Inexpensive, yet good infant seat? skip infant seat?

I'm looking for suggestions on an inexpensive infant bucket seat. I want it to still be a great seat, though. Or can newborns fit straight into convertable seats like the Marathon or Roundabout?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What do you consider inexpensive?

The Marathon and Roundabout are not good seats for newborns. Their bottom slots are too high. If you want a convertible seat for a newborn I'd look at the Learning Curve True Fit, Evenflo Triumph Advace, Sunshine Kids Radian, and the Cosco Scenera.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Most infants can fit into some convertibles, but not Britax convertibles, which have high slot straps. Straps need to be at or below baby's shoulders when rear-facing.

The Radians and Triumph Advances with infant inserts, and the True Fit, usually work well for newborns.

Inexpensive as in $100 or less.

I am well aware of where the straps need to be for rearfacing and forward facing ;) I have just never put a newborn in our seats (MA and BLVD). We didn't get my DS2 his MA until he was like 6 months or so (somewhere around that time). I've used infant seats for both of my boys when they were newborns. .. both Graco Snugrides.

Triumph Advance.. good seat. I considered it for my DS2. I'll have to think about that one.

thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think you can find the Snugride in some forms for under $100. but it may be a rear adjuster with no foam or padding.

Wendy

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You can often find a front adjusting Snug Ride or Safe Seat 1 (renamed Snug Ride 32) on sale for $100 or less. Check out albeebaby.com. They usually have pretty good deals.

U

Unregistered

Most infants can fit into some convertibles, but not Britax convertibles, which have high slot straps. Straps need to be at or below baby's shoulders when rear-facing.

The Radians and Triumph Advances with infant inserts, and the True Fit, usually work well for newborns.

WOW! I didn't know this! I have Boulevards and they say that with the hip pad you can place a newborn in it. I never had anyone under six months in it, but plenty of my friends do and haven't had problems- or maybe they just don't know they aren't in the right way??
My 3 mos old went into a roundabout well also, but he was big for his age.

We just bought a friend as a group gift a Boulevard for her baby due in July because she has no plan to carry around an infant carseat and wants to keep things simple. Can you direct me to more info about the problem with the Britax? I would hate to be giving her something that isn't going to work for her.
CK

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Inexpensive as in $100 or less.

I am well aware of where the straps need to be for rearfacing and forward facing ;)

Sorry -- I'm sure you are, but I tend to err on the side of too much information for the benefit of other readers.

The Avenue ($80ish, RF to 35 and FF to 40) might work, but can be a challenging install rear-facing.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
WOW! I didn't know this! I have Boulevards and they say that with the hip pad you can place a newborn in it. I never had anyone under six months in it, but plenty of my friends do and haven't had problems- or maybe they just don't know they aren't in the right way??

We just bought a friend as a group gift a Boulevard for her baby due in July because she has no plan to carry around an infant carseat and wants to keep things simple. Can you direct me to more info about the problem with the Britax? I would hate to be giving her something that isn't going to work for her.
CK

Britax used to allow use with the straps no more than 1" above the shoulders: they no longer do and they require that the straps be below the shoulders. It is in the manual -- hang on and I'll search for a page number.

Okay. Page 6:

Use rear facing only with children...the harness straps are at or slightly below the infant's shoulders

and in a big red warning box

WARNING: Do NOT use the child seat rear-facing if... the harness straps are above the child's shoulders.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

CK

It CAN be too tall to get a proper 45* newborn recline in some cars, so that's a con. The bottom slots are also a bit higher than infant seats, and the rule of thumb is that harness slots be 'at or below' the shoulders, although some experts don't feel this is a problem in seats with 5 point harnesses (where the lap straps hold the baby down in a crash so they don't 'ramp up' and fall backwards out of the seat)

Maedze

Sorry -- I'm sure you are, but I tend to err on the side of too much information for the benefit of other readers.

The Avenue ($80ish, RF to 35 and FF to 40) might work, but can be a challenging install rear-facing.

I think the bottom most slot straps are comparable to the Britax though, 9-10 inches.

OP, if you want a good infant seat, Albee Baby frequently has SS1s clearanced under 100 dollars.

Otherwise, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, First Years True Fit and Sunshine Kids Radians are all convertibles that fit newborns well AND allow for extended rearfacing AND allow for extended harnessing (tough bill to fill!)

Pixels

The BabyTrend seat is about $90 if you pay full price at Target. Some people love it, some hate it. You'll have to play with it and see what you think. It is super easy to get a super tight install with LATCH.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I know you said $100, but if you could skip the infant bucket seat and just go straight to one of the convertibles, could you allow more for your budget? You could justify it by not needing to buy another seat in a year or so.

I know you said $100, but if you could skip the infant bucket seat and just go straight to one of the convertibles, could you allow more for your budget? You could justify it by not needing to buy another seat in a year or so.

absolutely! I would deffinately go well above $100 for a convertable. I know we will go from bucket seat to convertable once baby is around 6,7, or 8 months.. depending on when I get tired of using it. LOL Both boys were in convertables by that age. So, yeah, that is why I wanted to keep it under $100 for a bucket seat because I KNOW I wouldn't use it for a long time.

BTW, did I mention we don't even know if I am pregnant :eek: Can never start your carseat hunt too early! hahaha :p

JerseyGirl'sMama

absolutely! I would deffinately go well above $100 for a convertable. I know we will go from bucket seat to convertable once baby is around 6,7, or 8 months.. depending on when I get tired of using it. LOL Both boys were in convertables by that age. So, yeah, that is why I wanted to keep it under $100 for a bucket seat because I KNOW I wouldn't use it for a long time.

BTW, did I mention we don't even know if I am pregnant :eek: Can never start your carseat hunt too early! hahaha :p

:D Then you have enough time to save up for the carseat you want! I am planning on getting a True Fit ARB for this baby. I am going to skip the infant bucket altogether.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
:D Then you have enough time to save up for the carseat you want! I am planning on getting a True Fit ARB for this baby. I am going to skip the infant bucket altogether.

I'm going with a True Fit, don't know about ARB yet or not. But I've wanted a True Fit longer than I've wanted a baby (still don't want the baby as much as I want the carseat, but I've got another 25 weeks or so to warm up to the baby idea). And welcome to the world of carseat obsession. You'll be wanting more seats than kids I can bet over the course of the next several years, especially when they start coming out with 40 or even 50 pound rear facing seats (hopefully my grandkids will be in these seats), and 100 pound harnessed seats with 24" top slots or something. :) I doubt I'll stop drooling just because I don't have appropriate kids for them anymore. LOL

I am SO buying Piper's kids' carseats. :) Can't wait to shop for those.

Wendy

LOL.. I love carseats! Only reason each kid has one carseat is because we can't afford to try other seats! As far as baby goes, we shall find that out sometime next week. It's too early to test right now... I HATE not knowing!

I really like bucket seats... I like that I can put the baby in there and shield them away from strangers touching them or even KISSING them. I like being able to strap them in while in the house rather than outside, especially when I have to buckle others in! If I am indeed pregnant, I will have a 5 year old (harnessed), a 2 year old, and an infant. I'll need the ease!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC