Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

What did my son ride in?

We have NO idea what infant seat this was, and it was LONG before we knew any better. My mother bought it for me from my BIL who was selling Quixtar (I think that is the spelilng) and it was with a travel system. Josef did not ride in it much as it was a PITA to install since it came without a base. Thankfully a VERY good friend of the family gave me her son's Graco Snugride to use with boo. It was a 5-point vs 3-point and no we did not use any after-market crap with it either. Josef was in the Snugride full-time by four months, and thankfully only took a handful of trips in the 3-point.

So, anyone know what it is and the "scoop" on it? It has been too long ago for me to remeber much from that cold, long winter Josef was born.

Attachment 4014
    Last edited by mommaon112903; 05-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: What did my son ride in?

That might be a Graco Assura, but I'd need to look at the car seat pictorial to be sure....brb

Yup...definitely an assura

they are not sold in stores, only industrially for hospitals and check programs. they are about as sturdy as a laundry bucket and have zero padding and a bizarre rod adjuster in the back.
    Last edited by Maedze; 03-26-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: update

Senior Community Member emars002's Avatar

On the turtorial it looks like Graco-Century Assura 1997-2002 or the 2002-2007on page 6:
    http://carseat.org/Pictorial/1-RF-Infant-np.pdf
    Erin, mom to 2 great girls:
    ---------------10 forester--10 Odyssey
    M: 8y1m 41 lbs-----TB---------cybex
    S: 5y1m 39 lbs----80SL-------FN85

Senior Community Member emars002's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    That might be a Graco Assura, but I'd need to look at the car seat pictorial to be sure....brb
    we were posting at the same time
    Erin, mom to 2 great girls:
    ---------------10 forester--10 Odyssey
    M: 8y1m 41 lbs-----TB---------cybex
    S: 5y1m 39 lbs----80SL-------FN85

That I CAN remeber! Just one of the reasons we took him out so soon! I did like the stroller though, my mom actually still has the stroller five years later. I do remeber not seeing any Graco stickers on it though, I wonder why. And how on earth did Quixstar get their hands on them since they are a catalouge company only?

Yup...definitely an assura

they are not sold in stores, only industrially for hospitals and check programs. they are about as sturdy as a laundry bucket and have zero padding and a bizarre rod adjuster in the back.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

Senior Community Member poohbearkrazy's Avatar

That is a cosco, I'm not sure of the exact model but I know it's a cosco because of the yellow base/stroler release buttons on either side of the handle. Graco/Century has always had the red button to lower the handle. Hang on i'll see if I can find a pic of it for you.

ETA: Heres one similar on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosco-Car-Seat_W...3%3A1|294%3A50

Heres the stroller that goes with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUTE-USED-COSCO-...3%3A1|294%3A50
    Christine:Mommy to: Anthony 10.2, Caleb 8.11, Jacob 5.10, Katelynn our newbie 6/18/13
    and our angel Nevaeh 1/1/07-1/1/07

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by poohbearkrazy View Post
    That is a cosco, I'm not sure of the exact model but I know it's a cosco because of the yellow base/stroler release buttons on either side of the handle. Graco/Century has always had the red button to lower the handle. Hang on i'll see if I can find a pic of it for you.

ETA: Heres one similar on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosco-Car-Seat_W...3%3A1|294%3A50
    Now I've got my nose on the computer screen. I was 100% before but now I'm second guessing!

I can't find your Cosco seat on the pictorial, but the handle bar on Josef's seat looks closer to your seat than the one on the Assura. The base looks similar to the Cosco Arriva, but it's the wrong handle bar! Blast!

Senior Community Member poohbearkrazy's Avatar

Now I've got my nose on the computer screen. I was 100% before but now I'm second guessing!

I can't find your Cosco seat on the pictorial, but the handle bar on Josef's seat looks closer to your seat than the one on the Assura. The base looks similar to the Cosco Arriva, but it's the wrong handle bar! Blast!
    LOL, I just found the stroller with the exact print of Josef's carseat and it's definitely a cosco. I just cant remember the model of it.
    Christine:Mommy to: Anthony 10.2, Caleb 8.11, Jacob 5.10, Katelynn our newbie 6/18/13
    and our angel Nevaeh 1/1/07-1/1/07

CPS Advocate

Do you see it on the pictorial? I 'blew up' Josef's picture and unless my mind's playing tricks on me I *think* I can see the letters COSCO imprinted on the plastic near the feet, or the bottom halves of them at least, which I think a lot of older Cosco products have. I wish I knew the name of that seat! It's almost the Arriva (basically the Cosco version of the Assura) but not quite....

Yep, that be the stroller! My mom really likes that stroller, and it is much smaller than what my sis just got with her new snugride. How I wish I knew what I knew now, Josef would have gotten a Macleran stroller and a SafeSeat or Chicco!

Quote Originally Posted by poohbearkrazy View Post
    LOL, I just found the stroller with the exact print of Josef's carseat and it's definitely a cosco. I just cant remember the model of it.

CPS Advocate

They weren't making the SS when Josef was a baby

Well, pooh! I swear he misses out on all the good stuff, lol. What did they make that was decent other than the snugride? If he was born today he would start out in a SafeSeat or Chicoo in one car and a True Fit in the other. Maybe then I would not have spent over $700 on car seats for one child!

They weren't making the SS when Josef was a baby

CPS Advocate

Well, there was the Snugride. And also, the Snugride. And we can't forget the Snugride!

(And the Britax BabySafe and Companion)

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Well, there was the Snugride. And also, the Snugride. And we can't forget the Snugride!

(And the Britax BabySafe and Companion)
    And the FP SIV

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Hmmm...Late 2003... Yeah, Snugride (maybe the Peg Perego or Companion...I guess of those three maybe the Companion was the easiest to install, but the Snugride was easiest to use and the Peg was...uh...something people with money to burn managed to struggle with so they could be fashionable )
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good