Keyfit or safeseat

love-pink

Well were finally having a new baby!!! I'm due in late october. We have a safeseat but now I'm really interested in the keyfit 30. Any one have a prefence?? Or any experiences with fabrics for it?? And how does it compare as far as weight of the seat??

I like the safe seat for longevity but get anxious around a year to switch to our ma rf of course so I don't think ill use it longer than a year, not to mention all the cover choices!! Also I want to get a mosaic stroller this time would it fit with that?? I definetly don't want a travel system with a bulky stroller.
Thanks for your help :D

ADS

Kat_Momof3

for people not as good about installing and using carseats, the keyfit 30 is a little more user friendly, so I prefer it for them.

for preemies - definitely chicco

for everyone else - I prefer the Safeseat

it is longer, bigger, holds babies longer, and is less expensive.

It is easy to use and install, it's just a few things that make it LESS easy (chest clip, big crotch buckle on little baby, the loops for the shoulder strap and the loops for the hip straps that you need to know about in order to extend them when baby gets bigger to have plenty of strap for grow room, no center-pull latch adjuster, things like that)

if it were me getting an infant seat (and that's a big if as I'd probably just start with a convertible unless I had a winter baby or an overwhelming urge to have one for some reason) and I wanted one of those two, I'd opt for the Graco hands down.

but then I breed them big with long torsos... so that says a lot about my carseat choices.

Also, when it comes to spending cash, I like to preserve the funds for the seats my kids will use longer.

I'd be very tempted to pick up a decent Designer 22/Starter Infant Seat made by Cosco/Safety 1st for 80 bucks (it fits smaller babies well, too) and preserve funds for a nice Truefit/Truefit ARB, EFTA, or Radian.

Heck (SHHHH) I might even use an evenflo infant seat simply because I know I could and would use it AND install it properly every time (at least they have eps foam and front harness adjusters available now) or even (GASP) a rear-adjust snugride... for same reasons.

but this comes from a woman who still has only used a front-adjust harness infant seat on kids that aren't my own and the number of those times fits on one hand.

love-pink

Thanks! I was looking at the covers for the keyfit and came across the bella cover. Does it only come as a travel system??

steph

I love the keyfit. It may not last quite as long but I really like it more. The construction of the seat, the chest clip and the easy harness and the amazingly easy install (Safeseat is easy too). Just IMO the Keyfit is a little bit better. Safeseat is a good choice though too.

glockchick

I've never tried a ss, but I love our KF. DS is 13 months and still fits with an inch or so torso height to grow. I like how it's smaller than the Graco. This mattered for us because we have 3 across in 2 rows so it had to be small.

I can sit it in my Mac Quest and use it like a travel system. It doesn't click in of course, but it does sit far enough back in the stroller that I've never been concerned about it falling out.

Mommy0608

Hi Tonya! Just wanted to chime in with a big ol' CONGRATULATIONS! :love: I was just thinking about you the other day, haven't seen you on the board lately. Hope you're doing well!

As for your question, I have the SafeSeat (of course, you saw it), and I do love it. I have never owned a KF30, so I can't really compare. You've gotten some great tips for choosing which to use though.

Let me know if you'd like some help arranging the seats. ;)

daniele_ut

Congratulations! My Ds has an October birthday and it's such a fun time to have a baby! Christmas that year was really special!

We have a KeyFit30 and we've loved it. I agonized over the Safeseat vs. Keyfit and posted here several times about it. It came down to the fact that dh really liked the look of the KeyFit better and it was just a touch smaller. At the time we owned cars that both had small back seats. We did end up buying a newer car right before dd was born and the Safeseat would have been fine, but dd is so petite that the KeyFit has worked out really, really well. She's 14 months old and around 17 pounds with a lot of headroom left. I'll probably end up switching her out to the RF MAs as soon as I'm sure we're done with the snow and cold here. I've also been hoping she will decide to walk soon, lol!

Like a pp, I have used it a few times as a "travel system" with my Mac stroller. Mine is a Techno, though, and it slides in there really securely.

jsta1005

I don't have a Keyfit but was thinking about getting one (instead of another SS1... I'm sending my SS1 back). I took the baby to BRU and tried him in it. At 4 months he has almost outgrown it in height. He also looked squished in the Keyfit because of how narrow it is. So if you have itty bitty babies I would def go for the Keyfit. But if you have bigger ones the SS1. I love my SS1 and it just seems comfy for the baby! and i like that the canopy on the SS1 rotates all the way around where as the Keyfit only covers a small amount of baby.

and I like to have seats that go together... and since you have your Nautili and Turbo... I would choose the SS1 to have all Graco seats! But that is just me!

Maedze

I owned a SafeSeat for Bean the Third. It's a really nice seat. I would recommend it to anyone :)

That being said, if I, by some act of supernatural power and supreme jerkiness, got pregnant again, I would buy a Keyfit :whistle:

love-pink

Thanks again for all your help!! I'm going to go with the keyfit. I really like the fuego cover but what material is it?? And anyone had any expeirence with the different covers the kf comes in??
And also keep a look out on the swap board I posted all my safeseat covers!!! Hopefully I can fund the kf.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC