UFOs-Potential Projectiles

ed_tricia

We have a trip coming up, and now that I've had car safety on the brain, I wondered if anyone had good ideas for securing things in a vehicle. I did read through the junk in the trunk thread, which was great b/c I have a pontiac vibe that is hatchback style, so that was part of my question.
Now I'm still wondering if anyone has clever solutions for the stuff you need to have up front? We will be in the car for 12 hours, so we need to have a few snacks, water, and some things to entertain the kiddo. My thought was some type of lidded box that I could seatbelt in on one side? My only concern there would be how to access it from the front (passenger!) seat safely.
I have started taking the extra 10 seconds to put the diaper bag, library bag, groceries, etc. all in the trunk or hatch under the cover (depending on the car) for daily errands. I used to just put them on the floor :eek: and figure that was good enough.
TIA!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would use a big soft cooler or duffel bag with lots of straps and access flaps. Then you could belt down the straps but still have zippers to access things by reaching around. Or, you could get a bag that will fit them all and can be tucked under a seat-- not perfect but if it's good for airplanes, right?

ed_tricia

I hadn't thought about a cooler. Duh! From glancing around the house, I had noticed a lidded file box or a craft container with a lid, but both of those are hard objects and the lids would be hard to access if the container were secure. At least w/ a duffle bag or soft cooler, the container itself would be safer, and it will pretty much be coloring books, a couple stuffed animals, and some paperback books.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have a cooler we use in the car sometimes that is about the size of, oh, a car seat, for example (;) ) and is really soft and squishy, but has that reflective insulating stuff... With ice, it keeps things cool, without, just keeps them. :) It has a gajillion access flaps that all securely zipper down (unless you don't zipper them, then there's velcro) and I think we paid about $20 at Target for it a few years back...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC