Who wants to help me tie the Wiggles in with car safety?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For my kids' birthdays...

They get a combined birthday party (hey, it's not my fault they chose to all be born in April to a father who's a tax accountant... :whistle: ) This year, since they're all into The Wiggles, we're doing a theme party along those lines.

I am getting stuff together for goody bags, and thought I'd throw in a little page on ERF (my will-be one year old! She's 27 lbs. right now, and has another month to go) and EH (my will-be 5 year old is 37 lbs. and I think my will-be 3 year old is a pound or two heavier; may hit 40 by her birthday.) I'm planning to put pictures of them happy in their car seats on there with a little blurb about ERF, EH, projectiles, common misuse, etc., with some resources to check out if they're interested in learning more (KDM, where to get a seat check, etc.) I'm not lacking on resources or anything, don't really need help with that part.

Here's my question: how would you tie it in with the Wiggles theme?

The only thing I can think of so far is, for the lead-in, "When the Wiggles ride in the Big Red Car, they buckle up! We buckle up safely in the car, too!" But that's kind of lame to my eyes/ears. Anyone know how to put it more succinctly?

And what about visuals? I don't want to use copyrighted materials, of course. Is taking the pictures in their car seats with them wearing their Wiggles t-shirts (yes, they all have them) enough of a visual tie-in? Or should I maybe do some kind of tie-in with the colors instead, like a border in red, blue, yellow, and purple?

I'd like to make it cute and eye-catching so kids don't automatically throw it out before their parents read it. (We'll have a crowd ranging from 1 1/2 to 6 or 7, including siblings.) I want it to be positive and interesting but factual.

Ideas? Or am I off my rocker?

Last edited:
ADS

aclayton74

I don't think you are off your rocker!! Of course I don't have any ideas how to tie the two themes together I just wanted to let you know you are not off your rocker!!! By the way I think it is a wonderful idea!!

mommycat

I like the idea of them wearing their Wiggles shirts in the pictures. Nothing new to add, sorry. Great idea though!

ks1978

I'm a big dork, I like the wiggles buckle safely in their big red car. You could get 4 men to dress up as the wiggles, and they can sing (to the tune of fruit salad) "safely safely safely safely ride in the caarr. Ride safely in caaar." but that might only work if you are in my head singing it. I think you have a great idea!

Love the idea of a Wiggles theme - my 7YO's haven't been into the Wiggles for a while and I'll have to admit I miss that.

How about titling your handout something like: "Toot Toot, Chugga, Chugga, Safe Red Car: Wiggly tips for keeping you and your little ones safe on the road, in a world where not all drivers Stop at the Light and Look Both Ways"

oh, and can't resist posting a pic from 2005, back when my DD's were at their apex of Wigglemania - they not only wanted to dress up as Wiggles for Halloween, they convinced mom and dad to join in. It was a hoot going down our block trick-or-treating b/c the reactions were SO different depending on whether the family had young children ("Hey, look, it's the Wiggles!") or not ("um, are you supposed to be a band?")
wiggles2005.jpg

itzmeigh

I guess I'm the odd man out here... I really don't want to be invited to your party so you can preach your beliefes to me.

Just the same that I wouldn't invite you to a party at my house and include flyers in the gift bags about how Vegan is the best diet. (I'm not Vegan, just using it as an example.) Or a hand-put about how to child proof your home.

I just don't think your child's party is the right time or place to be spreading the word. I mean, I'm a total car seat nut and I'd be a little put off to get something like that in a gift bag. "So now you are telling me that I don't know how to take care of my child?"

I do feel that there is a time and place for teachiong proper car seat use. I don't feel that the time or place is your child's birthday party.

But I'm sure I'm the odd man out on that one!

mommycat

I see your point but I think if it's worded right it should be ok. Rather than a "you must do X" I would tackle it more along the lines of, "did you know that now you can...?"

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I was not going to mention it at the party.

I am putting a sheet in the goody bags.

I think there's a difference.

And I was thinking one sheet that can be thrown away if they don't want to read it is not as annoying as the constant nattering on about it I usually do. ;)

I should add that all the kids are friends either from their dance class, where I constantly have discussions about it and hand out pamphlets on proper use, or from church, where it doesn't come up as much but I have been known to pass on information and pamphlets. So, um, it's not like they don't know I'm nuts already...

itzmeigh

Well, if they are your friends and they already know that you are the "Go To" for all their car seat needs then it would make me even MORE uncomfortable to get an instruction page in my child's gift bag.

Again. I'd see it as you trying to tell me how to parent my child. I see this as so much more preaching then just having car seats come up in conversation.

To me I'd think to myself "MAN! Mary must really think I'm out to do my kids in! She rants on and on at dance about car seats and then I send my kid to her party and they come home with MORE car seat stuff!"

From that point on every time I heard you start in on any car seat information instead of hearing what you have to say I'd start to hear "Blah blah blah blah..." Because you have made it clear to me that I have no clue how to handle my own kids.

I'd really feel this way about any topic. Diets, breastfeeding, cloth diapering... You name it. If I go to your (general) party I don't want to come home with an information packet (no matter how long or short!) about YOUR beliefs. If I am doing something unsafe with my child then take me aside and talk to me about it in person. But don't slip your propaganda into my child's treat bag.

It would come very close to being a friendship killer... (to me anyway. But I am only one person and sometimes my ideas don't add up to everyone else's.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I don't think it would offend me that much. I get Baptist tracts in my kids' Halloween goodie bags/birthday party gift bags from my kids' friends' parents all the time.

And it's not a "how to." It's just mentioning that Maggie is still RF, that Emma is still harnessed and will be in a booster after until she passes the 5 step test, that Bridget will stay harnessed until age 6 at least, and here's some sites if you're interested. With pictures, and a "thanks for coming to our party."

In fact very similar to things I've seen in many gift bags around here. Most contain some kind of message from the kids. Maybe things are different where you live?

I have no ideas, but I do like the idea of a sheet being thrown into the goody bags. I did that to my SIL when she was expecting. I made her a diaper cake and had another gift bag of things, so I made some printouts on carseat safety and stuck them in the bag. I don't know if she read them (probably not because she brought her infant home from the hospital with bad use and keeps the straps ABOVE the shoulder when he is rearfacing) but at least I tried and it wasn't huge pressure.

OH, but I do want to say that not everyone will feel that way and some parents will be a little offended. I once had a friend's mom slip some weight loss info into my purse when I was over visiting. I noticed it when I got in the car to leave. She sells weight loss stuff, so she was trying to get me to buy.... this was nearly 10 years ago and I am STILL offended that she would have the nerve to do such a thing. These parents might have the same reaction.. like stepping on their toes :(

that said, Id still do it! :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd be offended if someone put stuff in my purse, too. But put stuff in a gift bag, or hand it to me? I'm cool with that. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I guess. But like I said, I get all kinds of stuff in goody bags given to my kids, from ads for their parents' businesses to Baptist tracts. Is this really all that different?

mommy2env

I guess not. lol

I have never received anything but goodies in a goody bag, that's why it seems a little weird.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It must be the circles I run in, then, because 3/4 of goody bags my kids have recieved have some kind of "message" in them!

itzmeigh

I've never gotten propaganda in my child's gift/treat bag. And if I ever did (of ANY kind, if I agree with it or not) I would honestly be leery of ever going to another of their parties or inviting them to one of mine.

I don't like junk mail. And I can't see how that is any different.

I'm sorry to keep disagreeing... Maybe like you said it is more a difference in the areas we live in. But that kind of thing would never go on around here. So I can't imagine thinking it was ok. I just see it as junk mail, solicitation, "I'm a better parent then You!", propaganda... Call it what you will... It doesn't go in a child's gift bag.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay.

How about I put a stack on the table next to the gift bags, and people can take them if they want?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC