Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

booster seat weight important?

My grandaughter, who is in our van several times a week, is almost 5 years old - 33 lbs. and 40+ inches. Her parents just got a new Volvo with a built in booster seat, which she loves. She would like to be sitting in a booster seat in our car also, although she could stay in her car seat for quite a while yet. I like the Clek Olli backless booster, but the suggested limits start at 40 inches and 40 pounds. Isn't the height most important in a booster because of seat belt angles? Should I consider a different booster instead?
    Thanks for any info.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: booster seat weight important?

What seat is she in in your car? At five years and 33 pounds I'd be very wary of ANY booster. She's so little submarining (going under the seatbelt) is a risk. A child that petite needs a well fitting booster, and I wouldn't use one full time (my daughter was 32 pounds at five years, so I'm speaking from experience here). I certainly would NOT use a backless for any five year old. Not unless you're talking about a mile in your car once a week.

I'd probably just leave her in the five point harness in your car, provided she fits in it properly. It's safer for a child of her size. We don't recommend boosters full time here until close to six years AND 40 pounds. We'd encourage her parents to put her back in a five point harness, and ask what seat she was in (keep in mind that a built in seat means should their car break down they haven't got anything to put in a rental or a friend's car, so we generally don't recommend built in seats as your only seat, plus they're all backless) or what their budget was for a new seat.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I agree that it's important to abide by the weight limits on boosters. Children who are too small for a booster can slip under the lap belt, which is obviously quite dangerous. I also agree that a 4yo, or even a 5yo, should be in at least a highbacked booster -- backless boosters are intended for children who have outgrown highbacked boosters, and your granddaughter hasn't even really grown *into* a highbacked booster.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPS Advocate

I agree...at her weight and age, not only would I not even consider a backless, I'd have her in a harnessed seat.

CPS Technician

At 33 lbs, your GD is at the bare minimum for using Volvo's booster. Most high back boosters have a 30lb minimum so again, she's barely makes the size range.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/campaign...-12-years.aspx

Just as important as height & weight, behavior and maturity are issues for booster use. Using a booster requires a child to remain upright and with the seat belt correctly positioned (no moving around, leaning over, or falling asleep and leaning to the side) for the entire trip.

Remember also that every step in child restraint use is actually a step DOWN in the child's safety and protection.

As long as she still fits in the seat you are using, there's no reason to consider a booster. What are you using now?

If she is nearing the upper limits of your seat, there are many readily available options for taller/heavier children to continue to ride in a 5 pt harness. Most of these seats can be used as a booster after the harness has been outgrown.