Big kids in TF?

Pixels

Has anyone had a bigger kid in the TF, like almost outgrowing it? How was the harness strap length? I was playing with it in the store today, and didn't have a child to try it with, but it seemed like the harness strap was a lot shorter than on all the other seats.

ADS

NannyMom

I put J and A in the TF when I was playing at BRU, and installed it in my van. I don't remember how A was with the harness, other than being over the top slots. J was just under the top slots and I don't think we had any extra harness to loosen or tighten. If we did, it was only about an inch. He was 5 years (at least 5.5, but not sure on exacts) and 46 pounds.

Splash

Charlie had enough room left in the harness (length of webbing) but NO crotch room at 3.5 years old. NONE. He was almost sitting on the buckle itself. It's so shallow and SO short, that it was painful to him, but he loved the seat otherwise. I loved the seat. It's a fab seat and if that crotch strap was an inch longer, I never would have gotten rid of them.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
DD can fit with room to spare....less than an inch, but she's got room. She is almost even with the second to top slots on the nauti and is 41 lbs.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

This was sitting in the house but her is my DD at 10 yrs in a True Fit just sitting in it so you can see the overall size of the seat. She is 54" tall and 52 lbs.

Last edited:

arly1983

Here you go!

(I love it when I take pics that would seem crazy to most people but come in handy later :D)

THis was in June, he was 3.5, 41 lbs, and I *think* 44-45 inches. Yes it did seem short. No idea if it would be a problem. He was about an inch over the second from the top slots so harness was int he top slot position. Installed in an 04 Ford Freestart. There, I think that is all the information anyone could possibly want, LOL.

Picture610.jpg

Picture612.jpg

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
With dd we were still using the shorter set of harness loops and she had about 1" of torso growth room left. She's in the Nautilus now and pretty much even with the 2nd from top slots. (Switched just a couple weeks ago.)

So nope, no problem with too short a harness here. She's almost 40lbs, so on the skinny side. I could see a kid with really chubby thighs having less harness length, but it would probably still be adequate since we had the harness on the shorter loops.

arly1983

With dd we were still using the shorter set of harness loops and she had about 1" of torso growth room left.

Then if there were two sets of loops to the harness, mine where on whichever sets of loops it comes out of the box on. I took this seat right out of the box, installed it, decided not to keep it, and put it right back in the box. So harness length is probably more than I have pictured.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Then if there were two sets of loops to the harness, mine where on whichever sets of loops it comes out of the box on. I took this seat right out of the box, installed it, decided not to keep it, and put it right back in the box. So harness length is probably more than I have pictured.

It comes on the longer set. I shortened mine because of where the splitter plate was hitting on the shell when it was rf'ing - it was sitting right on the bend and preventing me from getting the last little bit of slack out. We didn't need the extra length when she went ff'ing, so I just left it on the shorter loops. :)

Pixels

I wonder which set of loops it was on. I didn't realize it had double loops. My gut says it's how it came out of the box, even though it's been on display probably since Target started carrying the TF. I know if I go in there, play, and change things, everything will be exactly the same the next time I go back, even if it's weeks later.

Rhetorical question: Why does my Target have the TF on display still, if they don't have any to sell? They've been gone since Target clearanced them to make room for the Symphony (which my Target has, both on display and on the shelf to buy).

Kat_Momof3

where did you get that cool TF cover??? I've never seen that one!

it's not an available cover... so far... it was on a prototype seat that was stolen from the company at ABC and sold to the poster via ebay... and she immediately contacted them upon receiving the seat and helped them take action against the seller and sent the seat back to the company.

They rewarded her with her money back AND a free Truefit.

heyruthie

it's not an available cover... so far... it was on a prototype seat that was stolen from the company at ABC and sold to the poster via ebay... and she immediately contacted them upon receiving the seat and helped them take action against the seller and sent the seat back to the company.

They rewarded her with her money back AND a free Truefit.

Bizarre story! Stupid theif! Gutsy Mom to spend the $$$ and time to buy a stolen seat on eBay!

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Bizarre story! Stupid theif! Gutsy Mom to spend the $$$ and time to buy a stolen seat on eBay!

When I bought it on Ebay I didn't know it was stolen. When I received it there was a big sticker on the back that said Prototype, return to ..... The seller didn't disclose that it was a Prototype.

I sooo wanted to keep it but not knowing if it was safe, called Learning Curve, found out it was stolen and returned it to them.

They were gracious enough to refund me my total purchase, plus send me a free Sporty Blue True Fit and a spare Misty Morning cover.

They were awesome. :love:

heyruthie

When I bought it on Ebay I didn't know it was stolen. When I received it there was a big sticker on the back that said Prototype, return to ..... The seller didn't disclose that it was a Prototype.

I sooo wanted to keep it but not knowing if it was safe, called Learning Curve, found out it was stolen and returned it to them.

They were gracious enough to refund me my total purchase, plus send me a free Sporty Blue True Fit and a spare Misty Morning cover.

They were awesome. :love:

Ahhhh! Now I gotcha! Great story! I'm so glad the company honored YOUR honesty!!! Now you're an awesome spokesperson for them, too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC