Question Questions-seat choices for 2009 Odyssey

acoro

I am a new member and have been pouring through the fantastic info on the forums. I am in the process of getting new seats for my 4 year old (~40 lbs) and 10 month old (~20 lbs). We just bought a 2009 Honda Odyssey and I am looking to get a Nautilus for the 4 yo and a True Fit for the baby. Seeing the posts here have made me lean towards these two seats instead of Frontier and Marathon. I believe I won't be compromising safety but saving on price. I am wondering how compatible these seats will be with the van but also how flexible my seating options will be with additional adult passengers (delivery of van isn't until next week). Would I be better off getting a Radian (use RF) to save space width wise when I need to use all 8 seats? I am afraid of the amount of space the Radian will take up RF. Are there slimmer harness/booster combos then Nautilus?

Any comments advice would be appreciated. Also are there any additional tether points in the Odyssey for forward facing seats other than UAS/LATCH?

Many thanks for your time.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Great choices--and you shouldn't have any install problems at all...

On the TA front--which additional locations did you need TAs? You have them in every seating position except your PlusOne.. The PlusOne isn't really a great place to install a carseat, anyways...so you're not missing out on that one :)

You honestly cannot use the PlusOne except for a tiny adult or tall skinny teen or pre-teen. The whole concept of having 8 seating positions is a bit misleading with the Odyssey.. If you want extra adults in the vehicle, you'll likely want to shift seats into the rear and use your second row for the adults... There's lots of space for RF seats in either row, IME, especially for an older RF child such as yours.

-Nicole.

acoro

Thanks! That is what I figured (re tethers). I just wanted to hear it from someone with experience! The wonderful thing about this forum is the great advice from experienced and qualified people such as yourself. We actually bought the Touring model (which I believe you have as well) so I know your experience will be invaluable to me!! Plus seeing your signature just confirms the fact that we won't have any problems filling it up with seats in the future :p

Thanks again!

Last edited:

lovinwaves

Congrats on the new purchase! This is a great forum as well www.odyclub.com

I think the two seats you have picked out will be perfect for you :)

I personally have two Radians rear-facing in my Odyssey(see siggie picture). I really like the Radian, especially for forward-facing, because of it's baseless design. This makes it easier for my two kids to climb up into their seats. The newer Radian, the XT, supposedly is easier to install rear-facing in regards to getting the seat in a more upright position. In my Odyssey, I cannot get the older Radian65 anymore upright than 45 degrees. :(

acoro

Thank you! That info is much appreciated as well. I am sure if we add another baby down the road we will probably add a Radian to the mix as well!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I actually liked the Sienna better for carseats, but only because three across that centre row was possible.. the 8th seat was great, but the downside to it was that the XLE model only came with 7 seats, aigh! So when the Touring came out with 8 seats, I was all over it...but only because I have a 5'8" 140lb 13 year old that CAN sit in the PlusOne with only a minor choking risk (so, in a pinch)..

You're going to love it!! I might be selling mine this summer if we move out of the country, and I'm so going to miss it. I did buy mine in the US, so it was a screaming deal and I suspect it'll sell for as much as I paid for it...that helps soften the blow of saying goodbye to it!

-Nicole.

acoro

I preferred the Sienna for seating 8 as well. Too bad the salesmen acted like we were nuts for even asking for one. We couldn't even test drive one. In fact we had to drive a 7 passenger CE because they didn't have any 2009 LE's on the lot (7 or 8 passenger)!! We would have had to wait at least two months for one to be built and the whole sales team at the dealership soured us on buying one. Funny since we were trading in a Toyota Matrix that we love, and we always had great service at the garage in that dealership. But in the end the Odyssey has the higher safety ratings and we were able to get the Touring for a great deal (i also prefer the styling of the ody way more)!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC