Buying high quality fabric...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
So, Roman is extremely sensitive to the texture of fabric. He is also extremely skinny. This means that 95% of the clothing out there doesn't fit him, and 95% of the clothing that does fit bothers him because it's "itchy." In the past, I've been able to find enough for him to get by, but this year, things don't seem to be working out. Aside from some $35 sweat pants (for an EIGHT YEAR OLD) that don't even fit great, I haven't found any pants for him at all. Fine, I thought. I'll make some for him myself.

That opened up a whole new can o' worms. It seems that no one sells the right kind of fabric, either. Lands End and Hanna Andersson both have soft sweatie material that is actually a type of french terry. I can't find nice french terry anywhere. They also both sell super soft long sleeved t-shirts made with yarn dyed cotton. I can't find soft, combed cotton, yarn dyed jersey, either. This is mind boggling to me.

So, if you were looking for high quality, 100% cotton fabrics, where would you go? I'm especially wanting to replicate:And, if I could find some nice combed cotton jersey prints to make dresses for the girls, that would be cool, too.

ADS

threerugratz

I don't have an answer to your question but wanted to tell you you aren't alone. I sympathize with your predicament. My 7 yr old is under 40lbs, skinny, and very sensitive to the feel of clothing as far as texture and tightness/looseness etc. It is so difficult to find him clothes. I've dealt with the skinny part already with my other two but throwing in texture and more in-depth fit issues makes it even harder.

He has to have adjustable waist usually as the waist is too big if the pants are long enough. He doesn't care for jeans as they squeeze his waist and bunch uncomfortably. He doesn't like the feel of fleecy clothes usually. Underwear and socks are also issues. He wears one pair of shoes all the time.

I don't sew so making something myself is not an option. I hope you find what you need and that both of our kids outgrow their clothing sensitivities.

lovinwaves

I don't know if this is of any help, but I just purchased some sweatpants from Old Navy for my 11mth old. I know it's Old Navy and my little man isn't 8 years old, but I could not believe how incredibly soft these pants were. I'm sure they were just cotton, but oh my gosh they were incredibly soft. And they stayed that way wash after wash. They were especially soft on the inside.

Simplysomething

Yeah, from what I understand, it is difficult to find good fabric to make clothing out of anymore.

Shoot, there aren't even any fabric stores around me anymore (walmart carries fabric,...but um, yeah.)

I don't sew though.

However, I followed your links ..and lol'd a bit at the striped leggings on the girls (because it reminded me of 1980's strawberry shortcake. lol)...and then looked at the boy baby stuff... And I'm completely in love with this stuff. lol Especcially the striped ones. lol

(I do, I love babies in stripes...)

Michi

I have recently lucked out and found LOADS of Land's End dresses and boys shirts at our local Goodwill!
Many of them still had tags on! ( We have a Land's End outlet nearby, and I think their 'leftovers' go to Goodwill.)
I have also found several Hannah Andersen dresses at Goodwill.
You might want to check out your local Goodwill (???)

Good Luck!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Children's Place, Oshkosh and Carter outlets are places I've shopped for my skinny nephews. They both prefer knit pants & shorts to jeans.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I haven't been fabric shopping since Leila was in cloth diapers :eek: but I wanted to comment on Michi's post about Goodwill -- up here in the more rural area of NYS there isn't much selection for quality used clothes, but it's sometimes worth the 4+ hour drive for us to go to Long Island because we've actually found cashmere, etc. there for $5 !

melaniev

i have no advice but wanted to sympathize. my 10yo is the same way - severe sensory integration disorder (along with TS). she is in therapy for it but we're not able to see the OT as often as we should. :(
she wont even wear homemade clothes though, because the seems bother her - ahhhhh!!!

we have eliminated everything except cotton and waistbands must be elastic. shes in the 40%-ile for height and below the charts for weight (<5%). does your son also have the sensitivity to food?

Michi

My DS won't wear anything with metal on it: buckles, snaps, zippers, etc.
It is very hard to find pants for him, (especially dress/church pants.)
Aside from Goodwill, I like Old Navy and Carters. ( Especially if you have outlets nearby!)

UlrikeDG

I have recently lucked out and found LOADS of Land's End dresses and boys shirts at our local Goodwill!

Sears here sells Lands End, and I've found some FANTASTIC deals on LE dresses for my girls on their clearance rack. Of course, there's no guarantee they'll have the size/style you want by that point, but the prices were amazing.

Unfortunately, LE doesn't have the "right" kind of pants for Roman this year. :rolleyes:

UlrikeDG

Children's Place, Oshkosh and Carter outlets are places I've shopped for my skinny nephews. They both prefer knit pants & shorts to jeans.

Children's Place does have one pant style that Roman likes. I *think* they're on sale for $10 right now. He just grew, however, so whether they'll fit is up in the air. I plan to check it out tomorrow. Cross your fingers. ;)

UlrikeDG

Thanks. I'll check the phone book and see which, if any, of the suburbs here have Goodwill stores.

UlrikeDG

I found some amazing Carter's pants that he would have loved at Kohl's last month. Unfortunately, they only went up to size 6. My son is TALL, and needs at least an 8 for length.

I haven't really found anything good at Old Navy, but I'll swing by when I check out Children's Place tomorrow. They're across the hall from each other at the mall. :)

UlrikeDG

The clothing thing really is his only issue. He had a reaction to milk when my MIL gave it to him this year (eczema), but Nadia's allergic to milk so I don't usually give it to the kids anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC