Safeseat 2

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
We had a CEU class where a Graco representative was present today. She stated that the safeseat 2 (20-40lbs) would be taken off the shelves soon. They are changing the shell to make it go to 50lbs. I asked if the older safeseat 2's would be able to also be now certified to 50lbs and she said no. I also asked if they were adding any shoulder height, and she said she wasn't sure about that, but she did know they were changing the shell. Just thought I'd spread the word. I knew they were going to be certified to a higher weight soon, but didn't know they were revamping the whole seat.

ADS

skipspin

Well, I guess that makes it worth something now. I am just afraid that Graco will stop making the Comfortsport (not that I like it by any stretch of the imagination...) and Graco-loyal parents will put their kids that outgrow the Snugride2 before 1 year and 20 lb in a FFing only seat. Not that it doesn't happen now, but it would be worse.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I had an issue with how the safeseat one and two are being represented regarding rearfacing. The representative was saying, "we made the safeseat 1 to go to 30lbs and get 98% of babies to one year, then they can move onto the safeseat 2." This mindset eliminates the convertible seat. My son is 2 1/2 and 28lbs, rearfacing in a marathon. So, weightwise he could still fit in a safeseat 1 (although he would definately be too tall). There is no way he would rearface if he had to be reclined like an infant seat. He likes his marathon because he can sit up more, and see things. I think people will move their babies out of the safeseat, before it is outgrown so they can sit up more. I am not sure this makes sense... but If I only had a safeseat1 and 2 as options, my son would have been forward facing in the safeseat2 a long time ago. I think convertible car seats serve a good purpose, and help keep children rearfacing because an older child will most likely be more comfortable in them.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Dsunny1 said:
My son is 2 1/2 and 28lbs, rearfacing in a marathon. So, weightwise he could still fit in a safeseat 1 (although he would definately be too tall).

I was so tempted to stick Piper in a safeseat 1 when we were looking at them in the store. If someone I knew had one I'd put her in it, but in the store with the padding and tags attached it would have been inaccurate. But I wondered how she would have fit. Her feet would have been dangling over, probably at the knees, but I wondered about her torso, if she'd fit.

Wendy

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
The rep stated they had a release time of "the end of the year" but also stated she wasn't sure if it would be ready by the release date. We all know how that goes, I suspect it will be out in the spring. :)

skipspin

Wendy, my DD was borderline/almost fitting in the safeseat 1 by height at 2 1/2. She was 29/30 lb and about 34" tall. Yes, her legs were hanging over, but she is long in the torso. So, not too bad, but I don't think most parents (maybe the lazy ones?) would leave their two year old in an "infant seat." I thought it was funny that DD fit in an infant seat even after she was potty trained. I have photos here:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/skipspin/Car Seats/Safeseatw30lb2yrold.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/skipspin/Car Seats/Safeseat-shellaboutheadof2yrold.jpg

He had maybe just a little less than an inch of shell above her head, even though it looks like her head is over the top.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for re-posting that, Joy... I've been pondering whether to buy one of those at Target on sale ;)...now I don't have much excuse not to, right? (DH wouldn't agree, but hey, winter's coming, and I can't let his precious little darling sit in a COLD convertible seat, right? lol.).

I think Leah will get through the winter easily in it.

Simplysomething

So there is no inbetween the safeseat1 and 2?

That's dumb. Nevermind the parents who don't really dig the infant seat past the first couple of months..we'll just skip that step. @@ at graco.

And March 20 is my 18 month olds birthday :)

Did she mention if the new seat will be priced around the same as the old? How would it compare to the fpsvd?

I'm just babbling here.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
She didn't mention how it would compair, I don't know if it will have higher harness heights, however, I would hope so if they are raising the weight and changing the shell. The fisher price will outrank it in my book, because it rearfaces, and will still have a higher weight then the safeseat.

I saw an advertisement for the safeseat 2 in my Target flyer today, the boy in it had a belly clip... You would think they would try to have a correct picture... If I were someone buying it right now, I'd be P.O'd not knowing it was being changed and being stuck with the "old" one that didn't go as high in weight.

Simplysomething

Not to mention the parents who will see the new safeseat on the shelves being rated to 50 lbs and assume that means that THEIR seat is too...

Graco and the rest of them should really stop with the confusing name things.

At least Britax, you know that a bv and a ma are two different seats from the get go, with fisher price, you might just assume that the fpsvd and the fpsv are the same seat, just one with extra padding or something (which is what the scenera dx is, isn't it?).

Safeseat 2 isn't that bad, but it should really be "3", and the TB should be 4.
A convertible is definitely needed.

Though, I'm sure, without the Britax's on the market---they wouldn't even be bothering (and without the internet, we wouldn't have clue. Thank you internet. lol)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
wendytthomas said:
I was so tempted to stick Piper in a safeseat 1 when we were looking at them in the store. If someone I knew had one I'd put her in it, but in the store with the padding and tags attached it would have been inaccurate. But I wondered how she would have fit. Her feet would have been dangling over, probably at the knees, but I wondered about her torso, if she'd fit.

Wendy

My dd at age 2 and 33.5" didn't fit in the safeseat at TRU. Her head was about 2" above the shell. She did however fit r-facing in the Triumph still and had just outgrown her alpha omega r-facing if you look at the 1" rule instead of the height limit. My dd has a big head though...lol. Her head is right at the top of the shell of her Marathon too now, although I know she's grown in the last 3 months. She's not really long in the torso, but her head adds to the height. (Totally OT, but this is why we went with a snugride with the baby I'm due with in November. We knew we'd be putting him in a convertible anyways, so I figured we were better off saving the $70 to put towards a Britax.)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Simplysomething said:
So there is no inbetween the safeseat1 and 2?

That's dumb. QUOTE]

That's what I thought when I saw the new Graco seats. If you rear face until 30, then the SS2 is only good for 10 lbs. . .

I can also see people going from RF to BPB - they are approved for 30 lbs so skip 2 and go right to 3.

Kellyr2

Yeah, the lack of a convertible option is dumb. BUT depending on the price, this new one might be good for some of these parents with kids who are over 40 lbs or too tall for their current harnessed seat but don't want to bother with a new convertible (Britax or Radian) or spend the money on a Regent. This will give them a more affordable option other than the Apex.
My biggest problem with this seat is that they call it "step 2." The seat itself is fine as is, for what it is, and I think it'll be great with the new weight limits. But its just NOT the second step by any means!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC