So should I rule out the GN?

Shaunam

I haven't kept up on the crotch strap issue so if someone could explain it to me that would be great. Is it just some seats that have the short depth or all of them?

Should I rule it out completely for DS? I was just going to pick him up an apex at big lots, but my car quit so I'm using the old tempo which has NO headrests so scratch that. :thumbsdown:

ADS

NannyMom

Have you tried him in it yet? Some kids have issues, some don't. J has been fine. He's getting close to being on the crotch strap, but he's also close to outgrowing the harness as well.

mommaon112903

Josef was going to out-grow the harness in height before his sixth b-day, and he was one of the ones that Graco said not for it to be used in harness mode any longer.

I still have a love/hate relationship with the GN.

christineka

I'd try your ds in the seat. Mine is 6 yo, 45 pounds, and has room at the crotch. I sympathize with the tempo. That's our car too. It is slowly falling apart.

Evolily

Aside from the crotch strap issue, which is probably false hysteria, the GN is great. I would try it out first, if he has room in the crotch strap I would have no problem buying it and waiting to see if/when there policy changes in the next few months. Especially since they are excepting returns.

Shaunam

Ok. that makes me feel better. I thought I'd try him in the seat at walmart and if he fit order it online and then get some weird one that had a shorter depth. LOL So if it's just that ALL of them are short and some kids don't fit, that's easy enough to figure out. He has SUCH a small frame I can't imagine it would be a problem. He's still like an inch behind the EFTA strap on the closer setting.

I'm not sure what to do if he doesn't fit though...we're on a really tight budget.

NannyMom

Ok. that makes me feel better. I thought I'd try him in the seat at walmart and if he fit order it online and then get some weird one that had a shorter depth. LOL So if it's just that ALL of them are short and some kids don't fit, that's easy enough to figure out. He has SUCH a small frame I can't imagine it would be a problem. He's still like an inch behind the EFTA strap on the closer setting.

I'm not sure what to do if he doesn't fit though...we're on a really tight budget.

I bet he'll be fine. But..... how about a tech radian?

Shaunam

I bet he'll be fine. But..... how about a tech radian?

We already have a radian. I honestly cannot stand the seat. I know lots of people love but I just can't. I've tried. I still use it for DD at times, but the darn thing will not install properly in the tempo. I got a barely acceptable install in the mazda. But I dislike it for other reasons. I may put it in my mom's car or something...I don't know. His main car seat needs to be a little more friendly for me. ;)

NannyMom

We already have a radian. I honestly cannot stand the seat. I know lots of people love but I just can't. I've tried. I still use it for DD at times, but the darn thing will not install properly in the tempo. I got a barely acceptable install in the mazda. But I dislike it for other reasons. I may put it in my mom's car or something...I don't know. His main car seat needs to be a little more friendly for me. ;)

I knew you had one. I just figured DS needed a new seat cuz the Radian is being used for DD :)

Just hope the GN works :)

Shaunam

I knew you had one. I just figured DS needed a new seat cuz the Radian is being used for DD :)

Just hope the GN works :)

I mostly just switch the EFTA between the two of them, since I rarely drive them anywhere together. When I do, usually DD rides in the radian and DS rides in the EFTA. I would love to just get another EFTA, but he wouldn't last very long in it. I use the radian for when he rides with other people...it installs well in my mom's van and my mil's car.

I don't know, part of me says to just get something that lasts the year because he does fine in a booster and I'll be fine with it by the time he's 5. We still have the regent too, but it doesn't install well in the tempo either and his dad is dead set on that being his main seat once he gets his own car.

I'm actually considering the true fit since it could be passed down to DD. What's the cheapest price I can get it? Anyone know?

NannyMom

I mostly just switch the EFTA between the two of them, since I rarely drive them anywhere together. When I do, usually DD rides in the radian and DS rides in the EFTA. I would love to just get another EFTA, but he wouldn't last very long in it. I use the radian for when he rides with other people...it installs well in my mom's van and my mil's car.

I don't know, part of me says to just get something that lasts the year because he does fine in a booster and I'll be fine with it by the time he's 5. We still have the regent too, but it doesn't install well in the tempo either and his dad is dead set on that being his main seat once he gets his own car.

I'm actually considering the true fit since it could be passed down to DD. What's the cheapest price I can get it? Anyone know?

The TF has been discussion lately in the Shopping and deals forum. I think the lowest is $174 with possibly 10% off code.

SarahLong

Graco is accepting returns on the Nautilus because of the crotch strap depth? I didn't know about this. Avery is only 19mos old and is already even with the furthest crotch strap position. Can someone give me the info about this return?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Graco MAY accept returns if the child has truly outgrown the seat, although it would (IMO, of course) be wisest to wait and see, as they very well may clarify after Lifesavers.

SarahLong

IMO, even if it is considered okay for her to be over the crotch strap, she is only 19mos old. If at 19mos she is already even with it, she is going to be WAY over it at say, 4yrs, and that will not be comfortable, at all.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm not disagreeing with that: I'm just stating that at this point, refunds are iffy, and only for children who have truly outgrown the seat, not children who might later outgrow it or feel squished in it. I also expect, based on information from other techs, that Graco will soon clarify their policy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC