Ohio Booster Law

MonsterMom6

Thought I posted this about a week ago, but it must be somewhere in cyber-la-la-land. Not sure where it belongs, so mods, please feel free to park it where it should be.

I'm trying to understand the new law that was supposed to take affect in April. Does ANYONE have a clear explanation, in layman's terms, possibly in the form of a flyer or an official source I can cite online?

I searched the site here and got a ton of hits on every conversation regarding boosters that MissKatie responded to :D:D I know it's been discussed here, so please just link me to the threads if you can find them.

A Google search resulted in a bunch of really ambiguous newspaper articles, with reporter's interpretations (yep they are the experts- :rolleyes:). Did find one publication from a township health agency that is pretty clear (not MY township). But, I'd like something from a statewide agency. There has been little press and PSAs about this law, as far as I can tell. I'm sure most of our elementary school knows nothing (or cares nothing:() about this.

My kids will be boostered for a very long time....possibly to prom night :D. But I want to understand "the letter of the law". We'll be doing a bit more carpooling, ridesharing soon and this really affects all the kindergardners. I think most 1st and 2nd graders will skate through the transition period :thumbsdown:. Just think I might get fewer "oh she's the crazy car seat mom" eye rolls from parents when I insist on my kids being in boosters when in someone else's vehicle. I am also involved in a couple of parenting groups (kids of all ages) and in a position to "get the word out" about the law AND best practice.

The law references age 8 and 4'9" (57"), without regard for weight. The way I interpret from http://www.boostohiokids.org

- an 8 year old, regardless of height, may legally ride without a booster
- a 6 year old who is 57" or taller may legally ride without a booster

Also, can't figure out WHY, but they moved the effective date and enforcement period out 6 months. Law was going to take affect April 2009, but no citations (just warnings) until October 2009. Now, it's effective October 2009, with enforcement beginning April 2010. Can't figure out HOW they can even do that, as I thought the effective dates were built into the law.:confused::confused::confused:

Thank you, oh wise ones...

ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is the link to your older post:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=77474
I found it by clicking on "View posts by this user" when I clicked on your name.

It does look like the working is 8 or 4'9" so if a child is 4'9" prior to 8 year old, they can be out of a booster and if they are 8 years old, regardless of height, they can be out of a booster.

Ahzryn

That is my interpretation as well. My 4'5" 8 year old is not required to be in a booster by the new law (she is not under 8). A 130 pound 7 year old who is 4'3" is required by law to be in a booster. If they were 4'9", they would not be required to be.

The way they worded the law, to require a booster the child must be both under 8 years old AND under 4'9" tall. My dd is really tall and is only 4'5, so I'd say this law will pretty much require every child under 8 to use a booster essentially.

Ahzryn

Actual text (with extra prepositional phrases omitted):

"When any child who is less than eight years of age and less than four feet nine inches in height"... "is being transported in a motor vehicle"... "the operator of the motor vehicle shall have the child properly secured"... "on a booster seat".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC