1994 BMW 530i Wagon - anyone with car seats in one?

autumnlily

My husband is looking to sell our 2003 Corolla so he can buy a 1994 BMW 530i Touring Wagon. I know nothing about BMW's. This is the picture of the back seat:

IMGP3548-vi.jpg

I'm having a hard time finding info about seatbelt types and whether is an anchor for tethering.

I would install either our Radian, Marathon or Frontier. At some point, I may try to have three carseats.

Anyone with any experience with this make and model?
1994 BMW 530i Touring Wagon

ADS

Jenifer

I don't have any BMW's listed that early from my checks, so I don't have any insight regarding types of belts. I would guess there is a lap only in the center, that would have a locking bar. :thumbsup:Easy with a harnessed seat. The outboards would have a lap shoulder combo that may or may not lock. Refer to the vehicle manual or look for a label on the seatbelt.

Older BMW's can be awful to install outboard. The lap portion of the lap shoulder belt is anchored forward (see back of your photo). This makes it hard to get a tight install since there is so much space between the buckle on the one side of the seat and when the belt is anchored on the other side of the seat. Seats can also have forward movement due to the position of the lap shoulder belt being anchored forward of the vehicle seatYou may have to try different seats in this position. :thumbsdown:

Regarding the tether: The LATCh manual say to check your vehicle owners under Installing Child Seats. There is no tehter kit #, but individual parts are available for certain models. If no nut is welded under the drilled hole, use a generic tether anchor kit (from the child restraint manufacturer). If a weld nut is present in the vehicle, use a 5/16" grade 5 or better bolt of appropriate length.

Good Luck!

autumnlily

Thanks for the advice - I will have to keep it in mind if DH does buy an older vehicle. We have decided to pass on the 1994 BMW... this particular vehicle, while it had been garaged and had a great exterior - had seen one too many Frat parties on the inside :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC