safest 3d row in an SUV?

K

kat

I have 3 kids ages 5, 3, and 1, all in some type of large Britax seats (Marathons and Regents). For everyday use, we have a 2004 Sienna with VSC and side curtain airbags. But, we camp and tow a trailer with a Toyota 4Runner (also with VSC and side curtain airbags in first 2 rows).

I am now looking for a bigger SUV so I can continue to tow the trailer but put one of the kids in a 3d row seat. With the exception of the 2007 Suburban, all the other SUVs I've looked at that have both side curtain air bags in all 3 rows and stability control seem to have the 3d row seats right up against the back of the car. That seems completely unsafe to me. It seems like my child would "crumple" in the crumple zone at the back of these SUVs if we were hit from behind, even at fairly low speeds.

If not for towing the trailer, I would just get another Sienna, but given my towing needs I am beginning to think that the Suburban is my only real option. It depresses me because not only is the Suburban a gas-guzzler, it is stupidly expensive.

Any opinions or suggestions to share? Am I over-emphasizing the need for some space between the third row seats and the back of the car?

ADS

skaterbabs

fwiw, while the sticker shock from fill-up will give you a coronary, the actual gas milage from a Suburban is no worse than any other large truck in the road IMO. We have a '93 Suburban and while it doesn't get as good of milage as my Cherokee, it's very reasonable.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have an '05 Tahoe and love every bit of it. I agree it's not the best gas mileage vehicle on the road but for a large SUV the GM vehicles are the best gas mileage in the large SUV market. I love the new Tahoe/Suburbans. I want one so bad but dh won't buy one.

Tara

mmmmmmmm suburban
I miss ours. We have an Expedition now. Less cargo area back there, but I don't think the back seat is as close as most mini vans I've seen. Just speculation, I've not actually paid much attention as I'm just a truck/suv kinda gal ;)

And didn't I see something here before about "crumple zone" on SUVs? Argh...can't get my words out well today, bear with me.. since they are higher up, that area isn't as likely to get crumpled. The crumple zone is used more in reference to small cars/mini vans that sit lower to the ground. Where if rear ended, would take the impact. Whereas with an SUV, they sit up higher and if they were to be rear ended, the bumper is catching most of the impact, rather than the actual back of the vehicle.

Am I off base here? This just sounds familiar to me. And I can *see* the logic in it. Not trying to say the close rear seats in an SUV are safer than those in a mini van simply because they're higher off the ground, not trying to say anything like that. Just making a note/comment on the rear crumple zone thing.

Have I completely rambled off and confused everyone? I don't feel I'm communicating well this morning. My apologies if this is the case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC