't know if it'll fit RFing behind the driver's seat in my Mazda 3 so we may have to flip her around when baby #2 arrives in November. But those extra 6 months of RFing are totally worth it.
    Liz, CPST and mom to big V, 8 and little V, 4.5
    Big V = Monterey, Booster Elite Air 80
    little V = FFing in Monkey Foonf and Pioneer

Congratulations. I covet a TF, but have no room for it. Actually, are you sure you shouldn't get both so you can compare?
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Thats exactly what I ordered yesterday from BRU too! I just couldnt resist! I ordered mine yesterday and I got the shipment notification about 24 later today. Not bad

CPS Advocate

congrats

Yep, I would. I bought our True Fit when Riley and Rayn were both 31lbs. He was 22 months and she was 37 months at the time. They lasted 3 months before they both outgrew it by weight.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

Quote Originally Posted by liz2d2 View Post

I thought about the My Ride, but it looks like it doesn't have any/much more legroom than the Marathon. We know for sure that the True Fit does.
    Congrats on your choice of the TF! I do want to mention that in quite a few pics it *does* look like the new MR gives more legroom than the MA. I was able to check out the MR at my BRU this week (in-store!) and it had mega legroom, IMO. But the TF is an awesome seat too! I keep wanting a Monet for my DD
    Ruth--Mommy to 4: Dominic, 10; Jacob, 8; Joy, 6, Gloria, 3.5. My babies are growing up!