has anyone used the Ride Safer Travel Vest?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have many users here who have used the RSTV, usually for travel or occasional rides in friends' cars, taxis, etc.

In fact, I just bought one. :D

It is absolutely safe, it tests pretty much like a 5-point and distributes the crash forces like one (rather than like a booster.)

If the child fits (appropriate age/weight/height), the vest is not for every day use (it would probably be cumbersome for everyday use, but is great for occasional use) and if the position has either a lap/shoulder belt or a lap belt with tether, then yes, it is a safe and appropriate choice. :)

Otherwise, she may have other options (such as removing the bases on the AEs and putting a Radian in the middle, or something else, depending on what is needed, etc.)

We have an RSTV that we use for carpooling. While I wouldn't choose it as my child's primary seat (it's a bit more cumbersome to use and doesn't have any side impact protection like my kids' Parkway boosters and probably wouldn't be as cozy for napping in the car as the Parkway is), it is definitely a great occasional-use-in-tight-spots restraint, particularly if you have a car that has a narrow back seat and a center lap-only belt like I have in my 1997 Honda Civic. It takes up hardly any space in the car so I can just leave it tethered between my girls' HBB's in the back of my Civic so it's always there if we need it, whether we're driving another booster-age child, or if we have to fit in another adult (in which case one booster goes into the trunk, my DD's buckle up in the other booster and the RSTV, and the adult gets the other lap/shoulder belt spot.) We bought ours last August and have definitely got our money's worth out of it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I like our RSTV and it's a good option for your friend, but I'd hate to use it every day. I have used it every day and groan at it. But I love it for occasional or travel use. Like yesterday when I test drove a car. I just brought her RSTV with us and not only was it safe and easier than switching her Nautilus, she was able to give me a review on sitting on the backseat (the Honda Insight has a rock hard backseat she said, and I sat my bum in it in and agreed).

Wendy

kelsy

ok, i have a better idea of what she is planning now.

The vests would be for her almost 7 year old and her 5 year old. they would be outboard in her 3rd row with her 2 year old in the middle in either a radian or britax.

from what you guys are saying, the vest seem too cumbersome for everyday use. what would you suggest for her in lieu of them?

she needs 3 across in her van. what are the narrowest boosters out there?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd probably try three Radians first, especially if the seven year old fits and the 2 year old is rear facing.

They would work for her. We don't want to say they wouldn't. But It's annoying to use day in and day out, and it'd be twice as annoying for her. There's no way a child can get themselves buckled into a RSTV completely. Piper can do the lower portion, but she can't see the shoulder to do it, and there are six tongs to get under.

Wendy

kelsy

so there are no skinny boosters i could recommend to her? i know nothing about boosters since we havent reached that stage yet.

i will definitely mention the radians.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What is the vehicle year, make, model?

We *love* our RSTV because we're a public transportation/pedestrian/carpool/carshare family that travels to visit family. It's perfect for travel because kid can wear it under their jackets while walking around (although my kid does this only when the temp. is not too high: she sweats a lot in the RSTV). The RSTV has also been the only possible safe enough solution to some older vehicles.

However, I prefer never to use it outboard even with rear side curtain airbags. It offers zero side impact protection. :twocents: It's ideal for lap-only belts, though. Assuming there's a top tether anchor & adequate vehicle head support up to at least eye level.

I myself would consider the RSTV center between Scenera & Radian or Turbobooster. Scenera is RF, yes? That should go outboard (I usually like it on the driver side, but it's totally a matter of personal ease of use preference). If the 5 yar old is in the Radian on the opposite side then the 7 yr old cwould use the RSTV in between (7 yr old could then help the youngest). If the 5 yr old is in the RSTV then the 7 yr old would use the Turbo outboard opposite the Scenera.

kelsy

i dont know the year. but she has a mercury villager van.

thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!! i passed them on to her. let me know if there are any other suggestions since she has a while before she has to make a final decision :D

thanks again!
kelsy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC