Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

new IIHS interactive map for child restraint laws

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

pretty cool

there's also a seatbelt laws tab.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: new IIHS interactive map for child restraint laws

That is cool! Some of their wording choice is sometimes confusing ("not permissible" under "adult belts" for some states, even ones with very lax child restraint laws, for example-- hard to figure out exactly what IS permissible there sometimes) and their color choice is... interesting, I'd be interested to know why they chose the colors that way. But mostly it's fun. And horrifying, in some cases.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Thanks for this! I stopped linking to the older one because it was outdated for some states.

(Shaking head)

The green and light blue states make me..... upset.
    DD10 (Diono Santa Fe), DD8.5 (Diono Santa Fe), DD6 (Recaro Vivo), DD2 (Britax Marathon/Boulevard), and DD5wk. (Bella Chicco Keyfit)!

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

Holy Cow did you see the fine for Nevada? $500
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGIRLLYNDSEY View Post
    I think that's not too horrible. It's pretty high, but at least it'll get your attention, YK? It's a lot better than $10, $20, or $25. That's just a slap on the wrist. You'd probably have to get closer to $100 for most people to really take notice -- and this is something they should take notice for.

There was a conversation at my tech class during a break. I didn't catch all of it, but I believe what was said is that in one of the New England states there were stricter laws about transporting animals (esp. in the beds of pickups) than human children. They actually used that comparison to help push the better child restraint laws through.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixels99 View Post
    I think that's not too horrible. It's pretty high, but at least it'll get your attention, YK? It's a lot better than $10, $20, or $25. That's just a slap on the wrist. You'd probably have to get closer to $100 for most people to really take notice -- and this is something they should take notice for.

There was a conversation at my tech class during a break. I didn't catch all of it, but I believe what was said is that in one of the New England states there were stricter laws about transporting animals (esp. in the beds of pickups) than human children. They actually used that comparison to help push the better child restraint laws through.

yeah that
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGIRLLYNDSEY View Post
    Maybe if other states had nice high fines parents would be more willing to at least follow the laws that are already in place.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

That's not all that accurate- here first time is a $50 fine, which is waved if you show up with an approved seat . You know the people I know who HAVE perfectly good seats but don't use them? Anyway, after that it's a $100 fine for additional violations. My cousin, when she didn't have her daughter restrained at all, got a real nice cop who took her in for an eons old warrant- told her that she wouldn't have been arrested had she not had her daughter bouncing around in the back seat.
    Last edited by Evolily; 03-30-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: ranted a bit too much
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

If the Texas booster law passes this session, it will change the fine from:
    An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $100 or more than $200
    to:
    An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $25

Even with the reduced fine amount, I am still okay with that as at least the law will be written out so Texans will see the minimum they should be doing (regardless of if they do it).
    Katy

I like Oregon... their law is the only really good one... not perfect, since rearfacing should be higher... but the rest is better than all the other states.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

CPS Technician

Minnesota is a "green" state -- once you have that magical 4th birthday, you can just use the seatbelt. We do have a new law that is working its way through the system. It passed the Senate. Nothing has happened in the house since March 12 -- its been making the committee rounds. I'm pretty sure the governor doesn't like the bill.

You can go to Minnesota Legislature. The House Bill is HF0267 and the Senate Bill is SF0099.

Tina