new stroller criteria, more advice please!

Hollyob

So after all this focus on good jogging strollers, DH concedes that he probably won't run with the new one (witness the BJ single collecting dust in the garage) and that we might as well branch out in our search. I am still interested in an older BOB or BJ, if I can find one, but I am considering the "all-terrain strollers" too. Again, mainly used for brisk walks on flat, straight sidewalks. The main stumbling block seems to be stuffing my 5-year-old (43", 40lbs) in one. I thought I had stumbled upon gold when I found joggingstroller.com's detailed specs of every stroller they sell, but then I found a major error, which means I can't really trust their notes. Sigh.

So I looked at what people suggested in response to my posts (including strollers that were rejected b/c they weren't good for actual running), in addition to bits of things I've read on the web, and have come up with a list of potential strollers. The main issue is that it is big enough for my son, but also that it is good quality in general, and has comfy seats. I would like, but don't require, the fixed/swivel wheel option. I would also love something light enough and easy enough to fold to carry up 7 stairs to my front porch. It can be large (likely won't be used inside or put in car), but hopefully manageable for that stair trip. The easier it is to move it, the less likely it will get left out in the rain. :whistle:

Anyway, here is what I have added to my list: Tike Tech Trax 360 Double, the Dreamer Design line (not sure about particular models), Valco Tri-Mode Twin Runabout, BJ City Series, Kelty Deuce Coupe, and the Phil & Ted Twin (the Wike is a possibility but so expensive & can't buy used). Any of those you think will be too small? I know I have to try them out, but if you have personal experience with an older child, please share. There are several on my CL for me to look at, including an older Baby Jogger and a BJCSED.

There's also this Dreamer Design:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bab/1087834826.html
would that model be a good one for me to consider? It's at least an hour's drive away.

and this Avenir double:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bab/1087130437.html
Haven't seen anything about the Avenir. Any opinions? Probably another hour's drive.

And one more question: if Toby didn't fit in a Revolution Duallie, he's not going to fit in a SUS Duallie, right? There's one for sale right in my town...

Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully my quest will be over soon.

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

It depends on the year of the duallies, like you said before. I squeezed my dd into the revolution until age 5 or so (she was 42 inches, 42 pounds at 3.5 with a 16.5 inch torso). THe tallest seat back will be the baby jogger (your best bet is one of the city series...20-21 inch seat backs). I could go and double check the seat back on my 07 duallie for you. I would have done it right now, but babies all starting to cry. Is your porch wide enough to just bounce the stroller up? That is what I would do if I could, instead of trying to fold, etc. More later:)

Hollyob

It depends on the year of the duallies, like you said before.)

Oh right. I just checked the listing again and she doesn't have a picture, so I emailed her to ask. She bought it used so I guess there's a good chance it would be an older one. She's selling it for $325.

The Revolution duallie that he was too big for was a new one at REI. So probably too big for a new Ironman or SUS, right?

Thanks!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, I double checked and the seatback is about 20 inches on the duallie. I think the issue is with the hood. ANd some kids are uncomfy with the padding that gets added when the seat is all the way up. I would double check him in the duallie again, just to be sure. My dd never minded the hood touching her head, and she had plenty of back/head support. I think the baby jogger hoods, 2007.5 and up, have the bigger higher hood, not sure on that 2007.5 year though. The bob's hood is flat.
So, I was checking pics, and it seems that the hoods are shaped the same. DD was 4 here, so ~44 inches, 44 pounds, 17 inch torso.
IMG_0932_2.jpg

IMG_0933_1.jpg

IMG_0934_3.jpg

IMG_0937_5.jpg

The baby jogger hood has an extra panel in it, to make it higher. Not sure when they started this though.
The other thing to consider is that the bob is a single front wheel, and the baby jogger double. The bob pushes like a feather, I have never tried a baby jogger so have no experience there. I do have an ABC that has double front wheel, and I prefer the bob, but like/need the triple option. True test will be how it handles now that I lubed the front wheels.

Don't know what else to say. Not familiar with the others. I believe dreamer design has gone down in quality.

Hollyob

After looking into the BJCSD, I am getting excited about the one on CL for $325. Problem is, it's kinda far away. It's near a nice state park though, so maybe we'll go on Sat and go to the park too. Does this stroller sound like a bad idea for us size-wise? It seems like people here :love: it.

That SUS is in fact an older one, so I'll probably go see it. But I am leaning toward the option of a swivel wheel since it won't be used for jogging. I know some people do fine walking with a fixed wheel, but others have a hard time with it, which makes me nervous. I would try it out of course, but I think I wouldn't really know if it works for me until I start using it on long walks. We'll see. Maybe they'd let me take it out for 20 minutes or so....

Melanie

We have this Schwinn stroller: http://www.nextag.com/Schwinn-13-SC908-Runner-626215307/prices-html

This looks like the same, but with a swivel wheel http://www.jogging-stroller-superst..._double_jogging_stroller&utm_campaign=9942160

I'm sure it's not the quality of the higher end strollers you are looking at, but the hood is kind of arched so there is a lot of head room in it. DD2 just turned 4 and fits just fine. She's 42". The seat back is lower than the top of her head, but she's never complained about having to rest her head on the mesh part. The hood is velcrod'd in the back, so you can easily tilt it forward if the sun is in front of you.

Ours has lasted through quite a bit of abuse. The Schwinns are the nicer version of the Instep strollers. I think Insteps have steel frames and Schwinns have aluminum.

If you aren't going to do anything crazy like take your stroller on hiking trails :whistle:, I'd get a swivel wheel. I use ours for neighborhood walks, mainly because I have a hard time justifying another stroller just for the swivel wheel. Loaded with two kids takes a bit of muscle for the turns. It turns very easy with just one kiddo.

btw: the links above are just to show the strollers, you can probably find a better price.

mybabysmomma

That SUS is in fact an older one, so I'll probably go see it. But I am leaning toward the option of a swivel wheel since it won't be used for jogging. I know some people do fine walking with a fixed wheel, but others have a hard time with it, which makes me nervous.

I have a 2007 Duallie SUS and I love it. I only walk with it and don't find it hard to turn at all. In fact, I've taken it on 2 international trips and gone through about 6 airports with it. I don't recommend doing that, because it is a pain in the butt to go through security, but it is very easy to use and steer. You do have to kind of push down on the bar to turn it if you are on rougher terrain, but it isn't hard at all.

It is also pretty light and I don't think you would have a problem moving it up and down stairs, as long as the kids aren't in it. Good luck deciding! It took me months to figure out what stroller I wanted, lol!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, the bob sus is soooo well balanced it really is quite easy to turn, no matter the weights of the kids. I had tried my then 2.5 year old in a schwinn, and she was already over the seatback, and had no room to grow. This is the dd that is in the pics at 4 in the bob. She was quite comfy in the bob, and rode another year in it. But, if you want the tallest seatback, most head room (seat to hood) it is baby jogger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC